Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread MK III Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathliga)
    I'm an international applicant so the EU Leavers is not under my category. I looked at the non-EU section and it has no information on the number of places.
    Ah okay. Have you tried contacting their admissions department?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Ah okay. Have you tried contacting their admissions department?
    I only just considered it so I will need to do this then.

ReputationRep:
    I only just considered it so I will need to do this then.
    Good luck with it, I am mucho jealous (I'd love to go to Dublin for medicine if it was affordable!)

ReputationRep:

GCSEs: 5 A*, 6As, 1 B and 3 BTECS.
    AS levels: AABB (Biology, Geography, Maths, Chemistry)

Hey, I'm predicted AAA for Biology, Chemistry and Geography A level at the minute, but i'm quite worried about turning AAB into AAA, will it require a ridiculous amount of hard work and will i need to resit a unit in my chemistry? My school dont predict A* until later in A2 either, which in biology i hope to get. Also i am worried that in comparison to the competition i won't stand a chance. I have lots of extra curricular, volanteering, and work experience to support my p.s but acadmically im no where near as strong as some others. I welcome any honest advice, thankyou.

Looking into applying to Newcastle, Sheffield, Hull York, East Anglia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccas140)
    GCSEs: 5 A*, 6As, 1 B and 3 BTECS.
    AS levels: AABB (Biology, Geography, Maths, Chemistry)

Hey, I'm predicted AAA for Biology, Chemistry and Geography A level at the minute, but i'm quite worried about turning AAB into AAA, will it require a ridiculous amount of hard work and will i need to resit a unit in my chemistry? My school dont predict A* until later in A2 either, which in biology i hope to get. Also i am worried that in comparison to the competition i won't stand a chance. I have lots of extra curricular, volanteering, and work experience to support my p.s but acadmically im no where near as strong as some others. I welcome any honest advice, thankyou.

Looking into applying to Newcastle, Sheffield, Hull York, East Anglia
    Your choices are fine just make sure you have a solid UKCAT score before deciding to apply to Newcastle.
    Academically you are absolutely fine so don't worry about being inferior to other applicants.
    It depends how high or low the B grade is, I would definitely recommend resitting to bring up your UMS. A2 Chemistry is a pain so try to get a solid AS in case A2 exams don't go well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Your choices are fine just make sure you have a solid UKCAT score before deciding to apply to Newcastle.
    Academically you are absolutely fine so don't worry about being inferior to other applicants.
    It depends how high or low the B grade is, I would definitely recommend resitting to bring up your UMS. A2 Chemistry is a pain so try to get a solid AS in case A2 exams don't go well.
    Thankyou so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    I wouldn't think so. Some international applicants don't even have gcse grades. Even if gcse grades were a factor, yours are very good and certainly good enough for those schools.
    Sorry for bothering you again.
    So you told me Leicester and Nottingham are currently a no-no.
    I read the website for Lancaster and they have nothing involved with the UKCAT.
    Also, how about Hull York. I only saw how they categorize the UKCAT scores into sections and then rank us? I'm currently a 5 pointer then.
    I know it's a little bit difficult to answer but apart from Imperial and Bristol (UCL I do not wish to) which other universities would be great?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bothering you again.
    So you told me Leicester and Nottingham are currently a no-no.
    I read the website for Lancaster and they have nothing involved with the UKCAT.
    Also, how about Hull York. I only saw how they categorize the UKCAT scores into sections and then rank us? I'm currently a 5 pointer then.
    I know it's a little bit difficult to answer but apart from Imperial and Bristol (UCL I do not wish to) which other universities would be great?
    As an international you'll already find that competition is going to be a lot more so I would just avoid any medical school which puts any emphasis on UKCAT.
    Lancaster is a non UKCAT medical school so is
    Liverpool and Birmingham so you may wish to consider them.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for re-post but no one seemed to answer..

GCSEs: 2A*, 3A, 3B, 3C
    A-levels: Chem-A, Bio-A*, Maths-A, Phys(AS)-A

My current two choices for Uni are Imperial and Peninsula, would I have a chance at these?

Also, I did 3 days work exp. at southampton hospital last year, am in the process of 2 weeks lab work at Imperial and have 6 weeks research exp. lined up at bournemouth hospital. I may also start volunteer at a care home in the next couple weeks. Is that enough work exp. even though I lack any volunteering until now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leonidas12)
    Sorry for re-post but no one seemed to answer..

GCSEs: 2A*, 3A, 3B, 3C
    A-levels: Chem-A, Bio-A*, Maths-A, Phys(AS)-A

My current two choices for Uni are Imperial and Peninsula, would I have a chance at these?

Also, I did 3 days work exp. at southampton hospital last year, am in the process of 2 weeks lab work at Imperial and have 6 weeks research exp. lined up at bournemouth hospital. I may also start volunteer at a care home in the next couple weeks. Is that enough work exp. even though I lack any volunteering until now?
    What was your UKCAT score?

ReputationRep:
    HAVE I STILL GOT ANY CHANCE AT GETTING IN?

i got a very disappointing ukcat average score-575
    gcse's 9A*s and As in english lit and french
    as levels-As in maths, physics, chem and bio
    have a weeks worth of hospital work experience shadowing in several scanning departments, physiotherapy, renal care, surgery and a clinic
    i volunteer at a residential home once a week
    i have only found 3 medical schools that don't look at ukcat-bristol, liverpool and birmingham. I will most definitely apply to these unless i find several others. is there anywhere else? i've heard that ukcat is an intelligence test, does this mean i am simply not intelligent enough to be a doctor???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1395)
    HAVE I STILL GOT ANY CHANCE AT GETTING IN?

i got a very disappointing ukcat average score-575
    gcse's 9A*s and As in english lit and french
    as levels-As in maths, physics, chem and bio
    have a weeks worth of hospital work experience shadowing in several scanning departments, physiotherapy, renal care, surgery and a clinic
    i volunteer at a residential home once a week
    i have only found 3 medical schools that don't look at ukcat-bristol, liverpool and birmingham. I will most definitely apply to these unless i find several others. is there anywhere else? i've heard that ukcat is an intelligence test, does this mean i am simply not intelligent enough to be a doctor???
    there's UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge, Birmingham and Lancaster too.
    The UKCAT is NOT an intelligence test. It's a tool used to cut the number of applicants, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViceVersa)
    What was your UKCAT score?
    Haven't taken it yet. But lets say I got what they needed UKCAT/BMAT wise, would the rest of my application (grades/work exp.) stand well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    there's UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge, Birmingham and Lancaster too.
    The UKCAT is NOT an intelligence test. It's a tool used to cut the number of applicants, that's all.
    It's also a cashcow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    It's also a cashcow.
    True but isn't it just for Pearson vue ?

ReputationRep:
    Are my GCSE's too low for Oxford, and are my ums scores too low for Cambridge?

GCSE: 6A*, 3A, 1B
    AS: aaaa (Chem = 92%), (Bio = 91%), (Physics = 88%), (Psychology = 97%) (rounded to 2sf)

I'm thinking about doing 4 A2, I don't know if that makes much difference.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow Clouds)
    Are my GCSE's too low for Oxford, and are my ums scores too low for Cambridge?

GCSE: 6A*, 3A, 1B
    AS: aaaa (Chem = 92%), (Bio = 91%), (Physics = 88%), (Psychology = 97%) (rounded to 2sf)

I'm thinking about doing 4 A2, I don't know if that makes much difference.
    Can't comment about Cambridge but you can make up for less outstanding GCSEs with a high BMAT score for Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Can't comment about Cambridge but you can make up for less outstanding GCSEs with a high BMAT score for Oxford.
    How high would I roughly need?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow Clouds)
    How high would I roughly need?
    Don't know the specifics, I'm afraid, so I'll let someone else answer that. Wouldn't want to give you an inaccurate answer. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Don't know the specifics, I'm afraid, so I'll let someone else answer that. Wouldn't want to give you an inaccurate answer. :yep:
    Ok, thanks for the help though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.