The Student Room Group

Happiest/Saddest/Angriest times of being a football fan?

Scroll to see replies

Can't pick from happiest easily.

Saddest is an easy one, the deaths of 96 people at Hillsborough. The angriest is that their families have never seen justice for the 96.
Reply 21
As a Blackburn fan, I have to say:

Happiest: Heh, there's two that are equal in these terms, for me;
1) Beating Chelsea on penalties at Ewood in the quarter final of the League Cup a couple of years ago - can't remember tension like it!
2) Beating Man Utd 3-2 at Old Trafford on new years eve last year - the best 18th birthday present anyone could've given me :wink:

Saddest: I have to say for this, it was watching Fabrice Muamba collapse on TV last season. I was so sure he wasn't going to make it, I had to switch it off. It was absolutely heartbreaking to watch and think about how his now-wife and son must feel watching that.

Angriest: Any moment involving Steve Kean or Venky's.
Reply 22
Happiest: Beating Luton in the play-off final this season, having beaten them also in the cup semi-finals.

Saddest: Getting relegated out of the league for the first time in our history roughly 9 years ago

Angriest: That the asset stripping **** Douglas Craig pretty much got away free having nearly doomed our club, sent us into administration, and caused us to go from league 1 to the conference.
Reply 23
Happiest: Beating Barca 2-1 at home or beating Tottenham 5-2 or the Thierry Henry goal vs Leeds.

Saddest: Being beaten by Barca in the Champions League final or the game against Birmingham when Eduardo broke his leg.

Angriest: When Van Persie was sent off in the second leg against Barcelona or being beaten 8-2 by Man Utd.

It's just too hard to pick one for each catergory :colondollar:
Reply 24
Happiest

seeing dagenham promoted to the football league, and then to league one at wembley :smile:

saddest

Watching dagenham lose to peterborough 5-0 on the last day of the season to seal relegation back to league two :frown:

angriest

Marvin morgan missing from half a yard out at orient, if he scored it pretty much would have kept us in league one! :angry:
Happiest

Seeing Neil Lennon bring us back to winning the league last season was fantastic no man deserved it more than him!

Saddest

Seeing Henrik Larsson leave

Angriest

Czech Republics dive last year which saw Scotland miss out on the Euros.
I'm a Sheffield Wednesday supporter

Happiest

Promotion last season :biggrin:

Saddest

Name any point in the last decade of misery but probably our most recent relegation and the financial turmoil that followed.

Angriest

Leon Clarke scoring the equaliser in the match that relegated us then celebrating by breaking his toe, what a tool this player was.
Reply 27
Happiest- Beating Wrexscum
Sadiest- Losing to Wrexscum
Angriest-Losing to Wrexscum

I F**kin hate Wrexham!
Reply 28
another angry moment would have to be when Stoke beat us 5-0 in the fa cup semi final , to spend all that money , to get up at 6am on a Sunday when we should be in bed to produce that appaling result and performance was just appaling.
Happiest-'99 champions league win.

Saddest- Watching England get knocked out in '98. First world cup I can remember.

Angriest-must be 6-1 defeat to city.
Happiest - League Cup win 2002, any game we beat the dingles
Saddest- Relegation in 99
Angriest - Kean and Venkys era in general.
Happiest - Beating Copanhagen 4-0 to go through to the last 32 of the uefa cup in 2008
Saddest- The times when I thought Rangers would be voted into the SPL so I'd have to stop watching Aberdeen/losing semi final to hibs last season
Angriest - Losing 4-3 to Queen of the South

and...

Funniest - Rangers getting liquidated :smile:
Reply 32
Happiest - At the risk of sounding a little small, beating Manchester United 1-0 at Old Trafford when we were still in the third tier was an incredible day. I can't separate that and promotion on the last day, and the ensuing joyous pitch invasion :smile:

Saddest - The death of Gary Speed, or relegation from the Premier League. the second relegation seemed inevitable.

Angriest - The -15 points, and Doncaster Rovers and their 15,000 fans at Wembley ending the remarkable journey of that season in front of 40,000 of our supporters. A completely inept performance that should have never have been required, as without the second points deduction we would have finished in 2nd place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
another angry moment losing 2-1 away to Crawley Town after being infront till the 80th minute.
Reply 34
to be honest most Bolton games now a days leave me either angry or sad.
Reply 35
hoping for a happier moment this weekend.
Happiest would be getting back to back promotions, especially after years of Championship obscurity and then relegation to league 1 (and a humiliating first game in that league). Closely followed by the double thrashing of 1p5wich that year.

Saddest, relegation from the Premiere League last time. We had a pretty good season with some great games and were the outsider for going down (had to loose and have other results go against us). Still went down.

Angriest, the whole mess with Paul Lambert and Grant Holt. Was handled very badly by all sides (fans too) and left a lot of bitter feelings when it didn't have to. Even the "victory" on Holt isn't what it was expected, although the fans are as much to blame as anyone for that (as they were very vocal about the need to keep him). I also feel the whole lot goes back a lot further than the end of the season and has been brewing since early 2012.
Reply 37
Crystal Palace fan

Happiest
Surviving liquidation for a start.
Whenever I'm fortunate enough to attend, saw Danny Butterfield (right back) fill in at striker and score a 'perfect' hat-trick in 6 minutes. Also saw Darren Ambrose stick a 35 yarder free kick in against Villa.
Other than those last day of the season survival at Hillsborough, beating Brighton 3-1 last season or beating Man United last season.
Also remember last day of the season survival against Stockport but that was a long time ago and I wasn't a Palace fan back then.

Saddest
When we went into administration and had to sell star players such as Victor Moses. Remember attending a game against already promoted West Brom in order to avoid taking survival to the last day of the season. Our players played their hearts out and deserved to win and we hit the post in like the last minute. If it went in we wouldn't have had to get a result at Hillsborough. The West Brom fans were horrible as well. Saying that the togetherness and support shown by our fans and players during this time and most of the time was truly something to experience.
Other than that literally being hours away from liquidation and not knowing if we would have a club the next day.

Angriest
Us getting into the state where liquidation was possible and many, many refereeing decisions.
Being a Manchester City supporter, the highs and lows, and everything else in between have been quite regular. Obviously, one of the happiest times was last season. Beating United to the title, first time in 44 years. Agueroooooo! Also winning the F.A cup after 35 years of taunting from our neighbors from Salford, was a special moment. Incredible moments. Words cannot really describe how much they mean, having only ever known United being successful, and having to go through school, fighting my corner in footie debates with Paul Dickov and Georgio Samaras against Best and Cantona. It was tough.

Being a Manchester City fan also includes many low points. Some of which I remember very vividly. Losing in the last minute in the Carling cup semi final at Old Trafford. I cried that day. I was desperate for us to do it. I really believed it was time for us to rise and become a powerful club, and we were put back into our places by Michael Owen. After that game, I thought It'd never happen. Then there was the constant yo yoing between divisions during the early years, seeing managers break under the pressure of expectancy of the club and the fans to be up there in the big time. (Another special moment, 99 play off final)

Angry moments? Tevez gate. That angers me to this day. He disrespected everything ever associated with my club, and I will never forgive him. Ferguson and his snide remarks "Not in my lifetime". Roy Keane and many other ex United players for their anti City rubbish. Newspapers which ridicule the club, saying that players only join for the money, even though other big clubs have been spending big for years. A lot angers me in football, but the highs I experienced last year, make it all worth it, and no one, I believe, can ever feel how I felt when THAT Aguero goal went in. Pure magic.
Reply 39
i dont know if i am happy sad or angry about Coyle leaving.

Quick Reply

Latest