The Student Room Group

Why would someone from England want to apply to Edinburgh/St Andrews?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vertigo2012
I can only speak for Edinburgh here, but from what I've learned...

If you do a full year abroad at a European institution you don't pay fees that year (either to host or Edinburgh), so subtract 9k. I'd have wanted to do a year abroad whether studying in England or Scotland, but this way it helps account for that "extra" year in the four year programme.

Edinburgh also offers a bloody good financial aid package (up to 7K depending on your background). This meant that even without applying for a maintenance loan I'd still have more money that I would at an English Uni (and that's including their respective bursaries). So yeah, there's a risk of more debt, but for the next four years at least life is going to be very easy to sustain for me. (I'd be interested to find out how much Scottish students get in loans and bursaries, as less debt doesn't necessarily equal "more money", at least in the short-term).

Anyway, I chose Edinburgh because I love the city and because I liked the course (with all its flexibility). I also get to explore another country (which I haven't seen nearly enough of), and the fact that it's prestigious and historic without being situated in a small town was a bonus. The issues you've raised have never once crossed my mind, and I don't see why you need to establish some kind of Us Vs Them situation simply because Scottish students don't pay fees or might try to out-gun you.

You want to study at whichever institution floats your boat, you apply, and you either get accepted or rejected. The rest is gravy.

Thanks for the long reply, but all of this has been said (similar things anyway).
I don't think I'm trying to establish an us vs them mentality. :confused:
I just think the systems are both pretty ****ed. Everything should be on the same system anyway.
Any explanation for the negs?
Reply 82
Scottish universities although they don't say it like to have a large intake of English students because they have to pay fees.

This may make it (off the record) more likely that you'll get an offer from a top uni like Edinburgh or St Andrews
Reply 83
Original post by When you see it...
No it shouldn't. It should be the same system everywhere. Granted, the current Scottish system is better than the current English one, but if the 2 sets of students are both applying through UCAS etc. in the same applcant pool then there should be none of this BS about he Unis getting more money per English student than per Scottish student - that makes it easier for English students to get in! ot to mention the extra debt English students would get into.
FREE EDUCATION EVERYWHERE AND NO BIAS IN ADMISSIONS!

Education is subsidised by the government for UK students wherever you go. It just so happens that the Scottish government subsidises students staying in Scotland more. As far as I remember, what a uni receives in funding per student is the same whether the student is from Scotland or England.

Original post by Vertigo2012

Edinburgh also offers a bloody good financial aid package (up to 7K depending on your background). This meant that even without applying for a maintenance loan I'd still have more money that I would at an English Uni (and that's including their respective bursaries). So yeah, there's a risk of more debt, but for the next four years at least life is going to be very easy to sustain for me. (I'd be interested to find out how much Scottish students get in loans and bursaries, as less debt doesn't necessarily equal "more money", at least in the short-term).

FWIW, there are English unis with much more generous bursaries than that (off the top of my head, I think some of my friends had approx 10k total per year).
Reply 84
The general impression I get is that they are super hard to get into, despite not being that good compared to unis in England that are easier to get into.
For English students, it costs 9k per year, so immediately you would leave at a disadvantage compared to your coursemates (also, during the course, maybe you would have less money spare, so would have to work more hours, have less money to spend on luxuries etc.) who wouldn't pay fees.
I can see how they would be attractive to Scottish students due to the zero tuition fees, but why would someone apply there from England? These unis already get the best students from Scotland to choose from (because to a clever Scottish student, it would be more attractive to study at Edinburgh for free than at Cambridge for 27k, therefore these unis attract a lot of people who would otherwise prefer Oxbridge if not for the fees situation), making them more competetive than Unis of a similar quality in England.

I have to assume you're joking; St Andrews and Edinburgh are both consistently ranked in the top 10 in the UK; Edinburgh often top 5. I don't know who told you they're "not that good compared to English unis".
Reply 85

For English students, it costs 9k per year, so immediately you would leave at a disadvantage compared to your coursemates (also, during the course, maybe you would have less money spare, so would have to work more hours, have less money to spend on luxuries etc.) who wouldn't pay fees.

No, because you don't pay fees up front. You can take out a loan therefore not disadvantaged.

What you have said is true to some extent. There's also the additional year that it can take. This is what put off most when I applied 10 years ago. Telling them I was applying to Glasgow was met with a confused look and they questioned why I wanted to study for an additional year (and this was when tuition fees were only little over 1k a year, not 3k as they became in 2006 or up to 9k that they are now). I am only aware of two people who went to a Scottish university, both Edinburgh (one to study medicine, the other classics). Everyone else went to universities in the region, mainly Newcastle and Durham, or other English universities such as Nottingham and Cambridge.

However, league tables do have significant influence with applicants and St Andrews are now typically in the top five or at least top 10. Edinburgh has slipped slightly but still ranks high. So this is why they remain attractive. These universities have also traditionally had a large intake of privately educated English students when compared to other Scottish universities, particularly ones as far north as Aberdeen. This has continued.

They also remain popular locations in which to study. Edinburgh being a capital city, St Andrews with its rustic cheap and beach. Then there's course content of course and some people may find the more flexible, broader Scottish system more appealing.
Reply 86
Yes, but are they not more competetive in relation to universities of similar quality in England?

are you crazy dude? they are both in top 10 universities in the UK
Any explanation for the negs?

Typical ****ing tsr. You are all *****.

Quick Reply

Latest