Nottingham - is it genuinely safe at night?

Watch
Purple Giraffe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Initially I wasn't too phased about the statistics and the hype surrounding 'Shottingham' because every city has its crime, but I've recently let it get to me and am now almost regretting not going to my insurance. I know I'm probably getting worked up over nothing, and have read I should just avoid certain places at night, but it still makes me feel sick thinking about going on nights out.

Can any current students or people who live there put my mind at rest?
yahyahyahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Purple Giraffe)
Initially I wasn't too phased about the statistics and the hype surrounding 'Shottingham' because every city has its crime, but I've recently let it get to me and am now really regretting not going to my insurance (Bristol). I know I'm probably getting worked up over nothing, and have read I should just avoid certain places at night, but it still makes me feel sick thinking about going on nights out.

It's fine. As long as you don't go looking for trouble, trouble won't find you.
Fission_Mailed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have walked home (often alone and almost always drunk) more times that I can remember and have never had a sniff of trouble. Touch wood.

Nottingham is like any other city, there a bad bits but there is almost no reason why you'd ever go there as a student. Keep your head screwed on and take the same precautions you would anywhere else (i.e. don't pull your iPhone out when the only people on the street are you and a dodgy looking bloke, don't take the shortcut under the bridge at the bottom of Lenton Blvd). If you don't get into street fights at home it isn't going to happen here unless you look for it. Unless your insurance was Keele or St Andrews, I doubt it will be much safer.
fanfair92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Be sensible, stick with a group and don't go out on saturday nights
Purple Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by fanfair92)
Be sensible, stick with a group and don't go out on saturday nights
Really? I thought that'd be the night most people would want to go out (I can see that being part of the problem), including my flat mates :/ But fair enough!
fanfair92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not really, I can count on one hand the number of Saturday nights I went out last year. Definitely not a night when most people would be going out, Friday yes, Saturday no. All student nights are during the week, Saturdays tend to be a) more expensive and b) dominated by local people, non-students and, forgive me, they tend to be slightly rougher.
mayer91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Purple Giraffe)
Initially I wasn't too phased about the statistics and the hype surrounding 'Shottingham' because every city has its crime, but I've recently let it get to me and am now almost regretting not going to my insurance. I know I'm probably getting worked up over nothing, and have read I should just avoid certain places at night, but it still makes me feel sick thinking about going on nights out.

You'll be ok. Saturday is not the one to go out on like others have said, i personally have had no trouble though even on a Saturday, just feels a bit rough and there's a fair bit of aggression in the air (my view).
Other than that it's fine. I lived in Raleigh in first year and walked back at any time between 2-5 am on my own and it was fine.
Having said that, i'm a guy and i think it might be different for girls, but on the whole it's fine and it's unlikely you'll have trouble.
Also, there's always people outside clubs and bars who are waiting for a taxi back to campus halls or others, so just share with them.
Easiest to just stay in a group though!
Just out of interest, what was your insurance choice?
Fission_Mailed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Saturday is normally a decent night. Hey Hey Hey, anyone?
brb_gone_gym
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most of the statistics are a result of gang on gang crime. I am from Nottingham originally and went to Sheffield and I would say that the areas the students are in at both are similarly safe.
No need to worry, I have been out a lot in Nottingham and never had any trouble nor have any of my mates. There are horror stories from everywhere in the country.

You will be fine.
Kazbian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, Hey Hey Hey is good. We tend not to go out on Saturday nights just because it's more expensive (with the exception of Hey Hey Hey). I have walked around at night on my own loads and walked home from nights out drunk on my own (though I do normally do it with at least one other person) without any trouble at all. I think it's the same as any other city really.
Fission_Mailed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ooh, and Highness Sound System at the Bodega; that's on Saturdays and it's amazing. If you don't go out on Saturday you'll miss some cracking stuff.
mayer91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
Ooh, and Highness Sound System at the Bodega; that's on Saturdays and it's amazing. If you don't go out on Saturday you'll miss some cracking stuff.
fair play, highness at Bodega is sick. Doesn't beat Up n Down Under though
fanfair92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My Bodega night is Electric Banana cos it beats the hell out of Crisis and there's free sambuca!
sabian92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends where you are as well. I know somebody who lives not 100 feet from the spot where a 14 year old lad was shotgunned in the head point blank. The worst of it is they shot the wrong lad as well - completely innocent guy ended up getting shot because of a mistaken identity. To say they didn't find a lot of his upper body is well... an understatement.

Her local KFC had bullet holes in the window at one point as well.

Avoid St. Ann(e)s as well. People regularly turn up not so alive from what I've seen too.

Just be streetsmart and you'll be fine. No rough areas and try to go home in a group, not alone.
PumdogMillionaire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It all depends on what you're comparing it to. If you're from a city quite similar like Leicester or Sheffield for example I imagine it will be basically the same. If you're from a tiny surrey village it may be pretty intimidating!

Saturdays are generally rougher and full of *******s although you cannot miss Hey Hey Hey! I don't know if the unis have a student night (wednesday?) but i always do thursdays and there's never been any problems. The worst thing thats happened to me is offered MD and Coke. It's seriously pretty safe, just avoid some of the ****hole areas that surround the centre and you'll be fine

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360
mallis
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hello

Please i would like some help if possible, i am going to nottingham university in a few weeks and my husbands going to nottingham trent city centre campus. I am confused on where we should rent an apartment, should we go for city centre or which areas would be accessible to both of our schools, transport links and all. I am a little scared about what i have been reading on some of the areas in nottingham like hyson green, radford, sherwood, lenton etc. I have no idea what are to consider now. We are looking for a reasonable flat maximum rent 550.
ROOMtoSELL
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mallis)
hello

Please i would like some help if possible, i am going to nottingham university in a few weeks and my husbands going to nottingham trent city centre campus. I am confused on where we should rent an apartment, should we go for city centre or which areas would be accessible to both of our schools, transport links and all. I am a little scared about what i have been reading on some of the areas in nottingham like hyson green, radford, sherwood, lenton etc. I have no idea what are to consider now. We are looking for a reasonable flat maximum rent 550.

Want a room to rent for 96pw, at manor villages. for 45 weeks. 10 minute walk away from the trent campus
Acidedge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mallis)
hello

Radford/Hyson Green are little on the grubby s***hole end of the scale. Sherwood's a bit far north really. But Lenton (south of Derby Road) is studentville and is fine. I'd see what you can get around there. Then you're both a short cycle/skate/bus ride from lectures at both Trent and Uni.

Oh, and Dunkirk is nicer than Lenton but is closer to Uni. That would then be walking distance to Uni but a short bus ride to Trent. You could also look to see if you can afford something The Park Estate (very nice), which is walking distance to town.
blahblahblah1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Notts at night is fine as long as ou stay out of the 'no go' areas which aren't near the unis so don't worry! Lenton and Dunkirk near uni of notts are a little rough round the edges looking but there is never any trouble and Clifton where Nottingham Trent is can be rough but the uni is on the outskirts anyway so that area is fine use busses (full of CCTV and well lit so no worries on those) stay in a group or use taxis (same as any other city) and you'll be fine.
Purple Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mayer91)
You'll be ok. Saturday is not the one to go out on like others have said, i personally have had no trouble though even on a Saturday, just feels a bit rough and there's a fair bit of aggression in the air (my view).
Other than that it's fine. I lived in Raleigh in first year and walked back at any time between 2-5 am on my own and it was fine.
Having said that, i'm a guy and i think it might be different for girls, but on the whole it's fine and it's unlikely you'll have trouble.
Also, there's always people outside clubs and bars who are waiting for a taxi back to campus halls or others, so just share with them.
Easiest to just stay in a group though!
Just out of interest, what was your insurance choice?
My insurance was Bristol.

My accommodation seems to be in Radford.. Should I be scared?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (117)
27.02%
England (154)
35.57%
Belgium (33)
7.62%
Germany (42)
9.7%
Spain (10)
2.31%