Revision Watch

nuttymimi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
With regard to the dreaded task of revising for A2 music (im doing OCR btw) written exam, how do people intend to go about it...? I'm really unsure of where to start!
lufiaguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I started about a week ago, although I'm doing a different board (Edexcel). I've been making notes on the set works we're studying, and annotating my copies of the scores. The general listening paper is what I find the hardest, so I'm making some notes on the key features of each musical "era", and am listening to as much music as I can (don't know about other boards, but Edexcel like you to be really specific with composers and dates at A2). I think the grade 8 aural tests (ABRSM) help with the questions where you have to identify chords and modulations, so I'll try and get some practice at those. Just ordered this book which looks like it could help with dictation and other stuff: http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/096371/details.html

As for the harmony paper... we're doing a Bach chorale under exam conditions. I bought a cheap copy of the Riemenschneider from Amazon to study, and another book with general notes on harmonising chorales to read over. I guess the only other thing I can do is practice!
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That book....*shudders*

Don't ever want to see it again!
Pink*Guildhall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oooh, i love Riemenschneider! it's my baby - jokes!
but seriously, i've been told that Imogen Holst used to take hers to bed with her to read with her mug of cocoa before going to sleep!

i'm doing edexcel as well
lufiaguy - for the choral exam, yesterday, i condensed all my notes on bach chord progressions onto one side of manuscript - it's such a wonderful feeling to see it all in one place! but yes, i think practise is the only way. everybody has different ways of doing them, some at the piano, others not. but its really important to hear the outcome. sibelius is wonderful if you can't play the piano!
as for the anthology, i have notes throughout my scores and haven't really started revising properly yet, but will probably base my revision on a load of past paper questions adapted for the set works.
the book you ordered - aural matters - we used last year. it is a very good book. it has some useful info for help identifying music in terms of era, genre etc. rhinegold also do two aural books, but we're also used these at school, so i don't know what i can do in terms of revision except go over these and past papers again!
lufiaguy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pink*Guildhall - would you mind posting those chord progressions? Would be really appreciated! We've had some teaching problems over the last year and I'd feel much happier if I could double check the notes I've got with somebody else's.

In the near future I want to start playing through some of Bach's chorales on the piano, and maybe pencil in the chords/positions/modulations he's using. I think this will definitely help with learning his style. Other than that, you're right, practise is the only way!

We have the Rhinegold aural tests at school and go over them as a group... don't know about you but I'm finding the A2 tests pretty tricky!!

BTW, do you know where I can get hold of some past papers? I wish the Edexcel website would upload their papers like AQA does!!
Pink*Guildhall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
in reference to past papers, you could ask your teachers at school? that's the only way i would know of getting them. we were given them in booklets (as we are for all our subjects), and then our teachers suggest how they might be different.

if you're finding the A2 Rhinegold ones tricky, i think you certainly benefit from using Aural Matters a lot (there are answers in it!)

Bach often uses progressions and chord formations that I haven't been taught , of that go against the rules of what i've been taught! despite that, it can be useful to look through and see what he has done.

and i shall send you a PM about my notes.
lufiaguy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pink*Guildhall)
the book you ordered - aural matters - we used last year. it is a very good book. it has some useful info for help identifying music in terms of era, genre etc.
It just arrived... you're right. It looks like an excellent book - just what I've been looking for!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.08%
Leave (277)
20.92%

Watched Threads