The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by myyrh
No by criteria I mean fulfilling special contextual criteria set by the university such as
being the first generation in your family to go in to higher education
having a household income below a certain amount
In receipt of benefits
Go to a non selective school
live in a deprived area.
These are just a rough example because the individual medical schools will have slightly varying policies.

Oh right, well that probably not an option now :/ would Aberdeen accept those GCSE grades along with good A levels and a UKCAT score?
Reply 981
Original post by Crimsons
Oh right, well that probably not an option now :/ would Aberdeen accept those GCSE grades along with good A levels and a UKCAT score?

Not very familiar with Aberdeen's policy but it's possible yes.
Reply 982
Original post by Helenia
To get into Oxford with those GCSEs would be very difficult - you would have to perform extremely well in the BMAT to get an interview. Cambridge would definitely be an option if your UMS were that high (you don't need to bother with Further Maths though). Imperial and UCL would also would be possibilities, but as they use the BMAT too, I wouldn't recommend applying to both those and Cambridge, because if you don't do well in the BMAT you've lost 3/4 of your potential options. UCL also require a foreign language at GCSE - do you have that?

no havn't got a foreign language :/ looks bleak at the mo for me lol :L
Hi I got 6As at AS with A* predictions. (3 Sciences 2 Maths and History). I do a lot of extra curricular and have got work experience at Kings College Hospital and the neurogenetics department at Kings uni. However I got 1A* 7A 2B at GCSE. Can anyone please recommend whether to consider any russell group unis
Thanks
Reply 984
Original post by brotherblood123
Hi I got 6As at AS with A* predictions. (3 Sciences 2 Maths and History). I do a lot of extra curricular and have got work experience at Kings College Hospital and the neurogenetics department at Kings uni. However I got 1A* 7A 2B at GCSE. Can anyone please recommend whether to consider any russell group unis
Thanks

Why? Haven't you applied already? Oh and also is there a particular reason you wish to study at russel group universities?
I have but I just want to see other people's opinion and the reason is mainly due to the fact that most london based unis are 25 mins away from me as well as the fact that their facilities are blimmin amazing.
Reply 986
Original post by brotherblood123
I have but I just want to see other people's opinion and the reason is mainly due to the fact that most london based unis are 25 mins away from me as well as the fact that their facilities are blimmin amazing.

So where did you apply? Your grades would be fine for all the london medical schools with the exception of Kings who will reject you on the basis of your GCSE grades unless you had a very high UKCAT score.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 987
Original post by myyrh
Not very familiar with Aberdeen's policy but it's possible yes.

What UKCAT score will I need to get in order to make up for my low GCSE grades?
Reply 988
I got BBCD at AS any chance ? :'(
Reply 989
Original post by Man-Utd

Have you applied this year?

Some universities, unfortunately, would reject outright. But, you could drop the D, assuming it's not chemistry, and resit some modules whilst you're doing your A2s. Not all universities would find that acceptable but as long as you are predicted high, some would still consider you. :smile:
Reply 990
Original post by Man-Utd

Honestly, just absolutely smash your A-levels and re-apply as a gap year applicant because trust me your chances at the moment are slim. :smile: Don't lose hope!
Reply 991
Original post by shaw95
Honestly, just absolutely smash your A-levels and re-apply as a gap year applicant because trust me your chances at the moment are slim. :smile: Don't lose hope!

Yh, thanks man. I need to get an A in Bio and Chem at A2 which is going to be a big challenge i think. But this year im feeling much more confident about myself. I think last year i just wasn't prepared for the "jump" from GCSE to A level. Btw are you a Gap Year student ? Any tips especially for bio :s-smilie:
Thanks bro <3
Reply 992
Original post by Man-Utd
Yh, thanks man. I need to get an A in Bio and Chem at A2 which is going to be a big challenge i think. But this year im feeling much more confident about myself. I think last year i just wasn't prepared for the "jump" from GCSE to A level. Btw are you a Gap Year student ? Any tips especially for bio :s-smilie:
Thanks bro <3

Nah I'm applying this year but literally everyone I know took a gap year out and were successful the next time. For bio, I recommend just learn the course inside out using the thickest textbook you can find since bio is just regurgitating memorised sh*t again and again. I'm on OCR so for me, I just read the OCR approved textbook as a bible and soon enough it begins to stick!
Reply 993
Original post by Tolstoy
Have you applied this year?

Some universities, unfortunately, would reject outright. But, you could drop the D, assuming it's not chemistry, and resit some modules whilst you're doing your A2s. Not all universities would find that acceptable but as long as you are predicted high, some would still consider you. :smile:

Thanks for your reply. Yh, the D was in Chemistry :P But this year im resitting the Module i done bad in. Plus i have 2 Biology Resits :frown:

Its a busy year for me :frown: Any advice ?
Reply 994
Original post by Man-Utd
Thanks for your reply. Yh, the D was in Chemistry :P But this year im resitting the Module i done bad in. Plus i have 2 Biology Resits :frown:

Its a busy year for me :frown: Any advice ?

I would go for a gap year, and work your ass off; even if it in involves turning off everything you own, and leaving it off. Use this time to get in with some good volunteering and work experience.

It's going by very tough, but, it will definitely be worth it. :smile:
Reply 995
Original post by shaw95
Nah I'm applying this year but literally everyone I know took a gap year out and were successful the next time. For bio, I recommend just learn the course inside out using the thickest textbook you can find since bio is just regurgitating memorised sh*t again and again. I'm on OCR so for me, I just read the OCR approved textbook as a bible and soon enough it begins to stick!

Did you memorise mark schemes because my Biology Course (Edexcel) are really picky on what they want for their answers and their questions are really vague !:angry:
Reply 996
Original post by Man-Utd
Did you memorise mark schemes because my Biology Course (Edexcel) are really picky on what they want for their answers and their questions are really vague !:angry:

Hmm so did the edexcel bio textbook have different answers to the mark scheme? If so I would stick to the textbook in most cases since mark schemes only offer answers for specific questions in past papers which may not come up again. But if there are general define x... type question, maybe memorise the mark scheme for those!
Reply 997
Original post by shaw95
Hmm so did the edexcel bio textbook have different answers to the mark scheme? If so I would stick to the textbook in most cases since mark schemes only offer answers for specific questions in past papers which may not come up again. But if there are general define x... type question, maybe memorise the mark scheme for those!

Did you do OCR for chem ?
And btw where did you apply :biggrin: !!!!!
Reply 998
Original post by Man-Utd
Did you do OCR for chem ?
And btw where did you apply :biggrin: !!!!!

Nah only bio was ocr, chem was edexcel for me. I applied to keele, SGUL, cardiff and liverpool :smile:
Reply 999
Original post by shaw95
Nah only bio was ocr, chem was edexcel for me. I applied to keele, SGUL, cardiff and liverpool :smile:

Thats great !
I love SGUL !

Latest