The Student Room Group

Right | What to do?

Right. I have received my GCSE results, and am now doing A-Levels. I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physcology and ICT. I want to do medicine.
I gained a couple of A*'s and A's but got a B in Chemistry/Biology at GCSE, mainly due to the teacher being well terrible (honestly)

Well I started sixth form a few days ago and started my A-Levels today. I want to focus on Chemistry and Biology and get A at AS, I got a B at GCSE and my teacher said I would most likely come out with a C or maybe a D because of that. How do I make my grade up to an A?

How many hours should I study a day? How should I study, I mean, text book, notes etc.

My exam board is OCR.

Really need help, as my first topic on Isotopes, my teacher didn't explain very well and I didn't understand and when I told her, she was going to help me, then someone called her, then she never came back even though I asked her.

So yeah, all help is REALLY appreciated, as this affects my future life, and ever since I was in primiary school this has been my sole ambition, and I am dedicated, motivated as I ever can be and can someone PLEASE give me some tips at how to succeed in A-Levels mainly in Chem/Bio OCR AS

Thanks!
Reply 1
Anyone? Please? :frown:
Original post by Danny786
Anyone? Please? :frown:

Give us a chance! You only posted that 20 minutes ago :tongue:

It's up to you how many hours a day you study, do as much as you feel is necessary.

Also if there are topics you get stuck on then you can find advice in the study help section of TSR http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11 :smile:
Reply 3
I want people on here to give me tips and pointers

preferably people who have already done Chemistry/Biology and have received an A, And are doing medicine now

so they can tell me how hard it is.

OCR specification - AS.
If you're finding isotopes difficult then you're going to have a big problem with a lot of the content, isn't isotopes pretty basic GCSE stuff?

Just remember to write notes during lessons and review them after school, then when you get around a month or so before exam time start spending 30-40 minutes a day looking over everything, and a lot more than that the day of the exam.
I want people on here to give me tips and pointers

preferably people who have already done Chemistry/Biology and have received an A, And are doing medicine now

so they can tell me how hard it is.

OCR specification - AS.

Oh yay, I fit your specification, lucky me :tongue:

Please appreciate that not everyone will find it the same level of difficulty, for some people it'll seem easy, for others they may have to work harder. You'll figure out where you stand with that in due course, if you feel yourself struggling then there is help available elsewhere on this site, plus you can put more hours into studying then if need be.

It's really a case of starting and adjusting what you're doing if need be :redface:
Reply 6
Hmm. Yes however, How hard is the OCR AS Chemistry/Biology?

I mean to get an A, should I do topics that we are going to do e.g. next week, so when teacher covers them I already know most of it, so I'm kind of ahead? Or would that be bad.. as she's not a really good teacher

really stuck :frown:
Take responsibility for your own learning, don't rely on teachers. Get some revision guides for the courses you're doing and start studying early, find out what modules your first exams will be on(print out module specifications and tick off all the topics as you master them), get some past papers and practice... exams are a doddle when you're over-prepared.
Reply 8
Hmm. Yes however, How hard is the OCR AS Chemistry/Biology?

I mean to get an A, should I do topics that we are going to do e.g. next week, so when teacher covers them I already know most of it, so I'm kind of ahead? Or would that be bad.. as she's not a really good teacher

really stuck :frown:

Are you doing OCR Chemistry A? It's actually slightly easier than some other exam boards so that's a good thing. Try and read ahead and teach yourself some of the concepts, then when you cover them in class it's sort of a revision lesson. Make sure you ask about something you don't get. For Chemistry understanding how things work is so important. Keep badgering her and she will eventually help. Like you said this is your future so do what ever it takes :cool:
Reply 9
myyrn. That's true. I will, I don't know the specification or what text book to buy, Guess I'll have to ask her tomorrow. :smile:

Is one hour a day sufficient, or would you expect more?
Reply 10
myyrn. That's true. I will, I don't know the specification or what text book to buy, Guess I'll have to ask her tomorrow. :smile:

Is one hour a day sufficient, or would you expect more?

More than sufficient but it depends how quickly you pick things up. You'll find that some topics will take longer to understand then others but as long as you keep on top of your work you'll be okay.
Reply 11
Bump

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
Bump? So other people can give me their input.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
Heyy there :smile:. Dont worry about getting a B at gcse and stuff. My teacher told me the same thing as I got BB in double science tho for example left with an A in bio two marks of an A*. Bio and chem are fun I loved it alot more in second year especially the last exams in the summer. What I would do if I were you is first get the specification for both bio and chem. Then start making notes for each spec point using the textbook and the internet. There are loads of great youtube clips to watch. You will do alot better if you understand what your learning rather than memorising the text book! So as your making notss once you finish a topic review your notes. Then carry on till you finish the module. Try to finish with a month left before your exams and just go over your notes. Anytime you dont understand something ask your teacher and dont be shy. Someone else is sitting there probably confused too. If you think your teacher isnt good, ask to jump in another classes lessom during your free lesson. Thats wa I did just asked a mate who had bio whilst I had a free who her teacher was. And lastly use past papers! Use the old soec and new you will find loaaads of questions to do. Oh and dont cock up your practicals, they can save you in the end :laugh:. Hope that helped!
Reply 14
Ahh! But there are no revision guides, as my spec is new as it came out 2 years ago :|
Reply 15
Ahh! But there are no revision guides, as my spec is new as it came out 2 years ago :|

I thought you said you did OCR. There are OCR revision guides out there, deffo CGP ones at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending