The Student Room Group

Is this a legit concern?

I would really love to become a maths teacher (11-19), helping my sister and brother with their maths GCSE and the satisfaction I got for them when they passed (both were resits who needed it for uni) was immense. I really think I have what it takes to instil passion for the subject into pupils and would love to pursue a career down this path.

I do have one concern, one which I'm not sure is as bad as I think it is (I hope not)

I have read in newspapers, and seen on the news stories of teachers falsely accused of inappropriate behaviour with students and then have their lives and careers ruined by it. I know there are steps you can take to make sure this doesn't happen (never being alone with students, if you need to discipline someone have another member of staff present etc.) but is that always practical.

There were members of staff in my school who for some unknown reason were labelled as 'pervs'. This probably happened years ago and word just caught on and stuck, but I always found myself feeling sorry for them as they I never saw anything that would lead me to that conclusion.

My question is really; Is this a rare occurrence, and if it's not, how are you trained to deal with it and it's consequences?

Cheers
Reply 1
+Rep for not making me think I'm being irrational. I agree with what your History teacher said, as soon as I get onto a PGCE programme :crossedf: I will be joining NASUWT, but even if you are part of a union and they help you with it, you are still suspended immediately and there will always be people who don't believe you.

I am a worrier, I realise this.

Good luck with quitting smoking! :smile:
Reply 2
I know, I've left school now, the days of worrying that I'm going to be told off by the head should be long gone now, sadly no :frown:
Yes, we shall be fine :smile:

Do what I do, sleep in until 3/4pm and then by the time the cravings come, it's bed time! :biggrin:

Although I don't smoke, I'm just lazy. You could use that method and apply it to smoking...
Reply 3
I guess not being wrongly accused are where our common interests end, and for that I am sad :frown:

However, thank you for replying and good luck :smile:

Goodnight
Honestly it's fine. Yes, kids will make accusations occasionally, but that's why you pay your union fees, so if something goes wrong you have backup and legal representation. Accusations are actually fairly rare and you can take steps to avoid them. Always have your door open if you are talking one-to-one with a student, make sure you always leave an appropriate distance, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending