Watch
This discussion is closed.
Apollo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I think you are confused mate - I was mainly directing this to G4ry, because he was the one being stupid.

This was in no way directed at you whatsoever.
o lol i think u r right. Very sorry
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
o lol i think u r right. Very sorry
No probs.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
They don't try and ban freedom of speech.
You gave that up when you joined the forum. One can't post explicit images and posts which are not in the viewing nature for younger viewers of this forum. Therefore you're only playing by d and the moderators rules; so you don't have freedom of speech - just merely censorship.

I never said i wanted this forum to be full of political discussion. It's a "student" forum - which when one considers that questions about school subjects, universities, issues regarding students and maybe a bit of social life springs to mind. I'm not saying ban every single thread that does not fall into one of those categories. Just i really don't see a need why a thread on hair straighteners warrants a thread on a student forum or a thread titled "how long is your hair?", "how big is your nose?", "what colour socks should i wear tomorrow?" and so on . Could this person not search on the internet if that person was really interested in finding out?

If people are really bored at school and want to chat they can go to the UKL chat room.

This is the address:

http://www.uk-learning.net/chat and they can spread the word about it to other forum members and more people will go there soon.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
You gave that up when you joined the forum. One can't post explicit images and posts which are not in the viewing nature for younger viewers of this forum. Therefore you're only playing by d and the moderators rules; so you don't have freedom of speech - just merely censorship.
Clearly you are mistaken.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

I never said i wanted this forum to be full of political discussion. It's a "student" forum - which when one considers that questions about school subjects, universities, issues regarding students and maybe a bit of social life springs to mind. I'm not saying ban every single thread that does not fall into one of those categories. Just i really don't see a need why a thread on hair straighteners warrants a thread on a student forum or a thread titled "how long is your hair?", "how big is your nose?", "what colour socks should i wear tomorrow?" and so on . Could this person not search on the internet if that person was really interested in finding out?
If the thread was non-offensive and people were discussing it, then it is not of any of your concern.

Clearly because the thread in question didn't suit *your* thread likes, you chose to go whining to the moderators and delete a thread that shouldn't have been deleted.

As I said, once you start dictating what people can say etc. then you know that what you're doing is blatantly crap.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
okay two questions:

One, Why is bono, 2003 ukl worst spammer and enemy number 1 of the gentlemen's league, on a thread that is supposed to be about not spamming?

Two, would it help if the mods deleted all the threads that haven't been replied to in like a week?
Mr White
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by moncal)
okay two questions:

One, Why is bono, 2003 ukl worst spammer and enemy number 1 of the gentlemen's league, on a thread that is supposed to be about not spamming?

Two, would it help if the mods deleted all the threads that haven't been replied to in like a week?
Yes... bono should leave this thread alone, and stick to what he's best at - mainly "What is your favourite cheese" type threads. A good idea would be to create a subforum for him alone to post in. That way, he can still maintain his post count, and feel contended at knowing his name is near the top of a list, yet we don't have to read any of his posts. I think that it would work for everyone.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Yes... bono should leave this thread alone, and stick to what he's best at - mainly "What is your favourite cheese" type threads. A good idea would be to create a subforum for him alone to post in. That way, he can still maintain his post count, and feel contended at knowing his name is near the top of a list, yet we don't have to read any of his posts. I think that it would work for everyone.
It's a good idea but i don't think the mods would do it since then other people would want their own subforum. I really think that bono would like the idea though.

What about deleteing the old forums. Would that help with the busy server messages?
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Couldnt they archive old posts on a different site or in a subforum that would make the place loads tidier I think.
Mr White
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
Couldnt they archive old posts on a different site or in a subforum that would make the place loads tidier I think.
Probably, but it would make stuff harder to find, I'd imagine.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
They could lock all the older threads within a certain date.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah but do we really need to find the stuff that keeps getting dredged up by newbies from 6 months ago.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maybe if they cleared out the older chatty threads and left the ones with anything of lasting value it would clear out the clutter.

I wonder if the site could get more money if some of the sponsored links were made into pop-ups (not that I like pop-ups but they're easily blocked from our end and could pay for a few mor upgrades)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oh and delete all the posts along the lines of "send me your work cos im a lazy illiterate genk to [email protected]"

:mad:
Mr White
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Maybe if they cleared out the older chatty threads and left the ones with anything of lasting value it would clear out the clutter.

I wonder if the site could get more money if some of the sponsored links were made into pop-ups (not that I like pop-ups but they're easily blocked from our end and could pay for a few mor upgrades)
Good idea - everyone has pop-up blockers anyway, so it wouldn't really affect us.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Oh and delete all the posts along the lines of "send me your work cos im a lazy illiterate genk to [email protected]"

:mad:
Eh... genk?

Is that yiddish?
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Yeah but do we really need to find the stuff that keeps getting dredged up by newbies from 6 months ago.
I don't think so. Today a Who hates harry potter thread got brought up again and there are already so many.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Eh... genk?

Is that yiddish?
no just the first insulting sounding word that came to mind :confused:
Mr White
Rep:
?
no just the first insulting sounding word that came to mind :confused:
Still... genk?
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Mr. White i was looking at your signature and i'm slightly curius as to what bono's first 3 names were?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (91)
26.84%
England (111)
32.74%
Belgium (27)
7.96%
Germany (39)
11.5%
Spain (7)
2.06%