Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I am allowed to use one in the P2 exam, I thought now would be a good time for me to order a graphical calculator but i have no idea what I want to get. I was asking one of my teachers about it and he got loads of catalogues out for me to look at but I didn't really have a clue...He thinks I should get a colour screen and I want one that is quite easy to use (although I'm assured they do not exist!) If anyone can suggest one it would be very useful thanks x

ReputationRep:
    the good old texas instruments ti-89.

ReputationRep:
    No your not allowed to use one in the P2 exam. However they are very useful if you want to use it for P1 and P4 (A2 Module)

I'm currently using the Sharp EL 9900 and it is very easy to use.

There is probably newer versions of this but the best way to use a graphical type calculator is to get used to it. It took a little to get used to mine (BIG instruction booklet)...but now i can do anything on it

Hope it helps !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercover-ange)
    As I am allowed to use one in the P2 exam, I thought now would be a good time for me to order a graphical calculator but i have no idea what I want to get. I was asking one of my teachers about it and he got loads of catalogues out for me to look at but I didn't really have a clue...He thinks I should get a colour screen and I want one that is quite easy to use (although I'm assured they do not exist!) If anyone can suggest one it would be very useful thanks x
    or the next best thing, learn how to draw the graphs!!!!
    i take it ur not doin edexcel board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xskater)
    No your not allowed to use one in the P2 exam. However they are very useful if you want to use it for P1 and P4 (A2 Module)
    It depends on the exam board. for edexcel, you can only use one for p4-5-6

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure it changes from exam board. I'm on OCR and you couldn't use graphix calculators on P1 or P2 but every other module available

ReputationRep:
    I'm on OCR so get to use it on P2 and some others but not quite sure which yet. I will learn how to draw the graphs as well but as soon as I see I can get a new toy to play with I'm off!!!!! Thankyou for suggestions! xxx

ReputationRep:
    On EdExcel you can use one for P2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Are u sure,because sometimes they ask u to draw trigonometric graphs

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...pring_2003.pdf

ReputationRep:
    ah ok,well,its still better to learn em innit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    since when? i remember doing my P2 in summer 2002 and the front of the booklet clearly said graphical calculators are not allowed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    since when? i remember doing my P2 in summer 2002 and the front of the booklet clearly said graphical calculators are not allowed
    On AQA B, You can use a calculator for P1 but not for P2.

The content for P1 and P2 at AS on AQA B is divided differently to that of OCR. (Obviously)

Although they nearly always ask questions that require mathemtical knowledge/skill, harldy ever using a graphic calculator.

ReputationRep:
    For EDEXCEL, you can use it for P2, P4, P5 and P6 (and all the application modules). I have CASIO fx-7400G Plus. Dont get one with an integration/differentiation mode, as it wont be allowed. Check the specification for your exam board. I still recommend the CASIO, its really awesome; store formulae on it too.

ReputationRep:
    I have both a casio fx7400g plus and a cfx 9850g, the 9850 is miles better cos it does calculus, intercepts, recurrence relations and virtually anything you care to name except algebraic manipulation, in OCR ur not allowed a graphic calc in p1, or p3 but in p2 it was really useful.

ReputationRep:
    You are not allowed to use graphic calculators that have such advanced functions or programming capabilities.

ReputationRep:
    i swear edexcel don't allow any graphics calc of any type in any module,
    (or at least in my school neways) can any one find me some actual proof from the edexcel site that the're allowed so i can blast it in front of our examination officer before its too late

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandoug)
    i swear edexcel don't allow any graphics calc of any type in any module,
    (or at least in my school neways) can any one find me some actual proof from the edexcel site that the're allowed so i can blast it in front of our examination officer before its too late

thanks
    You are allowed graphical calculators for all Edexcel modules, besides P1 and P3. You're not allowed calculators that do symbolic algebra for any module, though. I can't find proof of this anywhere on the Edexcel website, apart from on the covers of the specimen papers, all of which can be found here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    You are allowed graphical calculators for all Edexcel modules, besides P1 and P3. You're not allowed calculators that do symbolic algebra for any module, though. I can't find proof of this anywhere on the Edexcel website, apart from on the covers of the specimen papers, all of which can be found here.
    You can use certain graphic calculators for Edexcel P2, P4, P5 and P6. I would recommend not using one for the exams, since I think you learn more by using scientific calculators and sketching and thinking more.

I've got a Casio and a Texas Instruments Ti 83 Plus. Although Casios are the daddies of scientific calculators, when it comes to graphic calculators Texas is in a league of its own .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    You can use certain graphic calculators for Edexcel P2, P4, P5 and P6. I would recommend not using one for the exams, since I think you learn more by using scientific calculators and sketching and thinking more.
    There was a curve sketching question in the Edexcel P2 in June last year and I would have been stuck without my calculator (would probably just have had to write down values of x and then work out corresponding y-values). Also, they help for polar co-ordinates in P4.. isn't kinda time consuming if you have to draw yourself 'polar co-ordinate graph paper' (as suggested you can in the Heinnemann textbook)?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.