Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey just a quick question - is it a good idea to apply for 2 courses for the same university e.g. economics (aaa) and also economics and geography (abb) at ucl? I was thinking that if these 2 courses have the same admissions tutor, mabe that wont be so good, but i dont know that. Has any of ou done this? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I applied for Business Management and AI at Manchester, got accepted at both; although it's a lot tougher to write your personal statement geared towards two courses though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)
    Yeah, I applied for Business Management and AI at Manchester, got accepted at both; although it's a lot tougher to write your personal statement geared towards two courses though.
    yeah u may find that u can send them additional info. i applied for eco everywhere accept lse where i applied for acc n fin, but they let me sent them an additional personal statement directly via the post. cant say it helped thou cos i still got rejected lol!

ReputationRep:
    Naa, I managed to squish everything into the space we were given... basically don't waffle and make sure every sentence is telling something different and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Hey just a quick question - is it a good idea to apply for 2 courses for the same university e.g. economics (aaa) and also economics and geography (abb) at ucl? I was thinking that if these 2 courses have the same admissions tutor, mabe that wont be so good, but i dont know that. Has any of ou done this? :confused:
    UCL were giving out tons of offers this year. On my open day there were 140 people given offers, and two other open days followed. What I'm assuming is that UCL are aware they will be given consideration only when people have been rejected from Oxbridge and LSE, and so make lots of offers at AAA to cover.

This means if you have been predicted all As (and do the right subjects) you're likely to get an offer, and the Economics department doesn't interview.

there are 100 places for L100, given the open days they must have made around 400 offers.

Soz, in a round about way I was trying to say that you'll probably get a place on the L100 course at UCL unless it suddenly becomes the best economics department in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)

there are 100 places for L100, given the open days they must have made around 400 offers.
    soz im feeling abit braindead at the moment, what do you mean they must have made around 400 offers? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    soz im feeling abit braindead at the moment, what do you mean they must have made around 400 offers? :cool:
    Basically they are making offers in huge excess of the places that they actually have on the course, i.e. making 300 more offers than places. They know many people will slip up on the grades or turn them down for oxbridge/LSE.

Therefore because of their willingness to give offers I think you'll get one, no need to apply for two courses.

ReputationRep:
    Basically they are making offers in huge excess of the places that they actually have on the course, i.e. making 300 more offers than places. They know many people will slip up on the grades or turn them down for oxbridge/LSE.

Therefore because of their willingness to give offers I think you'll get one, no need to apply for two courses.
    gotcha ta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    i applied to lse for Economics L101 and Economics and Economic History VL71. I got an offer for the latter, and rejection for the former. The decisions were made on the same day. I cant help but feeling that they made me an offer for VL71 as L101 is already oversubscribed so it would be easier for them to refer me over to the course VL71(if you know what i mean!).i keep wondering that if i applied for just one,L100, i would have got an offer for that (if ure still with me).i know that this course is more competitive but you cant help but wonder.All i would say is that if you do apply for two courses at somewhere like the lse make sure you wouldnt mind doing either course as the chances are they wont make you both offers unless you're exceptional.im pretty fortunate as i have a genuine interest in history.

Sukh.

ReputationRep:

oh yea by the way do other universities such as LSE do this where they say they have 100 places, but they actually give out more places?

ReputationRep:
    oh yea by the way do other universities such as LSE do this where they say they have 100 places, but they actually give out more places?
    Well they do give out more offers than places, as they know some people may still want to go to oxbridge. But LSE can hold its own, so the amount of it's offers won't be as excessive as UCL.

ReputationRep:
    difficult since if youre trying to show obsessive passion for one course.. youre going to look a bit suspect if youve actually applied for two different courses.. even if they are closely linked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    difficult since if youre trying to show obsessive passion for one course.. youre going to look a bit suspect if youve actually applied for two different courses.. even if they are closely linked.
    yea thats what ive been thinking too, therefore i said if you could avoid 2 courses with the same admin tutor, it would be ok, because they cant find out whether you have applied 2 different courses then can they?

ReputationRep:
    my mum rung up lse after i got rejected and just for an exapmle in 2002 they had just under 19000 applicants for just under 2000 places!!!mad!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who applied for 3 courses at Oxford Brookes and got offers for all of them.

ReputationRep:
    yea thats what ive been thinking too, therefore i said if you could avoid 2 courses with the same admin tutor, it would be ok, because they cant find out whether you have applied 2 different courses then can they?
    If the 2 admissions tutors are in the same uni, then they can see that you've applied for 2 courses - it's only the case that unis can't see where else you've applied apart from them. I applied for Medieval English and History and Medieval and Ancient History at Birmingham and got offers for both, so clearly it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    i applied for 2 courses in portsmouth and got accepted to both, and there are only about 20-30 places on each course. accepted one as firm, the other as insurance.

say, the 2 courses have the same entry requirements, right?? if i don't meet the grades, does it give at all give me an advantage that i put both down on my form? shows that i really wanna go there like!? i know i probably should have just put the one down, but i thought 'why not??'

have i done wrong??

ReputationRep:
    Can u apply for 2 courses at all unis?? Wot about Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    Can u apply for 2 courses at all unis?? Wot about Oxbridge?
    No way, or else I'd have done two In essence applying to two courses at oxbridge is on part with applying with both oxford and cambridge - which isn't allowed.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.