The Student Room Group

2013 Pharmacy applicants :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
Hey guys, i applied last year for pharmacy and didn't get my grades.

I applied for UEA, Bath, Nottingham, Reading and Hertfordshire incase you want to know the interview style questions/uni campus/teaching etc

I'm a reapplicant though, applying to Reading and Hertfordshire!

How come you are applying at Hertfordshire it ain't a good school of pharmacy ? :smile:
Reply 81
Hello,
I really wanna do pharmacy but i'm not sure i'll get accepted.
I've just finished my AS year and got ABB, A in psychology, B in chemistry and B in biology.
The B in bio was 1 mark off an A, so i'm re-doing the coursework and retaking the unit 1 exam for chem as it went badly wrong and I got a C.
I work in a pharmacy as a counter assistant, and have done work experience at a hospital including in the pharmacy.

I've done loads of charity shop volunteering and visit the elderly weekly.

I'm looking at applying to Nottingham, Cardiff, Reading, Huddersfield and Brighton/Portsmouth.
My predicted grades will be AAB.

Do you think it'll be okay, or shall I choose nursing instead? :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Char-
Hello,
I've just finished my AS year and got ABB, A in psychology, B in chemistry and B in biology.
The B in bio was 1 mark off an A, so i'm re-doing the coursework and retaking the unit 1 exam for chem as it went badly wrong and I got a C.
I work in a pharmacy as a counter assistant, and have done work experience at a hospital including in the pharmacy.

I'm looking at applying to Nottingham, Cardiff, Reading, Huddersfield and Brighton/Portsmouth.

You should definately go for pharmacy if the course and career appeals to you. ABB is fine and if you got AAB predicted then it just so happens that all the unis you mentioned want aab or abb. also you have lots of work experience in varying areas of work that will look great on your ps and will give you lots to mention in an interview. Long story short you have great prospects for pharmacy, just maybe make sure you get predicted a in chemistry, I'm applying to Brighton too :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Shanice.x
They do consider taking retake students however usually they do put the grades up to AAA instead of AAB

'retake' students meaning those students who took 3 years to complete their A levels instead of 2 years. You can do as many resits as you want within the 2 year period and still not have your application disadvantaged :smile: (Source - Contacted admissions of all the unis I applied for, then resat all of AS exams in A2 year and got 5 offers)

Original post by Craming Revision
chances with CCD? predictions are ABC

Hiya, you could try applying to Liverpool John Moores, they (and Kingston but probably dont apply there because it's yuck) require BBB. However, at interview day we were told if you firmed them they would stretch as far as BCC to 'honour the commitment made to them' by you, the applicant. So deffo keep LJMU in mind if you really can't budge your C up to a B! :redface:
Hi guys, I'm starting Pharmacy this year, so can give advice on interviews etc if you need it :smile:
I got offers from Cardiff (going there woop!), Manchester, Rob Gordon, Liverpool JM and Kingston - so hopefully can be of use if you have any Qs specific to these interviews/ unis/ in general xox
Original post by Char-
Hello,

I think the grades are brilliant enough to get all the offers for Pharmacy from the universities you've mentioned. And ofcourse not you dont need to apply for nursing your grades are good enough so you'll be okay and go for pharmacy. :smile:
Original post by Dollyandra
'retake' students meaning those students who took 3 years to complete their A levels instead of 2 years. You can do as many resits as you want within the 2 year period and still not have your application disadvantaged :smile: (Source - Contacted admissions of all the unis I applied for, then resat all of AS exams in A2 year and got 5 offers)

Hiya, you could try applying to Liverpool John Moores, they (and Kingston but probably dont apply there because it's yuck) require BBB. However, at interview day we were told if you firmed them they would stretch as far as BCC to 'honour the commitment made to them' by you, the applicant. So deffo keep LJMU in mind if you really can't budge your C up to a B! :redface:

heyyy thanks :smile: is ljmu any good? :x

Yes ljmu is a good university for pharmacy. :smile:
Original post by Paracetamolpharm
Yes ljmu is a good university for pharmacy. :smile:

it says 300-320 points and minimum of as bio
i dont have a.s bio also um what is 300 points lol sorry btw in my other a.s i got an A so yea :redface: il email them if they accept stats or psychology, i emailed manchester and they don't mind similarly with heartfordshire.
it says 300-320 points and minimum of as bio
i dont have a.s bio also um what is 300 points lol sorry btw in my other a.s i got an A so yea :redface: il email them if they accept stats or psychology, i emailed manchester and they don't mind similarly with heartfordshire.

300 points is BBB. :smile: Yeah email them and ask them just like you did with Manchester university, okay that is excellent that Manchester and Hertfordshire don't mind it great going then . :smile:
300 points is BBB. :smile: Yeah email them and ask them just like you did with Manchester university, okay that is excellent that Manchester and Hertfordshire don't mind it great going then . :smile:

wow ljmu sent a quick reply saying no they need bio a.s so either drop one of your subjects :frown: im taking them out the equation then -.^ the pikey sods lol.

Hey :smile: Umm I don't want to speak against it, but take a look here for some indication: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-pharmacy-pharmacology

Excluding a few of the obvious ones like Dundee, Bristol, Edinburgh bc they only offer Pharmacology, you can see LJMU near the bottom of the list.

If you can only get BBB and still want to do Pharmacy, then it's a great place to go and a great opportunity. But if you're getting AAA/AAB I'd suggest somewhere else. It's kind of in a skanky area of Liverpool and the facilities aren't great. You can see from the link above that there are 22 students per staff member (UEA 14:1 to get an idea), and that the satisfaction rates are well below that of other unis...you get the picture. I've heard it's a lot better than Kingston (the only other uni atm offering Pharmacy with BBB) though.

However, there's no point in being elitist considering the MPharm is not particularly university-dependent (that is to say you're less likely to be disadvantaged because of the institution you got the degree from than other subjects) as it's a respectable degree anyway. On a plus note they're all very friendly there! And Liverpool officially has the cheapest night out in the UK! :tongue:

Don't avoid it, just know there are better ones out there :smile:
wow ljmu sent a quick reply saying no they need bio a.s so either drop one of your subjects :frown: im taking them out the equation then -.^ the pikey sods lol.

Now it is upto you to decide as to which way you feel comfortable . :smile:

What have you decided ? :smile:
Original post by Dollyandra
Hey :smile: Umm I don't want to speak against it, but take a look here for some indication: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-pharmacy-pharmacology

Excluding a few of the obvious ones like Dundee, Bristol, Edinburgh bc they only offer Pharmacology, you can see LJMU near the bottom of the list.

If you can only get BBB and still want to do Pharmacy, then it's a great place to go and a great opportunity. But if you're getting AAA/AAB I'd suggest somewhere else. It's kind of in a skanky area of Liverpool and the facilities aren't great. You can see from the link above that there are 22 students per staff member (UEA 14:1 to get an idea), and that the satisfaction rates are well below that of other unis...you get the picture. I've heard it's a lot better than Kingston (the only other uni atm offering Pharmacy with BBB) though.

However, there's no point in being elitist considering the MPharm is not particularly university-dependent (that is to say you're less likely to be disadvantaged because of the institution you got the degree from than other subjects) as it's a respectable degree anyway. On a plus note they're all very friendly there! And Liverpool officially has the cheapest night out in the UK! :tongue:

Don't avoid it, just know there are better ones out there :smile:

just sent an email and they practically rejected me within 3 mins lololol, they said we do NOT take anybody on board who hasn't done a.s bio either drop one of your subjects or you will not be offered an interview, bit harsh ehh :/
Now it is upto you to decide as to which way you feel comfortable . :smile:

What have you decided ? :smile:

no clue still gutted tbh, might just re-do a.s year even though just started a2, so gutted now seeing as all uni's want ABB etc and like chem + bio :frown:
Reply 95
just sent an email and they practically rejected me within 3 mins lololol, they said we do NOT take anybody on board who hasn't done a.s bio either drop one of your subjects or you will not be offered an interview, bit harsh ehh :/

This is going to sound really stupid but who should you email from any university regarding a question like the one you asked?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 96
I want to apply pharmacy in 2013 for the foundation course because of my dreadfull AS levels DDUU. Is it best for me start my As all over again or carry on with A2s Chemistry and psychology and an equivalent of an A-level science and maybe pick up an extra As level. overall the universitites want 240-280 tarif points
I'm soo confused. What shall I exactly do?

Please reply quickly.

Thanks.
Original post by momomo123
I want to apply pharmacy in 2013 for the foundation course because of my dreadfull AS levels DDUU. Is it best for me start my As all over again or carry on with A2s Chemistry and psychology and an equivalent of an A-level science and maybe pick up an extra As level. overall the universitites want 240-280 tarif points
I'm soo confused. What shall I exactly do?

Please reply quickly.

Thanks.

im in same position

yeah definitely :frown: How about looking into foundation courses? there are some mentioned a few pages back. See whether they require bio or not. If not, you could try taking AS bio on the side during A2 :smile: xx
Reply 99
Original post by James A
Hey guys, i applied last year for pharmacy and didn't get my grades.

I applied for UEA, Bath, Nottingham, Reading and Hertfordshire incase you want to know the interview style questions/uni campus/teaching etc

I'm a reapplicant though, applying to Reading and Hertfordshire!

Hey. What subjects did you do?
I want to apply for 3/5 of the ones you do.
I really like the sound of UEA and Nottingham, but no idea what they are like.
Were the interviews very formal and asked a lot of scientific questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending