The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

How comparable is LSE to the IVYs? Really

Scroll to see replies

AmericanSaint

Side note: I’m personally trying to pick between LSE, St. Andrew’s, Columbia and a few American schools that have given me half scholarships (NYU/American/George Washington). If anyone’s got an opinion, shout it out, s’il vous plaît.

i am sure most americans are going to go to grad school after the LSE in the states and i think it might be a bit better for grad if you choose the lse over columbia. 1. you will aid in diversity, too many ivy undergrads apply for grad in the US so you will have a slight advantage. 2. i am sure LSE's rep in academia is amazing, harvard's top professor amartya sen was part of LSE's faculty back in the day so i am sure all the top colleges have heard of the lse. i think several pretty good rankings for international publications put the lse 4th in politics and 3 in economics and these rankings are solely based on academic influence.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Well, Sen made his name at Oxford... then went to Harvard for a bit, then Cambridge, back to Harvard. He did swing round LSE this year though.
Reply 22
From my reading, LSE is on par with the lower-level Ivies like Dartmouth and Penn. Not Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford/MIT (those would probably be of equal prestige/standards to Oxbridge), but good enough IMO.

Anyhow...
President_Ben
Well, Sen made his name at Oxford... then went to Harvard for a bit, then Cambridge, back to Harvard. He did swing round LSE this year though.

he taught at lse from 1971-1977
Reply 24
President_Ben
If the knowledge of unis worldwide that HR staff in the UK is anything to go by, I'd hope for something similar.

It's not. British HR staff have no choice but to be acquainted with unis from all over the world, since they have no hope of filling all the positions with qualified people from the UK only. You look at the top companies in the US, and a vast majority of the work force is American or graduated from American unis.

jimmydoerre3
actually americans love oxbridge, i mean i think thats the only thing they know outside of the US. but you are right, if you graduate from the LSE you need to stay in nyc or los angeles and san francisco or something, i mean a lot of people havent even heard of u of chicago in the south so forget the lse.

btw, i am really confused about the lse's rep, is it only well known in europe and to academia?

LSE is well-known pretty much everywhere outside of the US. Due to the large amount of top-notch unis in the US, there really is no need to for most Americans to even consider unis outside of the US. Due to the amount of Chinese and Indian people at LSE, I wouldn't be surprised if LSE had a better reputation than Oxford and Cambridge in China and India.
jimmydoerre3
he taught at lse from 1971-1977

I know. His major works where however done while at Oxford.

You look at the top companies in the US, and a vast majority of the work force is American or graduated from American unis.

Well, who wants to work in the USA apart from Americans? :confused:

I wouldn't be surprised if LSE had a better reputation than Oxford and Cambridge in China and India.

India - Tagore and Ghandi are from UCL. A string of significant politicians are from LSE. But India has significant strength is their own IIT and IIM places. (albeit, students apparently so sorely lacking in creativity, it is shocking)

China - Oxford and Cambridge have poems written about them which are (relatively) well known-ish or studied. Chinese universities have looked at them and lead US unis to model their own unis on.

LSE is still fundamentally, a small place that hits big. Might need to bulk up to hit harder but that would be hard for it to do.
Reply 26
President_Ben
Well, who wants to work in the USA apart from Americans? :confused:

I hope you're joking there. The 11 million who are there illegally suggests that there are quite a few...
AmericanSaint
Determining the prestige level or the quality of education of schools just in the United States alone is difficult enough—trying to compare across systems is harder. Which criterion do you pick to evaluate the schools on: word of mouth or “scientific” rankings? “Word of mouth” is as unreliable as it sounds. Having searched CollegeConfidential, the American equivalent of this site for mentions of LSE, it appears that the same conclusion on LSE’s level of prestige isn’t drawn twice. The problem with world rankings is that they're essentially all for graduate programs or based on criteria that don’t affect undergraduates directly. Trying to figure out how that translates to the potential undergraduate experience is, in my opinion, nigh-impossible. They’re a measuring-post, not a fine instrument.

One of the things that are easy to compare, however, is cost. Assuming that there’s no financial aid from either institution, the cost of a degree from LSE is very roughly half of that from an Ivy League school. If you’re looking to go on and get a Master’s degree, then attending a British school to save money for that next step might be a prudent decision. Of course, some American schools will let you work on your Master’s when you’re an undergrad, which can shave a year off. From what I’ve read, LSE certainly carries the academic credibility to get one (with work) into a good graduate program—a keener determinant of career success that where one went as an undergrad. Plus, as an American it is pretty darn awesome to have an international school on our résumé as it reveals a lot about your personal character and independence.

Side note: I’m personally trying to pick between LSE, St. Andrew’s, Columbia and a few American schools that have given me half scholarships (NYU/American/George Washington). If anyone’s got an opinion, shout it out, s’il vous plaît.

I agree with you on the many issues you address here...rankings, etc. and money. On your side note I've also just been accepted into GW, Honors Program and half tuition merit aid, all in that pretty big blue folder. I've also got two unconditionals & a conditional, and am waiting on 3, all UoL courses...I'm pretty definitely set on the UK, but for other reasons too, I'm originally from there, have family in London, love the place, etc. Comparisons are nearly meaningless when made at the superficial name recognition level. So many other factors influence quality. Tough choices we both have...The best of luck to you.
Reply 28
Bismarck
I hope you're joking there. The 11 million who are there illegally suggests that there are quite a few...

I think he meant who else would want to work in the top US companies aside from Americans; I don't think he was referring to all people working in America in general
President_Ben
Poor smucks :frown:

Do you mean schmucks?
Bismarck
The cost of living in London is significantly higher than in New York. A year in London (including tuition) will easily cost you $40k. Multiply that by 3, and you end up with $120k. If you have a half scholarship from Columbia, that means you'll be paying about $25-30k a year, which ends up less than $120k for the total degree. And unless you're planning to work outside of the US, you're really going to be shooting yourself in the foot by not going to Columbia. It might be ranked about the same as LSE internationally, but in the US, most employers haven't even heard of the LSE.

You must be some high roller...$20 thou just to live...wo...it can be way cheaper than that.
Reply 31
dismal_laundry
You must be some high roller...$20 thou just to live...wo...it can be way cheaper than that.

According to the LSE, you should expect to spend 1,000 pounds a month. Granted it's possible to live on 600-700, but only if you're not much of a bar/club person. Regardless, food in London costs twice as much and rent is higher as well. Transport is significantly more expensive.
Reply 32
I think LSE is on par with Cornell, Penn, Dartmouth, Brown and Columbia in terms of general reputation and better than these lesser ivies in its specialty namely economics, politics, social science.
Bismarck
According to the LSE, you should expect to spend 1,000 pounds a month. Granted it's possible to live on 600-700, but only if you're not much of a bar/club person. Regardless, food in London costs twice as much and rent is higher as well. Transport is significantly more expensive.

Thank G-d I have a free place to live
Also, isn't your travelcard discounted?
Reply 35
You get 30 per cent discount if you're a student. But it's still expensive.
It's less if you buy it quarterly...but then you might lose it.
Reply 37
dismal_laundry
Thank G-d I have a free place to live

Ah, well that makes a big difference then.

Also, isn't your travelcard discounted?

Not by enough. And unless you use public transport at least 6 days a week, it's no longer worthwhile to buy a weekly/monthly/quarterly pass.
if you cycle, buy pasta and get sum **** kicker job in a supermarket u will be fine
Bismarck - depends how often you use peak time travel. If you do, you only need to travel 4 days a week for it to start saving you money.

I use it 5 times a week and usually on the weekends so it saves a healthy amount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending