The Student Room Group

Happiest/Saddest/Angriest times of being a football fan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_wizard123
Southgate Euro 96. Obvious which emotion I'm not referring to.

That was a really bad one. Still can't believe that game, there's footage of the pre-match build up on Youtube, if there was a game I wish I was at, it's that one.
Reply 61
i was happy when Beckford signed recently.
Original post by hbk4894
i was happy when Beckford signed recently.

I was happy we sold him to you.
Reply 63
What's happening with Coventry City at the moment :angry:
Original post by meenu89
What's happening with Coventry City at the moment :angry:

Are you a Coventry fan?
Reply 65
Original post by Wilfred Little
Are you a Coventry fan?

Yes.
Original post by meenu89
Yes.

What are the chances of you folding? Not really been paying much attention to it to be honest.
Reply 67
Happiest: Huddersfield Town 0-3 Peterborough United (League One Play-off Final). After the Town fans giving it large prior to the game it was certainly nice to see them sitting in silence and fighting one another after we scored 3 in 7 minutes. 'You're not singing any more' had never been so fitting.

Saddest: Crystal Palace 3-2 Peterborough United. Just as it looked like we pulled it off, we conceded in the last minute to get relegated by a single point. To rub salt in the wound, Palace got promoted to the Prem and Huddersfield (who have an obsession with us) played a small part in our demise. We're now the club to get relegated with the most points in a season, so I guess that's something.

Angriest: See above. Also Peterborough United 0-0 MK. Time wasting from a club who shouldn't even exist and an incompetent referee just made me lose it. Posh 2-3 WBA also had the time-wasting and the refereeing problems.
Reply 68
happiest: middlesbrough winning the carling cup and getting through to the final of the uefa cup thanks to a last gasp maccaroni goal
saddest: middlesbrough losing in that uefa cup final :frown:
angriest....hmm i cant think at the top of my head
Paying nearly 50 quid to watch Villa next week infuriates me.
Happiest:
Gerrard scoring that beauty in the F.A Cup Final, 06. Stuff of legends. He was such a beast in his pomp.

Saddest:
The day Torres put in his transfer request to move to Chelsea. And then we bought Andy f****** Carroll for 35 million.

Angriest:
When the asset stripping owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillet not only let Alonso leave without giving the gaffer funds to replace him, they went on to sack Rafael Benitez and replace him with Roy Hodgson. Stunning stuff all around that helped cement us a mid table club for the last 3 years.
Reply 71
Original post by abhiksetia
Happiest:
Gerrard scoring that beauty in the F.A Cup Final, 06. Stuff of legends. He was such a beast in his pomp.

Saddest:
The day Torres put in his transfer request to move to Chelsea. And then we bought Andy f****** Carroll for 35 million.

Angriest:
When the asset stripping owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillet not only let Alonso leave without giving the gaffer funds to replace him, they went on to sack Rafael Benitez and replace him with Roy Hodgson. Stunning stuff all around that helped cement us a mid table club for the last 3 years.

Throughout our 49 unbeaten run

Agueros goal meaning scum didn't win the league, seeing the man U players faces was priceless

Saddest when we lost 8 - 2 .

Angry - Right now with wenger not getting business done as usual, so angry how he deceives the fans into buying merchandise then signs cheap players. Joke
Saddest

Seeing Pires get subbed off in the Champion's league final. Such a sad ending to the arsenal career of one of my favourite ever players.
Was devastated when Cole left us. Was my idol as I played as full back and I saw him as one of us - a fan on the team. That betrayal hurt a lot and I was still pretty young when he left. Him leaving probably upset me more than any of the players who've left afterwards.
Last match at Highbury - more bittersweet than straight up sad.

Happiest

My first ever football match - Highbury 1998 and Tony Adams scoring against Everton to seal the double.
Cardiff in the sunshine in 2002. Sitting with my mum and dad, brothers, uncles and cousins and watching the Romford Pele and Freddie score two screamers.
Arshavin's goal vs Barca - even though we eventually got knocked out.
Henry's return.
Beating Spurs 5-2 and beating Chelsea 5-3.

Angriest

Elland Road 1999. We lost United won the league and O'Leary was running around giving it the big 'un and just being a ****. I remember crying and yelling and my mum having to calm me down lol :colondollar:
The Mike Riley match in 2004 where our unbeaten streak was ended. Bar the Chelsea barca semi final in 2009, it was the most terrible and biased refereeing I have ever seen in a match. It was actually ridiculous. Any United fan who is actually honest will admit that was just a mugging by a ref that day. Still raises my blood pressure!
Reply 73
I'm sorry but anyone posting happiest moments of glory days in the premiership has not experienced true happiness as a football supporter. Here's just a list of my saddest and angriest moments following Huddersfield Town which makes the very short list of happy moments oh so sweet!
Sad moments: 1) Travelling on a tuesday night to Southampton to see us lose 5-0 on a day where I missed a GCSE to see us play. 2) Milwall away in the play offs, losing on another tuesday night and a school teacher saw me on tv when I'd called in sick and I ended up being suspended. 3) Macclesfield away, bottom division open end pouring with rain, losing 4-0 4) Stood in a record low attendance in a freezing night in winter losing to Plymouth

But travelling thousands of miles is worth it for the moments like finally getting out of league one with the goalkeepers taking penalties in front of you at Wembley, or coming from behind against Middlesbrough to get out of the relegation places. Premier league glory supporters see a team and expect them to win, I never expect town to win and that's what separates true supporters from glory supporters, or the prawn sandwich brigade and what makes special moments for us all the more special!!
Original post by Paul3012
I'm sorry but anyone posting happiest moments of glory days in the premiership has not experienced true happiness as a football supporter. Here's just a list of my saddest and angriest moments following Huddersfield Town which makes the very short list of happy moments oh so sweet!
Sad moments: 1) Travelling on a tuesday night to Southampton to see us lose 5-0 on a day where I missed a GCSE to see us play. 2) Milwall away in the play offs, losing on another tuesday night and a school teacher saw me on tv when I'd called in sick and I ended up being suspended. 3) Macclesfield away, bottom division open end pouring with rain, losing 4-0 4) Stood in a record low attendance in a freezing night in winter losing to Plymouth

But travelling thousands of miles is worth it for the moments like finally getting out of league one with the goalkeepers taking penalties in front of you at Wembley, or coming from behind against Middlesbrough to get out of the relegation places. Premier league glory supporters see a team and expect them to win, I never expect town to win and that's what separates true supporters from glory supporters, or the prawn sandwich brigade and what makes special moments for us all the more special!!

Can kind if get what you're saying mate and yes the premier league has become very corporate and sterile but all of the big time clubs still have their core traditional base. I was born into an Arsenal family and so you're saying the moments of happiness I've had following my club are somehow less real or special than yours because you follow a small team. Don't agree with that at all. All credit to you for sticking with your team though.
Reply 75
Original post by Soul of Mischief
Can kind if get what you're saying mate and yes the premier league has become very corporate and sterile but all of the big time clubs still have their core traditional base. I was born into an Arsenal family and so you're saying the moments of happiness I've had following my club are somehow less real or special than yours because you follow a small team. Don't agree with that at all. All credit to you for sticking with your team though.

Got all credit for fans of big teams who follow them one day I hope town will be. It's fans who just watch on tv or picked them when they were good or who see their.team. as just the bees knees. but you will understand as an arsenal fan the next trophy you win will be so much sweeter for the however many years you've gone without now. It's like when you put your hand in warm water after you've been in the cold it feels warmer if you get what I'm saying!! I might have worded it wrong but I genuinely feel that the more you've struggled the more special moments are!! But one of my best moments following town was at arsenal in the fa cup actually!
Original post by Paul3012
Got all credit for fans of big teams who follow them one day I hope town will be. It's fans who just watch on tv or picked them when they were good or who see their.team. as just the bees knees. but you will understand as an arsenal fan the next trophy you win will be so much sweeter for the however many years you've gone without now. It's like when you put your hand in warm water after you've been in the cold it feels warmer if you get what I'm saying!! I might have worded it wrong but I genuinely feel that the more you've struggled the more special moments are!! But one of my best moments following town was at arsenal in the fa cup actually!

Yeh that's completely right! When we do finally get our hands on a trophy again it will be all the sweeter for it. I reckon for Man utd fans of our age to truly appreciate a trophy again they'll have to go a few years without one. I guess I'm lucky that for me a drought means only 8 years when some people will go decades without seeing their team win anything and some people won't see their team win anything at all. Hope Huddersfield manage something this year!
Reply 77
Original post by Soul of Mischief
Yeh that's completely right! When we do finally get our hands on a trophy again it will be all the sweeter for it. I reckon for Man utd fans of our age to truly appreciate a trophy again they'll have to go a few years without one. I guess I'm lucky that for me a drought means only 8 years when some people will go decades without seeing their team win anything and some people won't see their team win anything at all. Hope Huddersfield manage something this year!

Yeah that's what I meant to that our success would be greater but to be truly appreciated!! And yeah same to Arsenal, Huddersfield and Arsenal have a lot of history from the Herbert Chapman days! would be good to see you do well :smile:
Reply 78
Happiest:

Coming from 3-0 down to beat Falkirk in the Scottish Cup semi's last season. We even missed a penalty when it was 3-1.

Saddest:

Losing 5-1 to Hearts(local rival too) in the Scottish Cup final the season before the Falkirk game.

Angriest:

When Leigh Griffiths' free-kick went over the line in the derby against Hearts, but the goal wasn't given because the ref and linesman hadn't seen the ball cross the line.

That's all from the past two years. Oh the joys of supporting Hibernian.
Reply 79
Happiest: Every time there's a superb, night time win at Goodison. Can't be beaten.
1-0 win over Liverpool, Gosling in extra time.
1-0 win over Arsenal, Last minute Andy Johnson.
1-0 win over Man U, Big Duncan Ferguson header.

Saddest: Losing the FA Cup final to Chelsea (gits).
Moyes recent betrayal.

Angriest: (see 'Saddest')
0-3 to Wigan last season, left after 70 minutes.
2-1 defeat to Liverpool in the FA Cup semi.
2-4 defeat to Man U, we were 2-0 up.

Quick Reply

Latest