Turn on thread page Beta

Short essay questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm alright at doing exams where there is just one essay for 60 marks, but am a bit confused how to write the ones with 2 questions in, say 10 marks for one and 15 for the next. do u write sort of mini essays, with intro, conc etc? how many paragraphs should these questions take?

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have a book for A-level, which has examiner reports on short answered essays. They require a small introduction and conclusion; however the aim of these are, obviously to introduce and conclude the subject, therefore do not go into much detail on them. 2-3 lines should suffice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Well, I have a book for A-level, which has examiner reports on short answered essays. They require a small introduction and conclusion; however the aim of these are, obviously to introduce and conclude the subject, therefore do not go into much detail on them. 2-3 lines should suffice.
    What book is this?

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar thing for my Chartist A2 paper (I think...) and I didn;t have any s[ecific way of answeing them. i divided teh time into fifths and tehn gave 2/5 of teh time for teh first question adn 3/5 ths for the second.

In terms of intros, paragraphs, etc., I just wrote as it occurred to me. I never really planned, I just managed to put things down as they occurred to me and have a style that let me flow between the topics in question. I didn't specify lengths of anything, or say to myself, "right, i've done 5 paragraphs, now it's the conclusion", I just based it all around how much I could remember.

It all depends on what you're like and how you like writing. if you're the kind of person who likes to sepnd teh time planning with diagrams, paragraph plans etc. then you just need to ensure you leave enough time to write it all.

if, on teh otehr hand, like me you prefer to write in an organic kind of amnner then just keep an eye on the clock throughout. If you go over time in teh first question, you will cut the number of marks you could get for the second. i know from bitter personal experience...

ReputationRep:
    Letts A2 History.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2006

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.