Why is there NOT Uniforms in University? Watch

This discussion is closed.
roberto111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So we have Uniforms in Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, Some in 6th From, but why not in University?

I Come from a Poor Background, and was considering Not going Uni due to the £9k Fees, but then decided to take the loan and see how it goes.

Now in University there is No Uniform, and i cant afford e.g the Latest NIKE/ ADDIDAS Clothing etc. Do people, look down at you, with you know, Crappy clothes etc , Since im poor i like the idea of a Uniform(please not -neg me) What do you think, should there be a uniform?

So yeah...
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No one is stopping you wearing a uniform.
acer0951
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Trust me no one probably even cares about what you wear! Because they are too busy thinking about themselves! Just wear what you have or are comfortable in and people should accept you for that and not what trainers you have!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
blahblah772
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
cos they're lame
Billton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by roberto111)
So we have Uniforms in Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, Some in 6th From, but why not in University?

I Come from a Poor Background, and was considering Not going Uni due to the £9k Fees, but then decided to take the loan and see how it goes.

Now in University there is No Uniform, and i cant afford e.g the Latest NIKE/ ADDIDAS Clothing etc. Do people, look down at you, with you know, Crappy clothes etc , Since im poor i like the idea of a Uniform(please not -neg me)

So yeah...
Trust me after a few weeks you'll be wearing your trusty, scruffy, comfy hoody like there's no tomorrow. I don't know anyone with the latest stuff- and since I'm so un-fashionable myself :yep: I wouldn't know whether it was new/trendy anyway :cool:
...mo...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Come in your PJ's. You will get respect for that.
TheBatman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not paying 27k for my degree to be told what to wear like a petulant child!
Mr Dangermouse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No one really gives a **** as long as you wear clean clothes and at least try to be presentable.
username208984
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There was a guy on my course who wore a white suit everywhere, he looked awesome
Horatio-
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't tell if you're seriously asking why there isn't uniform.

Few people will be looking at you strangely for not wearing labels. Just don't look like an actual bum? Also stop worrying about everyone else and the oh noes I'm poor spiel. You're in the same boat as many other people. Just get on with it.
Harley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think that there should be a uniform, university is about becoming independent and an adult, and in real life people wear different things. If uniforms were mandatory at university, then you could just as easily say that everyone working in an office has to wear the same thing in case of discrimination. Some people can afford more expensive clothes than others and you've just got to accept that and do the best you can with what you've got

Plus people probably won't care what brand of clothes your wearing
iluvmaths
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
as far as i know, uniforms such as suits cost more than nike or addidas hoodies! plus, dont wear nike or addidas at uni, thats so corny... have class and wear smart shirts with an occasional jumper or a hoodie from burton or ZARA but look like an adult, not a kid!
blahblahblah1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Uni's dont have uniform because we aren't children. Welcome to the start of real life.
BeautifullyTragic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No one cares whether you have the latest stuff or not, just wear what you normally wear out of education
Monstersandmen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is a guy on my course who doesn't wear shoes. I think you'll be ok no clad in designer gear somehow.
Theroomofstudents
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's no uniform in College...
When you see it...
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People don't really tease each other for wearing 'poor clothes'.
I've never got the whole 'uniforms are good for poor people' argument because you don't have to get the latest nike clothes. Only 6 year olds tease each other about this suff.
Most of the people who advocate for more uniforms are middle class mums who can't think of another crusade, so pretend not to be able to afford nike clothes (which they wouldn't need to get anyway, peer pressure doesn't really exist for clothes).
Obsidian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's one of the privileges of being an adult I suppose. Can you imagine mature students wearing University uniforms? Yes, in some places of work there are uniforms but in many there is simply a 'dress-code'. Basically, smart and appropriate. As a student, it is probably expected that you will be wearing casual clothes.

There is, from what I saw on open days, no reason to buy the latest clothes - I certainly won't be. You can wear what you want and there is no expectation that you will be buying new clothes all the time. People are there to learn and participate, not to look cool or set trends. The attention will be on your ideas and work rather than what you are wearing. Enjoy your time at Uni

Hope that helps
djtain1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a pile of about 7 proper shirts of different colours and patterns. I think I'll wear them for class as it gets me in the right frame of mind for working and concentrating, if i wore my everyday clothes I would see myself as too relaxed.

And also because i literally have no money and cant afford to buy any more clothes :confused:
KiaraMarissa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just embrace your hobo hipster look. People will love it!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.2%
The paper was reasonable (1037)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (143)
7.66%

Watched Threads