Feminist Classics Watch

toni997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I had never read any feminist books until a couple of days ago when i started reading The Female Eunach by Germaine Greer. It has sent me into a bit a spin as it seems to have done for many other women. I was wondering what other feminist books you have enjoyed and could recommend to budding bra burners!
spacedonkey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by toni997)
I had never read any feminist books until a couple of days ago when i started reading The Female Eunach by Germaine Greer. It has sent me into a bit a spin as it seems to have done for many other women. I was wondering what other feminist books you have enjoyed and could recommend to budding bra burners!
The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf is essential reading!

Betty Friedan also - the godmother of feminism
Ariadne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Vera Brittain - Testament of Youth

And most things by Virginia Woolf.
bright-eyes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Second Sex by Simone De Beauvoir.
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollestonecraft
Declaration of the Rights of Women by Olympe De Gouges
Frankenstein (depends on how you read it) by Mary Shelley
marshmallow_mayhem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some would argue that 'Jane Eyre' would be a feminist classic. Doesn't seem like it, in my opinion...
UnaChance
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just finsihed Jane Eyre. More of a sympathy for the women book then a feminist book
finnish_777
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have read pride and prejudice,
UnaChance
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like Pride and Prejudice but Sense and Sensibility one the whole was better
**noooni**
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Something more contemporary- Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood.
tomtheone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by **noooni**)
Definately a good book
Evil-Tuna
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
nonsenseandmischief
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by **noooni**)
(Original post by tomtheone)
Definately a good book
I really wanna read that. We did a chapter at A-level and I wanted to read it then but for some reason i didn't
*makes note to read it after the other 3 books in my "to read" pile*
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Female Eunuch- Germaine Greer
wilbur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'The Yellow Wallpaper' - Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Studying it for A-Level may have jaded me to it slightly, but it's still worth a look.
nonsenseandmischief
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wilbur)
'The Yellow Wallpaper' - Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Studying it for A-Level may have jaded me to it slightly, but it's still worth a look.
OMG that was on my English A level paper - the A2 one that you get like 3 days before the exam (horrible paper - they give you about 8 extracts, poems, articles etc, with a connecting theme, and expect you to know them inside out and back-to-front within 3 days!) Anyways, the point is, its a really strange book, but in a good way.
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it's important to remember that feminism is also a criticism which can be applied to a text rather than being something which we read from texts, as if it were an inherent property of certain texts.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
WTF the female eunuch was an awful read for me, it was completely outdated not to mentioned badly written. Read the whole woman (by Greer) instead, no promises though as I read that when I was a lot younger, but its a very very popular book.

Also see this guide:

http://www.thefword.org.uk/reviews/2...nist_mustreads

Have fun.
emily-in-a-coma
Report 12 years ago
I loved the Female Eunuch. It took me a while to read the Second Sex, by Simone de Beauvoir, because it was quite long winded etc. I liked it, but I love the way that Germaine Greer really engages the reader with her almost informal way of writing. She is funny and intelligent and I think the book is fantastic. It really aided my understanding of feminism. I would now describe myself as a feminist, whereas before I couldn't have understood the concept as well.

The Vindication of the Rights of Women was good as well, I really liked it. Has anyone else seen that Melyvn Bragg book, about 12 books that changed the world? The Vindication... is in it, i had a quick flick through it in a bookshop but didn't buy it because the rest of the book is about football and stuff.

xxxxxx
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Handmaid's Tale
wilbur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by meluvjohnnydepp)
OMG that was on my English A level paper - the A2 one that you get like 3 days before the exam (horrible paper - they give you about 8 extracts, poems, articles etc, with a connecting theme, and expect you to know them inside out and back-to-front within 3 days!) Anyways, the point is, its a really strange book, but in a good way.
Ah yes, the wonderful synoptic paper. I have that to look forward to in the summer
:p:
'The Yellow Wallpaper' seems a bit on the lengthy side for that paper, the longest pieces I've seen have been about 3/4 sides maximum. I pity you having to digest all that!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.27%
No (486)
60.83%
Not really bothered about them (167)
20.9%

Watched Threads