Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, a couple of days ago, I forwarded ports on my router to allow me to get better speeds on Azureus. I gave all the computers (3) on my network static I.P. addresses, and everything was going smoothly. I was getting much better speeds, about 300kB/s more... But just yesterday, funny things started happening to my web browsing. Fox wouldn't be able to view webpages (I tried other browsers as well) and MSN wasn't signing in; however Azureus was still chomping away quite happily. So, I reset the modem and things tended to work. It happened again just now (Azureus was on), so I restarted and didn't open up Azureus, and the net works fine. I guess it's fairly obvious that the forwarding of ports has done something, however I wanted to see what some of you thought, I could be wrong, there could be a simple solution to this. Anyway, what do you think about this? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    It could be a router problem. With the large amounts of data that plods through it due to Azureus it could be running into problems.

Try resetting the router next time instead of the modem and see what happens. What model and make is it?

ReputationRep:
    can i ask what ports you forwarded? as i want to increase my azureus speeds as well. thx.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to limit Azureuses upload speed to about 12k if you havent already; if you have a cheap router bit torrent will kill it because of the number of concurrent connections.

ReputationRep:
    It's a Belkin F5D7231-4. And PM, upload is limited at 12k already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    if you have a cheap router bit torrent will kill it because of the number of concurrent connections.
    (Original post by FPS Doug)
    It's a Belkin

Enough said. Halve or quarter the number of connections that Azureus makes and see if that makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant1337)
    can i ask what ports you forwarded? as i want to increase my azureus speeds as well. thx.
    6881-6889

ReputationRep:
    Alright, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I had troubles with that router handling large numbers of connections and so bought a new netgear one which seems to have solved the problems.

ReputationRep:
    Right, yeah, I think I'll have to buy a better router. Could anyone give me any recommendations? I hear Linksys are pretty good... Anyway, temporary solution was to just limit my upload speed on Azureus - fox and azureus seem to be happy working with each other now, but it's not an ideal solution at all. Cheers guys.

ReputationRep:
    Linksys all the way, ~£45 for a wireless g ADSL2 one from eBuyer.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.