Turn on thread page Beta

Gap year in China anybody? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It looks like I have been unsuccessful for all four of my medicine choices this year, so I want to take a gap year and re-apply next year. I really want to travel to China for six months or so and teach English, and do some travelling while there of course.

Has anybody here done any gap projects in China, or is anybody thinking of/already planned to do voluntary work in China? I would love to get some advice and chat to people who are in the know! It would be great if I found somebody who is planning to do the same thing as me, it would be a lot less terrifying going away with somebody that going alone.

I've done lots of research and found some excellent companies (my favourite so far is travellers worldwide - cheapest and most flexible of them) and I would have to choose the town in China I taught in and a number of other things. Choosing a town is going to be hard since I have never been to China, and I don't know what they are all like! So some advice on choosing a town would be greatly appreciated too!

If anybody can help, I would be really grateful.

Smile.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go to china, but unfortunately I have another few years of school yet

ReputationRep:
    My brother is at SOAS in London, and one of his friends who studies chinese is having a year abroad in Beijing. One of his friends went last year too but had to come back because of SARS. The first guy had a gap year and went to Shanghai I think, and he arranged it through the British Embassy. You may like to consider Taiwan instead though because of the internal politics of China, however, it would be a great experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    My brother is at SOAS in London, and one of his friends who studies chinese is having a year abroad in Beijing. One of his friends went last year too but had to come back because of SARS. The first guy had a gap year and went to Shanghai I think, and he arranged it through the British Embassy. You may like to consider Taiwan instead though because of the internal politics of China, however, it would be a great experience.
    what do you mean by the internal politics of china?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    what do you mean by the internal politics of china?
    Human rights, freedom of movement.

ReputationRep:
    Human rights, freedom of movement.
    What's that got to do with teaching English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    It looks like I have been unsuccessful for all four of my medicine choices this year, so I want to take a gap year and re-apply next year. I really want to travel to China for six months or so and teach English, and do some travelling while there of course.

Has anybody here done any gap projects in China, or is anybody thinking of/already planned to do voluntary work in China? I would love to get some advice and chat to people who are in the know! It would be great if I found somebody who is planning to do the same thing as me, it would be a lot less terrifying going away with somebody that going alone.

I've done lots of research and found some excellent companies (my favourite so far is travellers worldwide - cheapest and most flexible of them) and I would have to choose the town in China I taught in and a number of other things. Choosing a town is going to be hard since I have never been to China, and I don't know what they are all like! So some advice on choosing a town would be greatly appreciated too!

Smile.
    Nice to see that you're still upbeat and looking forward despite the temporary setbacks.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What's that got to do with teaching English?
    Very little. Thundercat mentioned doing some travelling while he is there, so I thought he should research carefully where he goes. Much of the country is desperately poor with a 'red capitalist' elite being formed in cities. It is an authoritarian, almost Stalinist dictatorship, so I would just say - exercise caution. If he goes through the right channels though, I don't think he would have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    Very little. Thundercat mentioned doing some travelling while he is there, so I thought he should research carefully where he goes. Much of the country is desperately poor with a 'red capitalist' elite being formed in cities. It is an authoritarian, almost Stalinist dictatorship, so I would just say - exercise caution. If he goes through the right channels though, I don't think he would have any problems.
    it is unlikely that you will go to any of the rural parts of the country anyways. if you go to main cities such as bejing, it is as capitalist as any other cities in the world

ReputationRep:

almost Stalinist capitalist wtf? have you ever been to China?

ReputationRep:
    WTF what?! Unfortunately i've never been - something i'd like to do one day though.

Stalinist state control.

'Red capitalist' - the new elite. Isn't there a Starbucks and McDonalds on Tiananmen sq?

ReputationRep:
    'Red capitalist' - the new elite. Isn't there a Starbucks and McDonalds on Tiananmen sq?
    I was lucky enough to have gone to China for my holidays. And I can say with gret pleasure, that there is no McDo in the square, though theres lots about elsewhere.

And also they serve potato mash and gravy in some places instead of chips.

ReputationRep:
    Cool!

I saw on the news recently that Beijing or Shanghai, I can't remember, has the world's largets B & Q.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)

Smile.
    i'm doing exactly what you are describing but for 12 months next year. Try the organisation Project Trust (thats who im with) www.projecttrust.org

ReputationRep:
    Cool!

I saw on the news recently that Beijing or Shanghai, I can't remember, has the world's largets B & Q.
    Yes, and theres loads of French superstores- Carrefores (sp) they were everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who spent a year teaching English in Shanghai a couple of years ago. If you have any specific questions, PM me with a list and I'll get it to her. All I can remember is that she had a great time although it was very hard work.
    I've been to China on holiday and it's a fascinating country with very friendly people.

ReputationRep:
    Gap year in China?!?! You should come to Singapore instead. Oh well, I'm "country-sist" against China.

ReputationRep:
    i wnated to take a gap year in china... but if i take one, then the enxt year when i go back is when they introduce those ****ing top up fees, and i wont be able to afford university. by me, i mean my parents... im close to telling them to go **** themselves, and ill raise the money on my own...... but i hate working... damn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    i wnated to take a gap year in china... but if i take one, then the enxt year when i go back is when they introduce those ****ing top up fees, and i wont be able to afford university. by me, i mean my parents... im close to telling them to go **** themselves, and ill raise the money on my own...... but i hate working... damn!
    What's top up fees have to do with it? I thought you paid them after you graduated and were earning over a certain threshold rather than on enrollment in college.

Or did I get that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    i dont know any more... i should probably look into it.....

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.