The Student Room Group

Snowflake goes to Sheffield!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by .snowflake.
Yes. I live about an hour and a half away. It's lovely :smile:

Hm... Lucky you I suppose, I live at about 4-5 hours travel, including a not-so-comfortable Ryanair experience. :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Arrived. Unpacked, desk is a mess. Been to asda, spent £90, bought sod all :/.
Arrived. Unpacked, desk is a mess. Been to asda, spent £90, bought sod all :/.

:biggrin:.

Met anyone yet? Having a nice time?

Sorry I don't mean to sound like your granny. Just curious. :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Beebumble
:biggrin:.

Met anyone yet? Having a nice time?

Sorry I don't mean to sound like your granny. Just curious. :tongue:

flatmates are lovely. bedroom finally has some semblance of order. managed not to notice one of our flatmates arrive, or hear her in her bedroom.
Reply 24
Are you staying in the halls? If so, how are they? I won't find out until tonight!! :eek:
Reply 25
Original post by DarioGe
Are you staying in the halls? If so, how are they? I won't find out until tonight!! :eek:

they're lovely. lots of storage under the bed!
Havent yet worked out how to work the shower :frown:
Reply 26

o.O how come? something wrong with them? How's the shower arrangement? How many rooms share one bathroom?

There's only one knob, it could just be stuck so you'll have to twist hard. They're also known to be like badly adjusted (my one had one setting - scalding hot) so you might want to talk to the Edge/Ridge guys to get it sorted out. They'll send a maintenance guy around, make sure you let them know about any other problems too.

Chemistry's pretty decent here, you'll enjoy it, hard work though (you'll be in a lot more than most other Freshers doing other subjects) so keep on top of it...especially Physical. Fowler's intro quantum is very disgusting because he throws you in straight at the deep end (dick move), the exam is much much easier than you'd expect though.
Reply 28
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
There's only one knob, it could just be stuck so you'll have to twist hard. They're also known to be like badly adjusted (my one had one setting - scalding hot) so you might want to talk to the Edge/Ridge guys to get it sorted out. They'll send a maintenance guy around, make sure you let them know about any other problems too.

Chemistry's pretty decent here, you'll enjoy it, hard work though (you'll be in a lot more than most other Freshers doing other subjects) so keep on top of it...especially Physical. Fowler's intro quantum is very disgusting because he throws you in straight at the deep end (dick move), the exam is much much easier than you'd expect though.

mines one knob, two part, the back half turns it on, then the front put you need to push the button to make it hot/cold. I have him twice a week, apart frm w/c 24th :/. I'll take it he's not nice. Is there anyone else I need to watch out for?
mines one knob, two part, the back half turns it on, then the front put you need to push the button to make it hot/cold. I have him twice a week, apart frm w/c 24th :/. I'll take it he's not nice. Is there anyone else I need to watch out for?

I have no idea about your shower then, if you have any problems you should give your Edge/Ridge guys a shout as I said. Man what I would do to be a fresher again though >_>

He's actually a nice guy on a first name basis, but his course very much tricks you into thinking he's a penis. A lot of what he tells you is not actually required for the exam so don't get too stressed out if you have no idea what the Schrodingers equation means... Fairclough is a tough'un if you skip some of his lectures. In fact, skip any of the Phys Chem lectures and you'll just get dicked on. They are very tough unless you're very good with Maths/Physics naturally.

Inorganic is fairly easy in first year and you'll pretty much end up revising what you should already know, alongside everything in Organic.

Don't stress about it, it's perfectly feasible to be a party animal in first semester (I certainly was) and then do fine in second semester and end up with a first.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
I have no idea about your shower then, if you have any problems you should give your Edge/Ridge guys a shout as I said. Man what I would do to be a fresher again though >_>

He's actually a nice guy on a first name basis, but his course very much tricks you into thinking he's a penis. A lot of what he tells you is not actually required for the exam so don't get too stressed out if you have no idea what the Schrodingers equation means... Fairclough is a tough'un if you skip some of his lectures. In fact, skip any of the Phys Chem lectures and you'll just get dicked on. They are very tough unless you're very good with Maths/Physics naturally.

Inorganic is fairly easy in first year and you'll pretty much end up revising what you should already know, alongside everything in Organic.

Don't stress about it, it's perfectly feasible to be a party animal in first semester (I certainly was) and then do fine in second semester and end up with a first.

that reminds me so much of my old head of german. Once on first name terms, us 6th formers thought he was lovely. Everyone else thought he was terrifying! I am currently the only person in my flat who isnt late for their welcome meeting...
that reminds me so much of my old head of german. Once on first name terms, us 6th formers thought he was lovely. Everyone else thought he was terrifying! I am currently the only person in my flat who isnt late for their welcome meeting...

Haha yeh you can get that, I think most of the lecturers are pretty decent on the whole though. You'll have Ed Warminski in Physical labs though, he's a prick quite a lot.

Oh yeh, when it comes to picking modules, I would recommend doing Chemistry and the Internet at the very least. Easiest 10 credits ever and all you have to do is learn basic HTML, simple. Chemical informatics was apparently easy too. They will push you to do the Chemistry modules, they're okay but a lot of work for what they are especially Chem & The world around us. They'll pretty much force you to do their equivalents of AS-level Physics or Biology stuffed into one semester if you haven't done on of them at A-Level, so you don't get much choice there.

Everyone go out last night? Were you at the infamous Edge Beach Party?
Reply 32
Haha yeh you can get that, I think most of the lecturers are pretty decent on the whole though. You'll have Ed Warminski in Physical labs though, he's a prick quite a lot.

Oh yeh, when it comes to picking modules, I would recommend doing Chemistry and the Internet at the very least. Easiest 10 credits ever and all you have to do is learn basic HTML, simple. Chemical informatics was apparently easy too. They will push you to do the Chemistry modules, they're okay but a lot of work for what they are especially Chem & The world around us. They'll pretty much force you to do their equivalents of AS-level Physics or Biology stuffed into one semester if you haven't done on of them at A-Level, so you don't get much choice there.

Everyone go out last night? Were you at the infamous Edge Beach Party?

I popped to the ridge for a bit to meet some friends, we're at ranmoor. I'm doing Chem with study in europe, so i don't get forced to do physics/bio, I do 20 credits of maths for dummies as I don't have higher than a C at A level and then 40 credits with the MLTC.
I popped to the ridge for a bit to meet some friends, we're at ranmoor. I'm doing Chem with study in europe, so i don't get forced to do physics/bio, I do 20 credits of maths for dummies as I don't have higher than a C at A level and then 40 credits with the MLTC.

Oh Ranmoor! You'll have a good time, it's pretty tight knit up there despite being smaller. The Ridge apparently does leave a lot to be desired though.

Ah I see, what language you doing? I guess they must have changed the structure up because I was originally doing the study in Japan course and the Japanese modules only accounted for 20 credits in the first year >_> now that's just bull****. Guess at least you're gonna have a relatively easier time compared.
Reply 34
Oh Ranmoor! You'll have a good time, it's pretty tight knit up there despite being smaller. The Ridge apparently does leave a lot to be desired though.

Ah I see, what language you doing? I guess they must have changed the structure up because I was originally doing the study in Japan course and the Japanese modules only accounted for 20 credits in the first year >_> now that's just bull****. Guess at least you're gonna have a relatively easier time compared.

I'll pm you that. If i say here it makes me VERY obious to everyone else on my course as to who I am, as I'm the only one doing this language!
Reply 35
I've survived Fresher's week. now the really,really scary stuff begins on Monday.
Reply 36
Fresher's flu is a biatch. wouldn't wish this on anyone. Level 1 Lab manager knows my name/ who I am already. I don't consider this to be a good thing.
Reply 37
I seem to have forgotten abbout this. How is it christmas already? Answers on a postcard please!
Reply 38
Sheffield is amazing. Pretty much the only uni that I saw that I liked straight away. Hopefully it won't go as quick as Y13!

That's funny cuz im finishing year 13 now and it's taking ages! lol I guess it seems quicker when its finished.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending