sofieke15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I originally,in my naiviety believed that a combined honours degree in say fine art and english literature would exist,or something in that breadth but it seems no universities offer it!?

If you can help me with any of the below queries I'd much appreciatte it....
Are there any combined honours programmes in an art(not history of art/classics) and english?(does not specifically have to be english lit,could be english or creative writing)
Do any art schools offer extra courses in writing possibly not degree level,but just something on the side?
Do any universities offer english degrees but have a good art background with art courses on offer?

I am someone who has strong potential in both areas,and doesn't want to choose.I want to be involved in artistic projects/be a practising artist/work with my creativity,however I'm also academic,love my literature course,and am interested in going into further writing,in particular journalism. do you have any idea what you would suggest for this??

Sorry for so much text,thank you for reading ^^
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sofieke15)
So I originally,in my naiviety believed that a combined honours degree in say fine art and english literature would exist,or something in that breadth but it seems no universities offer it!?

Are there any combined honours programmes in an art(not history of art/classics) and english?(does not specifically have to be english lit,could be english or creative writing)
Do any art schools offer extra courses in writing possibly not degree level,but just something on the side?
Do any universities offer english degrees but have a good art background with art courses on offer?

I am someone who has strong potential in both areas,and doesn't want to choose.I want to be involved in artistic projects/be a practising artist/work with my creativity,however I'm also academic,love my literature course,and am interested in going into further writing,in particular journalism. do you have any idea what you would suggest for this??

The only uni I can find for combined honours with art and english is at Aberystwyth: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/c...nd-art-degree/

Have you considered doing an art degree and then doing an open university module in english, or vice versa

Edit: Reading uni also seem to offer combined honours : http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/ug/ArtEnglishLitBA.aspx
RainReader
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aberystwyth, Canterbury Christ Church, Chester, UEL,Northampton, Reading and Worcester all do Fine Art and English.

Bath Spa has a Creative Writing and Art course.

I know because I have looked myself XD. Hope this helps!
sofieke15
Rep:
?
(Original post by smile:D)
The only uni I can find for combined honours with art and english is at Aberystwyth: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/c...nd-art-degree/

Have you considered doing an art degree and then doing an open university module in english, or vice versa

Edit: Reading uni also seem to offer combined honours : http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/ug/ArtEnglishLitBA.aspx
thanks,I'll check them out!
sofieke15
Rep:
?
(Original post by RainReader)
Aberystwyth, Canterbury Christ Church, Chester, UEL,Northampton, Reading and Worcester all do Fine Art and English.

Bath Spa has a Creative Writing and Art course.

I know because I have looked myself XD. Hope this helps!
How did you look those up? Because I tried ucas searching combined honours and I never found those... It seems quite hard to research,even some of the new websites it's hard to find info on combined courses.

Do you think it's worth going to an art school in London,doing an art degree...but keeping up writing on your own/do courses in London ect?
littlemissmidget123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i know someone studying english, creative writing and fine art and chichester - worth looking into that
sofieke15
Rep:
?
thank you very much
CRIKEY12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought of Keele. However they appear not to offer art at all!
RainReader
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How did you look those up? Because I tried ucas searching combined honours and I never found those... It seems quite hard to research,even some of the new websites it's hard to find info on combined courses.

Do you think it's worth going to an art school in London,doing an art degree...but keeping up writing on your own/do courses in London ect?
I think if you go on UCAS and search all art courses they come up.
They are quite difficult to find as there's no specific search, they are there though if you do a bit of sifting through the pages.

And it's hard to say whether it's worth it to do one thing more than another. Do what you enjoy, I think is the best advice.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bath Spa - fabulous small Uni in a great setting. Does really good 'arty' and humanities courses so you'd be surrounded by lots of folk with similar interests.
CRIKEY12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
www.whatuni.com may be of help?
arty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hi, as people below have rightly pointed out, there are a few places that offer both English and Fine Art as a joint degree such as Reading and Aberystwyth. However I'm not sure it's such a good idea to do a joint degree in these subjects! They are so different, you are sacrificing the quality of the course, you'll just end up with a mediocre degree. If you're interested in the practical arts then go to a proper art college (perhaps in London, UAL, Slade, Goldsmiths etc) or English then search for a suitable uni.

You sound like you're unsure what you really want to study, I think you need to choose! If you think you're interested in the arts then perhaps you should do an Art&Design Foundation diploma (which is a 1 year course and is free to those under 19) - which could give you a better idea of what you want to do. Or maybe a gap year with work experience if you still haven't decided. If you did English at uni you could always join an art club/society or even do an artists residency in another country! You don't need a degree in art to continue a hobby or even become an artist.

Having said that art degrees do include a fair amount of written work as well as practical (we got a lot of written projects - reviews, research, analysis) especially in the third year dissertations. You just don't get taught the writing! Although you do get History of Art lectures weekly. You have to be fairly literate and articulate to study art. Have you considered a Fine Art and History Of Art joint degree? Goldsmiths host a very reputable degree which is practical BA Fine Art & History Of Art split 50/50. If you think you want to pursue a career//degree as an artist though you will need to have completed a Foundation Diploma first.

I like you was unsure and did the foundation diploma (which you need to complete anyway before gaining admission to a respectable BA Fine Art course) and then decided art wasn't for me and I missed the academic side of learning. I don't regret the foundation though - it was a great experience. I am now reapplying for English/English & History of Art. I think History of Art and English are a closer combination, both studying history, literature, culture, philosophy etc.
Danny R
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by arty)
Hi, as people below have rightly pointed out, there are a few places that offer both English and Fine Art as a joint degree such as Reading and Aberystwyth. However I'm not sure it's such a good idea to do a joint degree in these subjects! They are so different, you are sacrificing the quality of the course, you'll just end up with a mediocre degree. If you're interested in the practical arts then go to a proper art college (perhaps in London, UAL, Slade, Goldsmiths etc) or English then search for a suitable uni.

You sound like you're unsure what you really want to study, I think you need to choose! If you think you're interested in the arts then perhaps you should do an Art&Design Foundation diploma (which is a 1 year course and is free to those under 19) - which could give you a better idea of what you want to do. Or maybe a gap year with work experience if you still haven't decided. If you did English at uni you could always join an art club/society or even do an artists residency in another country! You don't need a degree in art to continue a hobby or even become an artist.

Having said that art degrees do include a fair amount of written work as well as practical (we got a lot of written projects - reviews, research, analysis) especially in the third year dissertations. You just don't get taught the writing! Although you do get History of Art lectures weekly. You have to be fairly literate and articulate to study art. Have you considered a Fine Art and History Of Art joint degree? Goldsmiths host a very reputable degree which is practical BA Fine Art & History Of Art split 50/50. If you think you want to pursue a career//degree as an artist though you will need to have completed a Foundation Diploma first.

I like you was unsure and did the foundation diploma (which you need to complete anyway before gaining admission to a respectable BA Fine Art course) and then decided art wasn't for me and I missed the academic side of learning. I don't regret the foundation though - it was a great experience. I am now reapplying for English/English & History of Art. I think History of Art and English are a closer combination, both studying history, literature, culture, philosophy etc.

I think this is what i might want to do as well. I am currently doing a Foundation diploma in Art and Design but i feel i am more interested in literature and the culture and philosophy behind art. I really love photography and film too but i am unsure if this course goes much into that. Most of the foundation diploma is textiles, drawing and the like. None of which i am particularly great at. But i am hoping getting through this course can lead to something i might be more interested in. Problem is i don't know what exactly it can lead to or where. Could it lead to 'History of Art and English' or things like film studies?
arty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Danny R)
I think this is what i might want to do as well. I am currently doing a Foundation diploma in Art and Design but i feel i am more interested in literature and the culture and philosophy behind art. I really love photography and film too but i am unsure if this course goes much into that. Most of the foundation diploma is textiles, drawing and the like. None of which i am particularly great at. But i am hoping getting through this course can lead to something i might be more interested in. Problem is i don't know what exactly it can lead to or where. Could it lead to 'History of Art and English' or things like film studies?
I hoped that my interest would lead me into something too during the course - like design perhaps, something commercial! But it didn't. Unless I wanted to be a professional artist I couldn't really see myself getting a job with a Fine Art degree hence I ducked out of it!
buttermints
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Exeter has something called a flexible combined honours which may allow you to do them together.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
sofieke15
Rep:
?
(Original post by arty)

Thanks for this,I have worried about the actual quality of a mixed degree. I came to the decision to do a foundation course a while back,so you're suggestion of this just made my decision seem even stronger.
sazraz1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aberystwyth Uni - Fine Art & English Lit available
ArtingAbout
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in the same boat - I love both literature and art, so I'm doing an art foundation to get my head sorted! The problem is, when I'm confined to art, I lose the love of the academic learning of English and vise versa - I lose the joys' of art creativity. Throughout my life I have lead the path of an artist, but my unexpected grades (four As) have baffled me and I find I'm lost (I really wish I got Ds - It would be far easier for me to decide what to do in life). The problem is, stupidly, academic's seem to look down their nose at art, thus the two don't really seem to connect in higher education....

It's a predicament.
edmondDantes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

SUCH A PITY....as I now see the date on the message here. BUT LANCASTER UNI teaches Fine art and Creative writing joint honours.
hope you found that ???
jam-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This was posted in 2012 and I'm interested to see what has happened since then. What choices did you make and what are you doing in life now?

(I'm asking because I'm currently in the same situation that you were in years ago. I'm just curious as to what you chose).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads