The Student Room Group

Advice really needed please

Hi,

I'm 18 and have wanted to do Medicine ever since I did work experience in a hospital abroad. Due to lack of motivation and commitment (and procrastination!) I performed very poor in my A levels.

After weeks of research I finally managed to secure a place on a foundation science (year 0) course at ****** University for this September. After completion of the first year I would transfer over into Biomedical Science. The 24th isn't far off and I'm dreading each day and in complete doubt about whether I should do this for the next 4 years but I know it's my only route into Medicine!

I just have lost all believe in myself, is it really worth completing this course and then applying for standard 5 year or GEM. (I know they are highly competitive) but I know that if there is a little chance that my plan will succeed, I'm willing to put my 100% in to get a first or 2:1, I just really need a little bit of encouragement, advice and faith :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
How are you planning on explaining why you haven't got a job for 9 years, and financing 5 years of undergrad med/the unsubbed year of GEM?
Original post by chloemo14
How are you planning on explaining why you haven't got a job for 9 years, and financing 5 years of undergrad med/the unsubbed year of GEM?

Money isn't a issue here
Reply 3
Original post by Macromolecular
Money isn't a issue here

Fair enough, I wasn't asking to be snarky, it just seemed like that was an obvious sticking point in your plan. All I can say to help really, as I have no personal experience of graduate admissions, is that I know a number of GEM entry and graduate 5 year entry students on our course, some of whom presumably must have been in the same position as you, and all seem very happy now. If you spend the duration of your degree working your arse off to be a good candidate, and then apply tactically and sensibly, with the motivation to reapply if it's necessary, then you have every chance I guess :smile:
Original post by chloemo14
Fair enough, I wasn't asking to be snarky, it just seemed like that was an obvious sticking point in your plan. All I can say to help really, as I have no personal experience of graduate admissions, is that I know a number of GEM entry and graduate 5 year entry students on our course, some of whom presumably must have been in the same position as you, and all seem very happy now. If you spend the duration of your degree working your arse off to be a good candidate, and then apply tactically and sensibly, with the motivation to reapply if it's necessary, then you have every chance I guess :smile:

Reply 5
Original post by Macromolecular
Hi,

I'm 18 and have wanted to do Medicine ever since I did work experience in a hospital abroad. Due to lack of motivation and commitment (and procrastination!) I performed very poor in my A levels.

After weeks of research I finally managed to secure a place on a foundation science (year 0) course at ****** University for this September. After completion of the first year I would transfer over into Biomedical Science. The 24th isn't far off and I'm dreading each day and in complete doubt about whether I should do this for the next 4 years but I know it's my only route into Medicine!

I just have lost all believe in myself, is it really worth completing this course and then applying for standard 5 year or GEM. (I know they are highly competitive) but I know that if there is a little chance that my plan will succeed, I'm willing to put my 100% in to get a first or 2:1, I just really need a little bit of encouragement, advice and faith :frown:

No amount of encouragement, platitudes or kind words said on here by your fellow applicants or current GEM students will take away the fact that you have at least four years of a long, hard slog ahead of you. That is non-negotiable unfortunately. Whether or not it's "worth it" is something you have to decide for yourself as only you know just how much you want to do medicine and how important it is that you get to do it.

Since this seems to be your only route into medicine, one thing you can do is look at people who have gone through the same process as you and then got into medicine. You can then appreciate that whilst it can seem extremely daunting and a long way off, it's actually very achievable as long as you put the effort in.

Try and also take things as they come: it's fine to have GEM as your ultimate aim and objective, but before then you have to get to grips with what you're doing now. Constantly thinking about medicine and dreading your current course will not necessarily help you do that.
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Try and also take things as they come: it's fine to have GEM as your ultimate aim and objective, but before then you have to get to grips with what you're doing now. Constantly thinking about medicine and dreading your current course will not necessarily help you do that.

Amen to that. Pulling together an application in the final year of my degree has definitely put a dent into my dissertation research and planning over this summer! The good thing for the OP is that they have a few years to build up an application and personal statement (if they so choose).
Reply 7
Or you can reaaaaaally buckle up and do your Year zero course. These courses have low contact time and you'd be able to resit an A Level or two at the same time. That'll give you a crack at getting into a med college (Definitely none of the "top" ones but whatever).
Reply 8
Original post by tamimi
Or you can reaaaaaally buckle up and do your Year zero course. These courses have low contact time and you'd be able to resit an A Level or two at the same time. That'll give you a crack at getting into a med college (Definitely none of the "top" ones but whatever).

Please stop, this really isn't the case :no:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending