Turn on thread page Beta

English / Modern Languages watch

ReputationRep:
    Aimed towards anyone studing English or Modern Lanuages at Oxbridge, what did you do for your A levels? This might sound a bit weird but I'm just wondering what are the average A levels that people on these courses have studied.

Thanks

B

ReputationRep:
    i did art, english & religious studies. and biology at a/s that i failed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I almost applied for this course, so tried to gear my A-Levels toward it: English, German, Latin, Maths and Economics, and then Further Maths and French to AS. I've since been told by my tutor that I really didn't need to do that many...

ReputationRep:
    I'll hopefully be studying Modern Languages in October and my A-levels are French, English lit, history and sociology. I'm also taking AEA French and self-taught GCSE Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    A2 - french, history, economics
    AS - Italian and Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing French, RS and Maths. Did History and Chinese at AS. Plus the all-important General Studies A level...

ReputationRep:
    i did english lit, history , govt. and politics, and latin at AS level, and am off to do english

ReputationRep:
    I am doing quite 'random' A-levels (I have no idea what I want to do with my life). English Lit, Philosophy, Geography and Media. I have used English Lit in Philosophy and vice versa, but none of the other subjects seem to have crossovers with others.

ReputationRep:
    English Literature, History, French and RS (Philosophy&Ethics)
    Took Maths (Mechanics) to AS. Quite miss the maths, but really this is the perfect combination, in my opinion hem hem. Told my interviewers that I gave maths up at A2 to allow more time for more reading, and that seemed to go down well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Aimed towards anyone studing English or Modern Lanuages at Oxbridge, what did you do for your A levels? This might sound a bit weird but I'm just wondering what are the average A levels that people on these courses have studied.

Thanks

B
    English OR Modern Languages? You know you will eventually have to pick one?

Clue: Do not pick English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gravastar)
    English OR Modern Languages? You know you will eventually have to pick one?

Clue: Do not pick English.
    Why? What's wrong with English.

I do realise I'll have to select one, I'm just considering my options at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    art, english & religious studies me as well :

ReputationRep:

I do realise I'll have to select one, I'm just considering my options at the moment.
    Mate if you pick modern languages you can basicaly make it into a literature degree (written in english) anyway if you want, presuming youre happy to only study the literature of france/spain/latin america/italy/germany etc etc as opposed to english. Actually, you can pick English modules as well as outside options if youre in cam or oxford. It has what is pretty much a bare minimum of of language work and grammar anyway. They expect you to pick most of that up in your year abroad.

ReputationRep:
    A levels permitting I will be doing Modern Languages in October.
    I do French, German, English Lit., Human Biology (just because I liked it at G.C.S.E.) at A2 and AS Critical Thinking.
    At interview my English Lit. knowledge was far more important than my linguistic competance as I was continually asked to analyse poetry.

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't have to choose between English and the Modern Language at any point. That is why the English and Modern Languages degree exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigjcoool)
    No, you don't have to choose between English and the Modern Language at any point. That is why the English and Modern Languages degree exists.
    That's what I was going to say. But this is only at Oxford...

ReputationRep:

Well, it's a personal choice obviously, but I'm not sure that I'd consider 3 years reading books the best use of my university fees.

Though Niccolo has gone overboard a bit with the whole "they don't teach you language" thing, you can in fact get a lot of literature done during a modern language course, plus you end up with a tangible skill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    Mate if you pick modern languages you can basicaly make it into a literature degree (written in english) anyway if you want, presuming youre happy to only study the literature of france/spain/latin america/italy/germany etc etc as opposed to english. Actually, you can pick English modules as well as outside options if youre in cam or oxford. It has what is pretty much a bare minimum of of language work and grammar anyway. They expect you to pick most of that up in your year abroad.
    That's really just Oxford, you can completely avoid literature in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy357)
    That's really just Oxford, you can completely avoid literature in Cambridge.
    They advise strongly against this though - and at interview they expect you to show an interest for it...(heh I should know after having mucked up my French interview because of my lack of literary knowledge)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucho22)
    They advise strongly against this though
    Why exactly?

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.