The Student Room Group
MIZZ
Inflation

How would it affect the following

a pensioner with state and private pension: State pension would change in line w/ inflation so no affect right?

a houseowner with a mortgage

and someone who buys a lot of technological goods

If the pension is index-based (as they are), there is no real income loss. If not, the pensioner loses on real income.

Inflation helps the borrower more than the lender, as what the lender receives at the end would be worth less in real terms. This is one of the reasons for charging interest, to compensate for the loss in worth of the asset due to inflation.

If we assume that technological goods are inflationary, the consumer obviously suffers by having to pay increasing prices. If the good is treated as capital (i.e. an asset) it would be worth less in future.
Reply 2
in the case of the private pension i forgot to add that it remains the same
you've just confirmed what i thought for 1 and 3
however i'm slightly unclear about the mortgage one still
MIZZ
in the case of the private pension i forgot to add that it remains the same
you've just confirmed what i thought for 1 and 3
however i'm slightly unclear about the mortgage one still

OK:

Say I lend you £100 now, and the pair of trainers I wanted were £50 at the time. Assuming I charge no interest, 50% inflation would make them worth £75, so I can't buy two pairs of trainers as I could before, I've lost on real income. Silly example but always helps me :smile:
Reply 4
ah yes
that's the effect on the lender
i need the affect on the borrower i.e person with mortgage

this bit kind of confused me :
Inflation helps the borrower more than the lender, as what the lender receives at the end would be worth less in real terms

btw i appreciate ur help!
MIZZ
ah yes
that's the effect on the lender
i need the affect on the borrower i.e person with mortgage

this bit kind of confused me :
Inflation helps the borrower more than the lender, as what the lender receives at the end would be worth less in real terms

btw i appreciate ur help!

OK, the borrower...

You own a mortgage. It's for £100,000. Inflation pushes your house price to £200,000. You're now paying half the value of the house on your mortgage. Sell your house and you've made an extra £100,000, not that it'll buy you a better house as other prices may have gone up, but you're better off than if you didn't borrow.

Hope it helps :smile:

Latest