Turn on thread page Beta

Gap year in China anybody? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What's top up fees have to do with it? I thought you paid them after you graduated and were earning over a certain threshold rather than on enrollment in college.

Or did I get that wrong?
    in 2006 that will happen. now we have to pay them upfront (or in a few installments).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    in 2006 that will happen. now we have to pay them upfront (or in a few installments).
    Really? I didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    currently its about £1150? a year, somewhere around there. but with the new system unis will be able to choose any fees up to £3000 a year. a newspaper did a survey and most of the unis said they would charge the full £3000.

2006 entry will pay more, but have a better system to pay it.

ReputationRep:
    u might still be able to take a gap year. Last time they hiked up the uni fees they made people who were defering entry by one year be exempt from it because they felt it would be unfair to stop people from taking gap years because of the extra money they'd have to pay. People are campaigning for the government to do the same thing for 2006.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    currently its about £1150? a year, somewhere around there. but with the new system unis will be able to choose any fees up to £3000 a year. a newspaper did a survey and most of the unis said they would charge the full £3000.

2006 entry will pay more, but have a better system to pay it.
    And you have to pay that $3000 up front until 2006? Goodness. I see what all the stink was about now. I honestly thought there was no "upfront" element to it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    And you have to pay that $3000 up front until 2006? Goodness. I see what all the stink was about now. I honestly thought there was no "upfront" element to it at all.
    umm no

its £1100 or thereabouts upfront until 2006. that will go up with inflation. that will be paid upfront or thruout the year, my brother paid in 2 installments i think cant remember really.

then 2006 entry it jumps up to the £3000 and they pay afterwards in a tax based on their earnings once they break the threshold, which is about 15k-20k dont think they're decided yet.

my brother got charged £500 in his sandwich year when he got two 1 hour visits from someone from his uni. money grabbers!

ReputationRep:
    After my impromtu departure from Uni in November, my reapplying, and my fat bank account after 4 months full time work, I'm planning a couple of months in China this Spring. The coolest thing is how I'm planning to get there - the Trans Siberian railway. 6 days from Moscow to Beijing, £250. Did you know you can go from London Waterloo to Hanoi purely on trains!? Its so cool - London-Brussels-Cologne-Moscow-Beijing-Hanoi

ReputationRep:
    Wow, going on the Trans-Siberian railway would be one heck of an experience! Would love to do that, but probably not this time, would rather just get to china and get started, but t'is a great idea!

I did like the idea of going with Project Trust for 12 months, but the reason I didn't get into medical school was because I didn't have much medical experience. So i really need to stay at home for a few months to get that. Also, if I was offered an interview, it would be in Nov/Dec or Jan/Feb, so I need to be around when that happens too. 12 months sounds so great, but not really practical! So looks like that company is out!!

Has anybody done any dealings with Travellers Worldwide? Good company, or bad company?

Still hoping to find somebody who wants to do the exact same thing as me, then we can travel together! Anybody out there want to go with me? Please!!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else able to offer advice and help?

ReputationRep:
    just being looking at that travellers worldwide website you mentioned. Really interested in doing that after university!

im planning to do a one month inter-rail trip around europe first but this would be great as well. i've always wanted to go to india and china and i'm planning to do the TEFL (teach english foriegn language) course whilst at uni/before uni anyway.

just getting the money...especially after uni..

ReputationRep:
    hey thundercat, that sounds like a very good idea. and i think you;ll enjoy yourself very much (in one way or another) and it would look great on your CV.

just remember the culture is very different, travelling on your own to anywhere in the world is usally not a good idea so i do recommend getting in touch with someone.

teaching english to earn money seems like a good idea, especially now as china is developing and opening up very rapidly, they are in search people who could teach english. but the thing that could hinder your chances are that your age and the fact that you cant speak chinese. (unless you could??) also depending on where you want to stay, china is a massive country.

if you want to travel to other chinese terrortries, outside the mainland, they are considered as 'countries', especially taiwan. although it probably wont be very difficult for you, its not as easy as, lets say like goign from england to wales.

hong kong is also constantly looking for people to teach english, and indeed many teachers are from britain. (and also VERY well paid). if you do decide to teach english, you probably end up as a private tutor. you can stay in hong kong for up to 6 months without a visa.

and check out this website, read things carefully and especially the travel advice section, good luck!.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1018965313021

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    It looks like I have been unsuccessful for all four of my medicine choices this year, so I want to take a gap year and re-apply next year. I really want to travel to China for six months or so and teach English, and do some travelling while there of course.

Has anybody here done any gap projects in China, or is anybody thinking of/already planned to do voluntary work in China? I would love to get some advice and chat to people who are in the know! It would be great if I found somebody who is planning to do the same thing as me, it would be a lot less terrifying going away with somebody that going alone.

I've done lots of research and found some excellent companies (my favourite so far is travellers worldwide - cheapest and most flexible of them) and I would have to choose the town in China I taught in and a number of other things. Choosing a town is going to be hard since I have never been to China, and I don't know what they are all like! So some advice on choosing a town would be greatly appreciated too!

If anybody can help, I would be really grateful.

Smile.
    Good on you!

I've applied to do exactly the same thing - 6 months in China teaching English. I went through GAP activities www.gap.org.uk. They look very professional, and will help you with everything, even giving you bursaries if needed. Check out the website, and ask for a brochure, if you like the look of it.

I sent my form off a couple of days ago and now I can't wait

ReputationRep:
    My cousin went for a gap year to China - joined a buddhist monastery and taught english - had to shave his head completely - he loved it so much that he went back last year to see everyone again

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else able to offer advice and help?
    yeah I'm a project trust volunteer. I suggest you maybe go to South Africa or another country where project trust have 12 month long medical placements. I can imagine that would be seriously amazing for your application to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like I have been unsuccessful for all four of my medicine choices this year, so I want to take a gap year and re-apply next year. I really want to travel to China for six months or so and teach English, and do some travelling while there of course.

Has anybody here done any gap projects in China, or is anybody thinking of/already planned to do voluntary work in China? I would love to get some advice and chat to people who are in the know! It would be great if I found somebody who is planning to do the same thing as me, it would be a lot less terrifying going away with somebody that going alone.

I've done lots of research and found some excellent companies (my favourite so far is travellers worldwide - cheapest and most flexible of them) and I would have to choose the town in China I taught in and a number of other things. Choosing a town is going to be hard since I have never been to China, and I don't know what they are all like! So some advice on choosing a town would be greatly appreciated too!

If anybody can help, I would be really grateful.

Smile.
    Come to Guangya Middle school in Guangzhou, it is the best school in Guangdong province of China. I was a student in this school.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! As luck would have it, I'm also taking an (unexpected) gap year, and just doing some research into China at the moment. I'm thinking of going with Teaching and Projects Abroad to Shanghai for a few months to work on an English-language newspaper and then spend a month or two teaching somewhere a bit more rural.
    Don't known if that's any help as it sounds like you're hoping to teach mostly, but we could always talk about plans and see if there's anytime we'd be in the same place!
    Jo x

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jo.

Sounds great! I would love to have somebody to discuss plans with. I am a wee bit nervous about going alone, so I need a friendly face!

If you can chat on MSN, i am [email protected]

Please add me, we can get discussing right away!!

Winorloose, where in China are you going to teach? What dates are you going there?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jo.

Sounds great! I would love to have somebody to discuss plans with. I am a wee bit nervous about going alone, so I need a friendly face!

If you can chat on MSN, i am [email protected]

Please add me, we can get discussing right away!!

Winorloose, where in China are you going to teach? What dates are you going there?
    I'm probably going from september to march ish

Since I am yet to hear from Gap activities, all it is pretty much conjecture as to where and when I go (or even if they accept me, there is an interview to negotiate).

When I know, I'll tell you. Deal?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Hong Kong

edit

in hong kong, you can go to supermarket and get real imported things (e.g. blackberries, SAXON apple juice), freedom of speech, better english (at least they know how to say money here), nicer hotels and cheaper mcdonalds meal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    I would recommend Hong Kong

edit

in hong kong, you can go to supermarket and get real imported things (e.g. blackberries, SAXON apple juice), freedom of speech, better english (at least they know how to say money here), nicer hotels and cheaper mcdonalds meal.
    i dont think thats the point..

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.