The Student Room Group

"How can a university have no vowels?" or, madders94 goes to Glyndwr!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by madders94
As is "y" :tongue:

I gather they're both semi-vowels in English too :holmes:
hi
im from wrexham and im off to uni myself on sunday to brum so i know how excited you are!!! info for you:
Wrexham is set in a beautiful area and especially when you travel further into wales and there is some truly stunning scenery!!!
Wrexham as a town however is, although very friendly, not that good. Depending what music your into there are only 2 clubs
central station and liquid/envy. ( im not sure if i think its **** as is used to be so much better so im biased). They do have some good cheap nights (sundays especially) and the pubs/clubs try and get the punters in but generally all days except sat are pretty dead!!!!!
One bonus is the closness of all the pubs/clubs!!! if it rains, your only ever 10m away from somewhere!!!
Alot of the shops in the town centre have close so it looks a bit desolate, as a new shopping centre was built ( with bowling cinema frankie and bennies pizza express nandos debenhams boots subway starbucks etc etc).
I think as long as ur not expecting a big town atmosphere or clubbing standards your ok. Or if u get 15-16 mates together u can get a minibus to liverpool/manchester for 180/200 rtn which is £11 each rtn so that aint bad ( id def recommend using wrexham and prestige taxis as they are the biggest so the fastest and have callback for safety and all drivers are crb checked etc and i have used them, as well as all my mates, for 15 yrs+ and they're excellent!!
your right by aldi and sainsburys and we've not long had a morrisons which aint far from campus( go 830 in eve for mindblowing 9p mega bargains!!)
Overall wrexham is nice, but you may have to make your own entertainment!!
hope this helps??? ps a bus runs daily to Barmouth from main bus station so u can visit the beach if ya need to or catch the train to prestatyn!!
have fun and good luck with your studies!!!!!
Reply 42
i'm off to glyndwr as well to do aero/mech engineering :biggrin: it's only a 30 min walk away. can't wait to get enrolled next Friday.
Reply 43
Original post by cathjones28
hi
im from wrexham and im off to uni myself on sunday to brum so i know how excited you are!!! info for you:
Wrexham is set in a beautiful area and especially when you travel further into wales and there is some truly stunning scenery!!!
Wrexham as a town however is, although very friendly, not that good. Depending what music your into there are only 2 clubs
central station and liquid/envy. ( im not sure if i think its **** as is used to be so much better so im biased). They do have some good cheap nights (sundays especially) and the pubs/clubs try and get the punters in but generally all days except sat are pretty dead!!!!!
One bonus is the closness of all the pubs/clubs!!! if it rains, your only ever 10m away from somewhere!!!
Alot of the shops in the town centre have close so it looks a bit desolate, as a new shopping centre was built ( with bowling cinema frankie and bennies pizza express nandos debenhams boots subway starbucks etc etc).
I think as long as ur not expecting a big town atmosphere or clubbing standards your ok. Or if u get 15-16 mates together u can get a minibus to liverpool/manchester for 180/200 rtn which is £11 each rtn so that aint bad ( id def recommend using wrexham and prestige taxis as they are the biggest so the fastest and have callback for safety and all drivers are crb checked etc and i have used them, as well as all my mates, for 15 yrs+ and they're excellent!!
your right by aldi and sainsburys and we've not long had a morrisons which aint far from campus( go 830 in eve for mindblowing 9p mega bargains!!)
Overall wrexham is nice, but you may have to make your own entertainment!!
hope this helps??? ps a bus runs daily to Barmouth from main bus station so u can visit the beach if ya need to or catch the train to prestatyn!!
have fun and good luck with your studies!!!!!

Hey, thanks :smile: I know the area fairly well and the bus back to Barmouth is the one I catch to go home because that's where I live :tongue: I love ALDI because it's open till 9pm :love: I'm not a fan of Liquid Envy because it's sooo far away, I prefer the Cent (the new one) but I'm going to try Central Station at some point. They've got Primark, Starbucks and Eagles Meadow and that's all that matters to me :biggrin:
Reply 44
Is it pronounced

Glyn dower

I think I have heard someone say the name,and I remember it sounded like I said.
It's pronounced Glin-Door.

Source: I live near it and that's how everyone in Wrexham pronounces it.
Reply 46
Original post by Annie72
Is it pronounced

Glyn dower

I think I have heard someone say the name,and I remember it sounded like I said.

Glin-door :smile: "Glyn dower" is the English pronounciation of it and it's very annoying :tongue:
Reply 47
Glin-door :smile: "Glyn dower" is the English pronounciation of it and it's very annoying :tongue:

My apologies :redface:.I should know how to pronounce the first bit as that's my surname, I have another N though.
Reply 48
Original post by deadsmurfette
Glad you are enjoying uni, I have a couple of friends who seem to be having a rough time which makes me a bit nervous - I am a bit socially awkward at times so I'm kind of dreading moving into a flat full of people I don't know!!

My mum and brother will see me for the last time before I leave tonight! My dad is taking me up on Friday and they will be at work/school by the time I wake up. It is my cats I am really going to miss though - if they aren't in on Friday morning so I can say goodbye and give them a good squeeze I might cry, (I might anyway, I love one of my cats like he's my child LOL).

Have a good time tonight (Or this morning... I am up ridiculously late so you may already be back,in which case I hope you had a good night.)!

Just realised I have gone in about myself an awful lot here haha... sorry for hijacking your blog :tongue: I would start my own but I'm not very good with words.:biggrin:

Awh :smile: I was so nervous before going because I'm a shy person but I made sure I kind of pushed myself out there and was friendly and everything, and I've made loads of friends and had a great time so far, I'm sure you will too! :smile:
Reply 49
Quiet night in tonight. I didn't actually make it to the club last night, I got about 50 paces outside my halls before someone invited me to their flat for drinks, so there was four of us doing absinthe shots and shots of goldschlager - after pre-drinking with drinking games in my flat for a while. As you can imagine, I wasn't exactly sober at this point (probably the most drunk I've ever been, actually) and probably revealing allsorts about my life.

Went to Chester Zoo today and it was amazing :awesome: so glad I went :h: I'm still working on getting my flat tidy, but tonight I'll try and get pictures up! :smile:
Reply 50
just a quick question. have you managed to get your course timetable off gaia.newi yet?, the websites been down for me the past few days so i only have my times for next week.
Reply 51
Original post by carrmatt93
just a quick question. have you managed to get your course timetable off gaia.newi yet?, the websites been down for me the past few days so i only have my times for next week.

It's also been down for me all week; I'm assuming they haven't noticed and someone will mention it to IT services and get it sorted tomorrow?
Reply 52
Original post by benwilliamsuk
It's also been down for me all week; I'm assuming they haven't noticed and someone will mention it to IT services and get it sorted tomorrow?

hopefully, i guess it will either be fixed in the next few days or they may hand out paper copies for semester 1 until it's sorted.
Reply 53
Original post by benwilliamsuk

Original post by carrmatt93
hopefully, i guess it will either be fixed in the next few days or they may hand out paper copies for semester 1 until it's sorted.

It's down for me too at the moment, I enrol on Wednesday (although I've already done it online), hopefully we'll get paper copies if it isnt fixed by then!
Reply 54
It's down for me too at the moment, I enrol on Wednesday (although I've already done it online), hopefully we'll get paper copies if it isnt fixed by then!

Yeah hopefully; I'm on my way into Uni now - just waiting for my lift.
Reply 55
So I've been to find out more about my course today, it sounds good and there's a Christmas show which sounds amazing, and we had to do this fun little intro where we imagine we're on a desert island and can only take certain things with us, what would they be? Then we had a matriculation ceremony with the Vice Chancellor, and it was all a bit grand considering we were all sitting there in hoodies and raincoats (seems the Welsh weather is the same wherever you are in Wales!), and there was a fanfare and strange outfits, but it was alright. Then we had a break, followed by a library induction, and now I'm back at the flat and waiting to get ready for tonight - a school uniform disco and karaoke! :smile:
Reply 56
Seems I am Missing Alot of things:frown:...i wish I had Applied For My Visa Soon...By the Time I reach University I would have missed A whole Lot Of things which Sucks...
Reply 57
timetables are back up which is good (even though i still don't know what group i'm in). now i have to walk in in the rain and hope i don't get soaked by a car like yesterday.
Reply 58
Last night was amazing! It was so much fun, although I went inside to get a bag out of my room for someone before heading off to the nightclub, and then for some reason decided not to go to the nightclub so I made toast and went to bed :lolwut: It really was fun though :smile: Today we had an Independent Study Skills introduction which was alright but a bit boring, all about writing essays and where to get help with it. It's weird but I really am excited to start lectures - my course sounds like so much fun!

Tomorrow is the Freshers Fair - yay, freebies! - and enrolment onto my course, so I need to gather all my paperwork together tonight. I'm thinking of having a quiet night in tonight (and probably tomorrow night), and then on Thursday Judge Jules is in the Cent but it's £8 to get in - I am directly opposite the club, about 20 metres away from it, so I think I'll just open my window and I'll hear it all anyway :tongue:
Reply 59
I love Freshers' Fair.

Just a selection of the stuff we got. I will be living off Pizza Hut for the next few weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest