The Student Room Group

Mum won't admit she's an alcoholic?

For as long as I can remember my mum has drunk too much. On the way home from school she would always stop off at the off licence to buy cider and would drink like 1-2 big bottles a night. As I was young I didn't really know that this wasn't normal. She was then admitted to hospital with liver something (I was young) and she stopped drinking for 6 months and then she started again. She then went to hospital again a few years later for the same reason and stopped drinking for 6months.
She now drinks probably 4+ pints of beer a day and sometimes a wine as well. This is a lot right? Because she doesn't seem to think it is.
I have confronted her a lot and she admits she drinks a little too much but refuses to admit she's an alcoholic "I don't wake up with the shakes every morning do I, I stopped for 6 months that one time, it's only beer it's 4% blah blah blah"
She also hides alcoholic a lot and lies about how much she drinks even when I obviously can tell. About 10 mins ago I found a bottle of wine hidden in her clothes drawer (as I have done quite a few times before) because I was looking for my dress. I took it as she now will have to admit she's hiding alcohol and if she doesn't confront me, free wine (I'm 18 don't worry :tongue:) She's out at the moment with her friends and I am tempted to tell them about her drink problem so maybe they can stop encouraging her :/ but I don't think my mum would forgive me.
How do I get her to admit she's an alcoholic and go to the doctors or something? My dad also knows (they're split but good friends) and we frequently try to get her to cut down.
I know this makes her sound like a complete chav or whatever but she's far from it she's just had a very tough life and isn't a very strong willed person and I know she's trying her best and loves me a lot but it's just so frustrating.
I can never confide in anyone because I'm embarrassed, I go around friends houses with their mums baking cakes and doing normal mumsy things and mine just sit's on the sofa and drinks. Yay.
My friend came on holiday with us and my mum was drinking all the time and even she said 'Does she drink this much normally o.o" I felt so embarrassed and lied :/

Am I being melodramatic, would you be concerned too?
Sorry for the ramble XD
Reply 1
Original post by NobodyKnowsWho
Don't worry babe, I've been in the exact same position.

My mum's had the same problem but successfully given up drink, so I have a bit of experience and she also didn't admit to the problem open handedly. I think thats the hard bit.

There is a distinction to be made between a physical and psychological dependence on drink. Physical suggests you are a serious alcoholic, the shaky hands business as soon as you lay off, the dry skin if you gave up etc... whereas people with psychological dependence wouldn't have those problems. (this is what I have understood, but I am no expert) People with a pyschological dependence on drink could possibly go without it, but drink still fills a purpose for them, they are drinking for the wrong reasons and it is still a problem. Whereas people with full physical dependence are at risk of extreme side effects if they suddenly gave up possibly death and would have to go on a special programme.

From the sounds of it your mum has a psychological but not physical dependence. Would you say she drinks to help her deal with life? Her condition is a better position to be in than if she was physically dependant, but you are right she must first accept that she DOES have a problem and then address it.

X

Yea, she was abused when she was younger and is still struggling to accept what happened. She always says she needs it to relax. She had post natal depression and I think that's when it started. She also has panic attacks and social anxiety.
My mum is the same. ****ed up childhood, drinks too much, wont listen to anyone. I gave up on her years ago.
Reply 3
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
My mum is the same. ****ed up childhood, drinks too much, wont listen to anyone. I gave up on her years ago.

I am tempted to just let her get on with it but it's too painful to watch. Especially when she's drunk and crying about something -_-
Reply 4
Just try sitting down and telling her not in an angry way in a genuinely concerned way, not when she's had a drink when she's sober. I've been through it myself my mum was an alcoholic for 9 years and what you described is exactly what she was like at the start.
If she doesn't listen then you have to confide in someone close who might be able to help, then if they can't do anything, then you need to get nurses and people involved, cause she may feel like she doesn't have a problem and that she's in control, but that's what alcoholism does to a person. If you do have to get nurses and people involved, she will be angry, but don't let it get to you, it's just the alcohol after treatment and everything shell forgive you and realise you did it for a good reason
Original post by Anonymous
I am tempted to just let her get on with it but it's too painful to watch. Especially when she's drunk and crying about something -_-

Meh, I just let her get on with, it's so much easier than worrying. Why fight something you can't change (at least I can't change her in my case).
Reply 6
Original post by leahnic
Just try sitting down and telling her not in an angry way in a genuinely concerned way, not when she's had a drink when she's sober. I've been through it myself my mum was an alcoholic for 9 years and what you described is exactly what she was like at the start.
If she doesn't listen then you have to confide in someone close who might be able to help, then if they can't do anything, then you need to get nurses and people involved, cause she may feel like she doesn't have a problem and that she's in control, but that's what alcoholism does to a person. If you do have to get nurses and people involved, she will be angry, but don't let it get to you, it's just the alcohol after treatment and everything shell forgive you and realise you did it for a good reason

I have tried to talk to her so many times, so has my dad and her sister but she just complains that we are nagging her. How would I go about getting more help? What can they do? They aren't going to section her for drinking too much and I just don't think she'll co-operate.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I have tried to talk to her so many times, so has my dad and her sister but she just complains that we are nagging her. How would I go about getting more help? What can they do? They aren't going to section her for drinking too much and I just don't think she'll co-operate.

They won't section her no, she'd have to be a danger to herself and others around, but if you go into the doctors book an appointment for yourself, then when your their express your concerns about your mum and ask what of can do, then they should (hopefully) give you contacts to ring, ring them and explain the situation. If they say your mum has to go to them, then just ask her as if she'll just go try for one session and that's it, if she's not happy she doesn't have to do it again. Just tell her it'll put you at ease but remember you always have to talk about this stuff when she's sober, that's when shell be most co operative and actually listen to you.
I remember when I was younger I used to pour all her alcohol away or hide it in another place, would have to take all her cards and money and shed be so angry, but then once the alcohol was out her system it was like having my mum back again and she listened and actually tried to get help, now it was a long battle a very long battle, but never give up with it, there's always something you can try do you've just got to be positive and I know it sounds stupid, how can you be positive in a situation like that? But it's all you can do and it's what will help you get through the hard time.
Cause if she does agree and she does begin to quit then it will get worse for a bit and there's a lot of fighting, but after the few months of pain then you'll finally have your mum back
Reply 8
Original post by leahnic
They won't section her no, she'd have to be a danger to herself and others around, but if you go into the doctors book an appointment for yourself, then when your their express your concerns about your mum and ask what of can do, then they should (hopefully) give you contacts to ring, ring them and explain the situation. If they say your mum has to go to them, then just ask her as if she'll just go try for one session and that's it, if she's not happy she doesn't have to do it again. Just tell her it'll put you at ease but remember you always have to talk about this stuff when she's sober, that's when shell be most co operative and actually listen to you.
I remember when I was younger I used to pour all her alcohol away or hide it in another place, would have to take all her cards and money and shed be so angry, but then once the alcohol was out her system it was like having my mum back again and she listened and actually tried to get help, now it was a long battle a very long battle, but never give up with it, there's always something you can try do you've just got to be positive and I know it sounds stupid, how can you be positive in a situation like that? But it's all you can do and it's what will help you get through the hard time.
Cause if she does agree and she does begin to quit then it will get worse for a bit and there's a lot of fighting, but after the few months of pain then you'll finally have your mum back

I've poured it all away before, that didn't go down well. She actually got quite physical with me :/ I might try going to the doctors as her doctor knows her quite well, I'm just not the most outgoing person and am kind of scared.
My mum is completely alcoholic as well. She constantly drinks every night and always refuses to accept that she has a problem, such as when my sister brings up the issue she just says
I hope OP's mum is ok :frown:
Reply 11
I've grew up in an alcoholic home. I'm 25 and I'm JUST starting to look after myself. I begged and pleaded with my mother for years and got nowhere; if anything it made me poorly myself. Try and keep yourself safe - I wasted many years and my childhood being a carer to my own mother and not caring for myself. There's plenty of help out there for us who have alcohol dependent parents if anyone wants to privately message me for a chat that's fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending