CGP Books, Good Or Bad? Watch

sammey9091
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've had mixed reviews about them, i've got a CGP book for my A2 Business Studies (OCR Marketing Option) & people have said they are for people who are aiming at C grades.
I'm aiming to get an A in my business studies next year so i was wandering should i buy another revision book?

Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can only speak for the OCR Chemistry one - I didn't find it very useful. There was too much information crammed into the pages for my liking, it didn't really help me in anyway. I bought a different revision guide and found it much more useful, because it managed to break down each concept into simple points, making it easier to understand and remember. My friends stopped using the CGP books after a while as well, for the same reason.

Take a look at different revision guides and see which one suits you best. My local library had a couple of revision guides stacked in a corner.
username854791
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never use them solely for revision or as a official study textbook.

I always find them helpful for when I have revised a topic and I can turn to a specfic page of the topic and it can summarise things for me. Also if there are important things missing, I just add to it with a pen. It never seems to contain enough information.. But yh, just add to it, so when your out and about, you can see the notes and even your own.
This Honest
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I will use them coupled with textbooks and notes from class :yes:
Raj K
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
they're good as a guide !! cheaper to buy from amazon!
matthew769
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My teacher swore by it for A Level Physics on AQA as the textbook went into too much detail apparently
chloemo14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Angury)
I can only speak for the OCR Chemistry one - I didn't find it very useful. There was too much information crammed into the pages for my liking, it didn't really help me in anyway. I bought a different revision guide and found it much more useful, because it managed to break down each concept into simple points, making it easier to understand and remember. My friends stopped using the CGP books after a while as well, for the same reason.
See I completely disagree ; I did OCR Salters Chemistry, and used the CGP guide, and it was honestly the only reason I got an A - I can say that assuredly because I had a 30% attendance and I never looked at the textbook due to it being absolutely crammed with wordy paragraphs, explanations that didn't makes sense, and surplus info. The CGP guide seemed to have everything on the syllabus, and nothing more.
That said, a CGP guide will need to be supplemented with practice - lot's of past papers and made up questions. It will also vary by subject. But yeah I wouldn't write them off completely, and definitely not when used in conjunction with other sources.
CLARA_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I almost only revised with them for GCSE, but I don't think they help at all with A Levels... I bought a Maths one for AS and it was pretty hopeless - there was way too much crammed together on a page!
Angury
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chloemo14)
See I completely disagree ; I did OCR Salters Chemistry, and used the CGP guide, and it was honestly the only reason I got an A - I can say that assuredly because I had a 30% attendance and I never looked at the textbook due to it being absolutely crammed with wordy paragraphs, explanations that didn't makes sense, and surplus info. The CGP guide seemed to have everything on the syllabus, and nothing more.
That said, a CGP guide will need to be supplemented with practice - lot's of past papers and made up questions. It will also vary by subject. But yeah I wouldn't write them off completely, and definitely not when used in conjunction with other sources.
I guess it depends on the person. I completed all the questions in the CGP book, got a bit confused with some of the answers and brought them along to my chemistry teacher.. which is when he told me not to bother with the CGP book because he'd never found it helpful. He gave me the name of another OCR Chemistry Guide and I found it way more useful. I just found it difficult to revise from the CGP book because there was too much information floating about. Imo, there are better revision guides out there.

(Original post by CLARA_)
I almost only revised with them for GCSE, but I don't think they help at all with A Levels... I bought a Maths one for AS and it was pretty hopeless - there was way too much crammed together on a page!
Definitely agree with this - too more info on each page just makes it annoying. There are better guides out there which are neater and more concise I reckon. But of course, I can only speak for Chemistry.
Spitfire102
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For my AS Level geography the CGP guide was the only thing I used for revision, and I came out with 94%, so I guess it depends alot on the subject and also what type of reviser you are... My main revision technique is reading the textbook a few times on the days leading up to exams, and then doing a couple of past papers to see what I need to read over again.

I would say the most important thing is just understanding what you are taught and not getting left behind, then when it comes to exams there won't be any topics you will have to learn from scratch, you can just refresh your memory.

I find most textbooks that are given out in class have far too much detail and using them can just complicate things.
sammey9091
Rep:
?
Would there be any particular text book brands that anyone reccomends? I mean, i like the CGP books, i've just heard an awful lot of bad stuff about them... I agree with the fact that alot is crammed into one page for my syllabus, i may need to get a text book that has compacted it down a little, because i am good with the memory stuff, it's just in A level Business i need to learn to have excellent essay writing skills and be able to interpret the facts on the syllabus and anaylse, evaluate, and basically have a logical answer.
Is there any good books on essay writing or any revision book brands that help with the writing too?
NutterFrutter
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
CGP books are awesome when used for revising with your textbook.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I use Cgp books for science and they are pretty good for revising what you've learnt. They're not good to study from thought therefore I advise you to get a textbook or something.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
dongonaeatu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sammey9091)
I've had mixed reviews about them, i've got a CGP book for my A2 Business Studies (OCR Marketing Option) & people have said they are for people who are aiming at C grades.
I'm aiming to get an A in my business studies next year so i was wandering should i buy another revision book?
for the sciences, especially biology and i personally think chemistry; they are invaluable. The maths one wasn't quite as good, not bad though but there's lots of maths resources online. God bless
MadeleineH
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i hated the CGP books, i always felt there was too much crammed onto one page and i found i learnt better from books with more colour and they were pretty dull :rolleyes:
tory88
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say good at GCSE, bad at A level. I found they oversimplified concepts and ignored key elements that are intrinsic in solving harder problems (working at a C level is probably about right). Once you get to a level I'd recommend using a course textbook and making your own set of notes from there.
Bonoahx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used the CGP book for Science and got what I expected to get, so I guess it's OK. But I used one for History, and it didn't tell you a thing about exam technique or time management and I ended up messing up the most important part of the exam, and now I have to go and ask to resit it.
blahblahblah1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
CGP are good for the basics but you can't soley rely on them for exam revision. The revision guides written by exam boards are by far the best I have ever used (if your with AQA they endorse there own revision guides for every subject they do). As they tell you exactly what they are looking for in the exam. They are more expensive than CGP but worth the investment.
sammey9091
Rep:
?
Thank you, i'm gonna try and track down an OCR Business Studies A2 book now!
dongonaeatu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sammey9091)
Thank you, i'm gonna try and track down an OCR Business Studies A2 book now!
no get the cgp guide
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (409)
67.72%
No (195)
32.28%

Watched Threads