Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LibertarianMP)
Right wing- Love the country
Left wing- hate it, usually a middle class do-gooder or immigrant
Wow, where did you complete your degree in politics?
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LibertarianMP)
Right wing- Love the country
Left wing- hate it, usually a middle class do-gooder or immigrant
Even I wouldn’t go for such an oversimplification, even if it does seem like we see a lot of self loathing leftists and ones that find the very notion of patriotism abhorrent these days - despite there being many on the left having a love for their country and seeing their idealisms as national interest.
Likewise, you may find some pretty unpatriotic right wingers but eh
( I imagine this wasn’t meant to be a serious post in any case)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
Even I wouldn’t go for such an oversimplification, even if it does seem like we see a lot of self loathing leftists and ones that find the very notion of patriotism abhorrent these days - despite there being many on the left having a love for their country and seeing their idealisms as national interest.
Likewise, you may find some pretty unpatriotic right wingers but eh
( I imagine this wasn’t meant to be a serious post in any case)
Wholeheartedly agree, it was just a tongue in cheek comment
whatsprogressive
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It doesn't make sense outside the western world. India's progressive Hindu middle class are right-wing (despite what the liberal media would have you believe) whereas Christians and Muslims are left-wing.
greggh02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I disagree. From my observations and personal experiences with the left, they do everything in their power both online and on the streets through activism to stop anyone having their voice heard, by trying to block any opposing protest rally, by finding out the enployers of their opponents and telling them that by employing that person they are giving a livelihood to Nazis and white supremacists and they use violence against those they disagree with
Fulteee83
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Who cares, grow up the lot of you.
Kirstyc12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by alex5455)
i just knew it would be the right wingers who came in with insulting left wingers and calling them inferior or only want free stuff. the right are also extremely intolerant of any differing view point and viciously attack anyone who disagrees, you have the freedom to hold an opinion only if it agrees with theirs.
So when a democratic vote where right wing won the lefties didn’t throw their toys out of the pram? I would say your comment is very hypocritical!
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Right wing- sitting on the right side of a plane.
Left wing- sitting on the left side of a plane.
Mick Zen
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think the idea of left and right is about creating division - what if you like some left ideals and some right ? we are forced into compromise !Surely in this day and age each individually policy could be decided by referenda, thereby doing away with the need for predominantly corrupt politicians
Last edited by Mick Zen; 3 months ago
Beb-B
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Dux_Helvetica)
If you don't know the difference between 'left' and 'right' wing while on the verge of going into university, do not go into political journalism, for the love of God. Stick to writing about fashion.

Also, every definition of what 'left' and 'right' wing means will be inherently biased because anybody knowledgeable enough to provide a decent answer will have an opinion of their own and will reflect that in their explanation. A bit of a catch-22.
I agree with the points that you made, but she (I am assuming it's a she) did not say she wants to be political journalist, she wants to be a journalist. And it's good that she wants to be informed on all things possible especially on the things she is not familiar with. I like how you put the last sentence together.
zhog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The right and left thing comes from the French revolution and newly formed assembly, where representatives of the plebs sat to the left and those representative of all else to the right. Didn't work out that well but it left a mark.

For obvious reasons, the left were much more eager to change the world than the right and that is something that will never change.
Last edited by zhog; 3 months ago
RichPiana
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Right wing: You play on the right hand side of the pitch
Left wing: You play on the left hand side of the pitch
Korkylum22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hmm, sounds a bit like a dog fight, would be better if they all came together for the good of the country! But anyway thanks for the clarification 👍
Korkylum22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hmm, sounds a bit like a dog fight, would be better if they all came together for the good of the country! But anyway thanks for the clarification 👍
Cheesecake17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for asking the question and to those who answered it, I finally know now too!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Cheesecake17; 3 months ago
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ukip72)
Right wing means 'Superior'. Left wing means 'Inferior'.
Unless you still think Brexit was a good idea, then you're just delusional.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
Wow, where did you complete your degree in politics?
UKIP, obviously.
joggybush1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I jogg, amy a regular user of Hotschedules <a href=
NorthernJ_18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
First post, I believe been 'right wing' is used as a stick the media beats with. Tommy Robinson is described as far right so is Nigel Farage two greatly different people. They're both used as labels (wrongly a lot of the time) but been 'far left' seems to be a lot more acceptable then 'far right'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.36%
No (377)
72.64%

Watched Threads