Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those who are doing/have done highers, how often did/do you revise and for how long at a time?

I was on holiday 10 days prior to my prelims and got AAAAB, much to my surprise, but I really want straight As in the finals.

Also, what methods do/did you use for revision?
    Sorry about the questions, I just want to see if I can pick up any tips from all you clever folk out there

ReputationRep:
    Well a technique I find helpful is to always write things down when you are studying as you remember more. It certainly worked for me cus I got 5 A's in my prelims.

What subjects are you doing and i could maybe give you more specific tips

Mike

ReputationRep:
    I tended to make notes on everything and anything. This didn't work too brilliantly for English, because i ended up with 13 pages of quotes - and that was the 'extremely edited' version of things And it was only for one text. I scraped an A in English, it was veeerrryyy close.

The best way (i think) to practice is by working through past papers, timing yourself and not letting yourself see your notes. Then mark it [strictly...] and make notes on anything you messed up/guessed/struggled with. If there's stuff you don't understand, go and find out what it means, and don't go along the 'oh, that'll never come up in the exam' route.
    Also, read through your notes every now and then, and put important things in bubbles/ underline key points. My scheme for this year is to attack everything with colouring pencils, and even if it isn't effective, it's certainly very pretty.
    Back to past papers... for maths, it's worth going back to the old papers, because a lot of the more recent ones are easier, and the older, harder ones will make the exam feel like a doddle/ slightly less like the end of the world at the very least.

When you do make pages of notes on stuff, i find it's good to make a whole big mess of random notes, and then sort them all out and put them onto A4 paper in terms of topic/whatever, then stick them up on your wall. Taking them down after the exams is great.

What subjects are you doing? It's always handy to know these things.

ReputationRep:
    For me, bullet points of things I have to know - something like a sheet per unit - in bright colours helps.

For physics specifically, I wrote down formula as I was given them in the back of my jotter, rewrote them every time I got a new book, then did that several more times for revision, and it really worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    For me, bullet points of things I have to know - something like a sheet per unit - in bright colours helps.

For physics specifically, I wrote down formula as I was given them in the back of my jotter, rewrote them every time I got a new book, then did that several more times for revision, and it really worked.
    Hehe Acaila the sqa decided that learning fomulae doesnt show you know about physics so they give us a formula book this year :p:

ReputationRep:
    (spelling? :p: )

You're kidding me on? {bashes head off laptop} :eek:

Still you need formula in other things

ReputationRep:

The way I've been revising for a couple of my subjects it to take notes on the computer. Not only am I better at typing than writing, plus it's much neater, but I can also edit it easily before the final exams.

ReputationRep:

there's not actually that many to remember...i think there's 3 in maths and 5 in chemistry...and thats it (for my subs anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanM)
    there's not actually that many to remember...i think there's 3 in maths and 5 in chemistry...and thats it (for my subs anyway)
    Wait till you get to AH maths, there are no formulae given and there's about 238472784127427394827 to know *sobs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    Wait till you get to AH maths, there are no formulae given and there's about 238472784127427394827 to know *sobs*
    Its alright, dont cry. Why did you take AH maths anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Cause I needed a third AH for Medicine at Cambridge if I was realistically in with a shot of an offer. I'd originally started doing French but it clashed with Biology, so I switched to Maths, which I thought they'd prefer anyway, which didn't clash

ReputationRep:
    Sounds so familiar.
    I got so sick even trying to remember the formula for AH Maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhesi)
    Hehe Acaila the sqa decided that learning fomulae doesnt show you know about physics so they give us a formula book this year :p:
    'Well, back in my day...' :rolleyes:

I'm pretty hopeless at studying for my AHs this year.
    - I'm just reading my AH Biology resources, hilighting along the way
    - Made chem notes using content statements/scholar, re-writing/reading/hilighting
    - English is excellent - memorise poems & passages, and waffle my way through things!

I'll hopefully get As in bio & english (touch wood), but I'll be happy with a C in chemistry... eek!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.