The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raison d'etre
Despite knowing how old this thread is, I still wanted to contribute a few thoughts,I'm currently in the same position, I love both Art and English literature pretty equally, art history or creative writing doesn't appeal to me, I really want to study literature. Aberystwyth was the only seemingly reputable course that out right combined the two without actually sacrificing the core nessecities. You can do both, but you have to enjoy the place you study as well, and after visiting Aberystwyth, I didn't enjoy it, only because they are incredibly traditional. The degree itself is called 'fine art and english literature' and their version of fine art encourages alot of first hand research from their collections of original art work. The first year is also incredibly structured, and as someone interested in some very contemporary forms of art, such as illustration and animation, it didn't seem the right fit, despite how much I wanted it to work. I travelled nearly 9 hours to visit it and I'm glad I did, as on paper it looked great, in person.. not so much, but thats a personal opinion not a representation of the university itself.It's a shame that universities don't offer it hardly, and if they do, such as reading, it doesn't seem to be very reputable. I think you have to really think about a future job you would like to do, and which subject could take you there, and if you have no clue.. I have no idea really, but It helped to know that as much as I'd love studying literature, I can still read etc, I could still join clubs around the subject, but art I think would have a chance at taking me to a potential job I'd enjoy. Whereas literature takes you down the writing, management, editorial, journalism routes usually.Over all, I'm not sure if me rambling helps, but as someone who has checked this particular thread frequently this past year and found no answers, I kind of understand, its a personal choice and one that leaves you very few options if you decide you definitely cannot live without one of the subjects.I believe in the 'study what you enjoy most, don't let future careers cloud your judgement

I would always advise someone in your situation to take an Art Foundation Diploma at your local college/university before committing to a degree.

It’s a chance to study art at a higher level full time for a year. Some people find that helps them realise that an art/design degree isn’t for them - and others end up more confident in their choices.

Because it’s FE and not HE there’s no fees for most people (but also no maintenance loan either) and the course will normally include support with applying for any courses via ucas.
Thanks, I did a more detailed post just after you replied, and I agree an art foundation is definitely an option if in a doubtful situation. My college also offers this, however, I feel like I would be wasting a year, as it's very similar to the Art and Design A-Level I am doing already. Despite it giving me a chance to develop on skills and ponder further about my choices, I don't believe staying an extra year would be good for me, as I feel more than ready to move on and certainly don't want to lose motivation for further education in my year delaying it. Studying an art foundation at a university for me also isn't really an option, despite there being a low cost of around £500 for supplies in most cases, the expense of accomodation you have to supply yourself, atleast from what I've found in universities that I have considered for a foundation year.
Original post by PQ
I would always advise someone in your situation to take an Art Foundation Diploma at your local college/university before committing to a degree.

It’s a chance to study art at a higher level full time for a year. Some people find that helps them realise that an art/design degree isn’t for them - and others end up more confident in their choices.

Because it’s FE and not HE there’s no fees for most people (but also no maintenance loan either) and the course will normally include support with applying for any courses via ucas.
Hi Sofie,

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I know that several people have studied fine art BAs and then gone on to do the Creative Writing MA at UEA. Maybe worth considering as an option? I would also say that, were you to choose one, you could definitely keep up an active interest in the other. Especially if you're in a city that has both an art school and a university.

Hope that's somewhat helpful,

Gabriel, PG Rep
Original post by sofieke15
So I originally,in my naiviety believed that a combined honours degree in say fine art and english literature would exist,or something in that breadth but it seems no universities offer it!?

If you can help me with any of the below queries I'd much appreciatte it....
Are there any combined honours programmes in an art(not history of art/classics) and english?(does not specifically have to be english lit,could be english or creative writing)
Do any art schools offer extra courses in writing possibly not degree level,but just something on the side?
Do any universities offer english degrees but have a good art background with art courses on offer?

I am someone who has strong potential in both areas,and doesn't want to choose.I want to be involved in artistic projects/be a practising artist/work with my creativity,however I'm also academic,love my literature course,and am interested in going into further writing,in particular journalism. do you have any idea what you would suggest for this??

Sorry for so much text,thank you for reading ^^
Hello, I know this post is really old but same situation applies to me now xD I'm really unsure what to do, I love the academic site ( English mainly but also Philosophy ) but art is something I hold dear in my life as well.So now I'm left to doubt, what should I do? I would love to combine English and Art but what career to strive for afterwards? I'm interested in creating Illustrations for books or maybe even art therapy, I was even considering becoming a university teacher but I'm an Introvert and kinda nervous at the thought of being surrounded by many people looking at me.But I still want to have interactions with others so staying at home drawing seems lonely to me.Maybe I'm just too indecisive but has anyone got any ideas or could tell me what they ended up with?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 24
I’m in the same boat too.
I’ve applied for art and creative writing at Worcester, Lancaster, Bath spa, Reading and Aberystwyth but I’m not sure about any of them.
I’m worried about the quality of the degree and if it will even lead into a career but I also feel like if I do one over the other I’ll regret it.
I have thought about doing an art foundation course but that would mean having to stay at home and things are difficult at the moment.
It’s a really difficult decision and I wish there were more options for people wanting to do both art and English but I’m glad other people are having the same issue.
Reply 25
In a similar situation too!
I've applied for BA Fine Art at Central Saint Martins, University of Edinburgh, University of Leeds and University of Brighton and have received offers from all of them (except CSM who are notorious for taking a while to process their interview results).
However, last year before enrolling on a foundation I had applied for a joint honours in English Literature/Philosophy (my other two A-Level subjects) and received offers before ultimately declining them to take a foundation.

The year is drawing to a close and we have started FMP already! Despite this, I am having second thoughts on what I've applied to do. I was pushed to apply for Fine Art and I've applied to fairly academic art courses to try and scratch the itch I've got for academic studies, but even now I'm still doubtful. I expected the art foundation to help me make up my mind but it has just made me more confused than I was before.
Now, if I end up going to uni I feel like I won't be able to tell if I was doing Fine Art because I 100% want to or because it's the clearest path now that I have places at university. I'm worried taking a gap year to reapply for new subjects will put me even further behind my peers.
Original post by jam-
This was posted in 2012 and I'm interested to see what has happened since then. What choices did you make and what are you doing in life now?

(I'm asking because I'm currently in the same situation that you were in years ago. I'm just curious as to what you chose).

Hello!! Apologies for my (quite) late reply, but I am also in the same predicament, and have really empathised with this thread. I just don't know what to do! I love studying English, however I worry that I would lose a love for the learning since so much study at University is independent, where I feel I would do really well with art in that sense, I really believe that this would work as a degree combination, I feel that it actually would open up more job opportunities, for example, illustration, storyboard art, animation, and much more! I would love to know how you and others on this thread got on with deciding, as the UCAS deadline creeps ever-closer for me!
Original post by GeorgiaC0925
Hello!! Apologies for my (quite) late reply, but I am also in the same predicament, and have really empathised with this thread. I just don't know what to do! I love studying English, however I worry that I would lose a love for the learning since so much study at University is independent, where I feel I would do really well with art in that sense, I really believe that this would work as a degree combination, I feel that it actually would open up more job opportunities, for example, illustration, storyboard art, animation, and much more! I would love to know how you and others on this thread got on with deciding, as the UCAS deadline creeps ever-closer for me!

Hiya I struggled to decide last year too but I decided to take animation because it’s very useful if you want to go into this field. They are all slightly different but on my course I am learning several different skills such as 2D, 3D, sculpting, storyboarding, traditional and digital drawing skills, interviewing technique and narrative creation. I really enjoy the film studies part too as they are quite similar to English lessons. There is usually an English society as part of the university which is worth looking into to check if it’s open to art students so you can keep it for interest. Also I found this video quite reassuring showing how you can learn about university level literature yourself: https://youtu.be/a1Q2JwcT9UM
I hope it all goes well :smile:
Original post by jam-
This was posted in 2012 and I'm interested to see what has happened since then. What choices did you make and what are you doing in life now?

(I'm asking because I'm currently in the same situation that you were in years ago. I'm just curious as to what you chose).

Hi! I would love to ask where you have found yourself? I really wish there were more opportunities for art and english, they shouldn't appear so different :frown: (Especially when I've found much crazier combined degrees on ucas such as computer science and english!!)
Original post by GeorgiaC0925
Hi! I would love to ask where you have found yourself? I really wish there were more opportunities for art and english, they shouldn't appear so different :frown: (Especially when I've found much crazier combined degrees on ucas such as computer science and english!!)

This thread is 10 years old - please don't bump old threads!

That said, you may want to look at art history courses, which are sometimes offered jointly with fine art, or fine art courses with substantial art history components (I gather Edinburgh and the BA at Slade have a fair bit of art history content). History of art uses a lot of the same theoretical frame works as literary criticism and a lot of the works considered in history of art relate to literary works anyway.

Latest