The Student Room Group

What do employers actually look for?

So, I'm applying for jobs and I've applied to probably 10 jobs perhaps.. And been rejected by all 10.. Since uni is starting soon, I need some sort of income.

I want to know what exactly do employers look for? My friend got a job and McDonalds about 2 months ago, he has the same qualifications than me, same experience.. But he got the job. I applied there too, but I didn't.

Is it experience? If so, where do I volunteer to get that experience? Is it qualifications? Skills? To be frank, I believe I have good communication skills, can work in teams.. etc. I've had one professional work experience, which was for 2 weeks at Cancer Research UK in 2009.

Those of you who are 17-19 and have a job. HELP ME! :frown: :frown:
What was different between his application form and yours for McDonalds then? Perhaps you aren't very good at filling in application forms yet.
Reply 2
Original post by ProStacker
What was different between his application form and yours for McDonalds then? Perhaps you aren't very good at filling in application forms yet.

I asked him what he wrote for each one.. Especially the 'What would you do in certain circumstances' questions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Danyal_A
So, I'm applying for jobs and I've applied to probably 10 jobs perhaps.. And been rejected by all 10.. Since uni is starting soon, I need some sort of income.

I want to know what exactly do employers look for? My friend got a job and McDonalds about 2 months ago, he has the same qualifications than me, same experience.. But he got the job. I applied there too, but I didn't.

Is it experience? If so, where do I volunteer to get that experience? Is it qualifications? Skills? To be frank, I believe I have good communication skills, can work in teams.. etc. I've had one professional work experience, which was for 2 weeks at Cancer Research UK in 2009.

Don't beat yourself up about it, in the past I've applied for hundreds of jobs and not even heard back from most of them!
Maybe your friend had certain experience that was relevant (catering certificate etc), or maybe you were over qualified? I know a few people who were basically too good for the job.
If worse comes to worse job seekers allowance is an option, but probably not one I'd recommend..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by NaiOhMee
Don't beat yourself up about it, in the past I've applied for hundreds of jobs and not even heard back from most of them!
Maybe your friend had certain experience that was relevant (catering certificate etc), or maybe you were over qualified? I know a few people who were basically too good for the job.
If worse comes to worse job seekers allowance is an option, but probably not one I'd recommend..

I don't think you're eligible if you are a full time student.

I could be wrong though.
Original post by Danyal_A

Don't worry I know how annoying it is! The amount of rejections and no responses!

I'd say it depends on the employer, some employers look for experience, others personality and others looks.

I'd recommend volunteering at a charity shop, I believe this helped me get a job! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by dean01234
I don't think you're eligible if you are a full time student.

I could be wrong though.

Ooh I meant before going to Uni. Naa I'm pretty sure JSA is only available for those unemployed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending