The Student Room Group

How fun is electronics engineering?

Ive been offered a place at York to do elec eng with foundation year. How fun is the course? I love technology and all that, but ive never really done electronics at school. I think job prospects would be good with this degree, but i dont want to do a course which i will find boring and struggle with.
Thanks
Reply 1
it's probably about as fun as poking yourself in the eye :p:

jus kiddin, i wouldnt know, but i hate electronics....its just so boring...zzzzzz

good luck with your decision :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'm doing Electronics A-level, if my opinion counts!! Electronics, put simply, is something that will either click or won't. You'll probably either really enjoy it, or find it a real drag. It's appealing to me because it really is the perfect mix of theory and practical. And Electronics is really an emerging market, so it would also be a wise choice! Given that you are doing a foundation course, there will be people of similar ability and exposure to the science, and hopefully, you'll find it a suitable environment to learn this really wonderful (IMO!) branch of science. PM me if you want to talk more :smile:
Reply 3
Ok, well ive also applied for computing at plymouth, which interests me more because i want to learn how to programme and stuff. But plymouth is 6hrs from home where as york is an hr and half. :frown:
Cloud_Strife
Ive been offered a place at York to do elec eng with foundation year. How fun is the course? I love technology and all that, but ive never really done electronics at school. I think job prospects would be good with this degree, but i dont want to do a course which i will find boring and struggle with.
Thanks

Electronics is great when it works... but when you're sitting there for ages frustrated that it doesn't and you don't know why, you begin to hate it!
Reply 5
Just to clarify - it is nothing like A level in my experience. It is tedious, as is any degree, but can be rewarding.

Don't expect every day to be loads of fun. Spend several weeks being bored, but then feel great when it all comes together.
Reply 6
no its awful dont pick it
Original post by j7u
no its awful dont pick it

Mate this post is so old he literally could have graduated, done a PhD and be a professor in electronics by now.

Quick Reply

Latest