Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well.. you have to enjoy staying there
    for 6 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    It looks like I have been unsuccessful for all four of my medicine choices this year, so I want to take a gap year and re-apply next year. I really want to travel to China for six months or so and teach English, and do some travelling while there of course.

Has anybody here done any gap projects in China, or is anybody thinking of/already planned to do voluntary work in China? I would love to get some advice and chat to people who are in the know! It would be great if I found somebody who is planning to do the same thing as me, it would be a lot less terrifying going away with somebody that going alone.

I've done lots of research and found some excellent companies (my favourite so far is travellers worldwide - cheapest and most flexible of them) and I would have to choose the town in China I taught in and a number of other things. Choosing a town is going to be hard since I have never been to China, and I don't know what they are all like! So some advice on choosing a town would be greatly appreciated too!

If anybody can help, I would be really grateful.

Smile.
    hmmnn im not going on a gap year but if u go - u have to visit the terracotta army and all of that!!! i will be incredibly jealous! apparantly, (i was told this) you will get a lot of people stopping you in the street to take pictures of them and you because your european. my english teacher even got called a gorilla because of his hairy arms lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    hmmnn im not going on a gap year but if u go - u have to visit the terracotta army and all of that!!! i will be incredibly jealous! apparantly, (i was told this) you will get a lot of people stopping you in the street to take pictures of them and you because your european. my english teacher even got called a gorilla because of his hairy arms lol
    hmm.....when was this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    hmm.....when was this??
    easter

ReputationRep:
    I hope I don't get called a gorilla!

The progress so far on my GAP year isn't too much. I have definately got a place to go somewhere for 6months. There are vacancies to China, but it hasn't been confirmed that I am going there yet. I am waiting for the China project manager to phone me and discuss placements, so hopefully they'll phone me soon. I'm getting anxious! But all in all, my gap year is looking pretty good. Yesterday I was offered a job as an auxillery nurse starting in September. So that's pretty nifty! Hopefully with my jam-packed personal statement, I will at least get an interview from a medical school.

It would be so nice to have an offer in the bag before I even go away to China. Would make me so much more relaxed. Oh well, I can hope can't I!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    I hope I don't get called a gorilla!

The progress so far on my GAP year isn't too much. I have definately got a place to go somewhere for 6months. There are vacancies to China, but it hasn't been confirmed that I am going there yet. I am waiting for the China project manager to phone me and discuss placements, so hopefully they'll phone me soon. I'm getting anxious! But all in all, my gap year is looking pretty good. Yesterday I was offered a job as an auxillery nurse starting in September. So that's pretty nifty! Hopefully with my jam-packed personal statement, I will at least get an interview from a medical school.

It would be so nice to have an offer in the bag before I even go away to China. Would make me so much more relaxed. Oh well, I can hope can't I!
    where else could u go?

ReputationRep:
    just stick with china

ReputationRep:
    I could go a whole multitude of places. But I have my heart set on going to China. I would be happy elsewhere, maybe Thailand or Veitnam, or even Brazil; but at my interview I told them I wanted China, so that is what they are trying to sort out right now (well, I assume that is what they are doing!)

I am going with www.GAP.org.uk by the way. Anyone else been with this company and doesn't mind me asking questions? There is a lot I want to know!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.