Is AQA easier than OCR - Let's end the debate Watch

A-Dog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I know that Universities are not allowed to discriminate applications based on which Exam boards they used for their A levels.

However, is it true that OCR A levels have more stretch and challenge, and therefore harder/ more stimulating, than AQA? Or is it the other way round.

Also, if someone was to get an A in AQA A level English, would they also get an A if they sat the OCR A level. Or vice versa?

Thankyou for your help
KittenInfusion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well a person who just sat an exam, say in English but probably most other subjects (apart from maybe say maths) , for one of those boards wouldn't necessarily get a similar grade if they sat the exam for another board because different boards cover different topics..and obviously in English different texts are studied so you probably wouldn't be able to get by without having looked at the texts in detail...
raveen789
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's all pick and mix to be honest. My school liked OCR Religious studies more than AQA and we all did well in it. Similarly my school proffered AQA sciences over OCR. But id say that OCR sciences are supposed to be harder. Not nearly as many people did well in OCR B Physics compared to AQA Biology and Chemistry in my school. But again the physics department at our school is not the best. So it depends really, OCR does have harder subjects but again i think AQA does too.
Jack93o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
all I know is if you want to do A-level maths, EDEXCEL is the way to go
Optical
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found Ocr A-level Maths really difficult.
kingjulien
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Optical)
I found Ocr A-level Maths really difficult.
what was specifically difficult about OCR?

or would you say it was just ocr maths in general?
Saliency
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does it really matter? There was no debate in the first place.
flyylikejetz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think OCR has easier set out of questioning but higher grade boundaries probably due to the 'easier set out of questionning'
AQA usually has trickier questions and is more inconsistent between exams

But i think it depends on the subject.
I know edexcel and maths is good
AQA and biology
username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GCSE English is harder to push the A* boundary in OCR than AQA
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How difficult is A Level Physics on OCR and on AQA?

Which exam board is more harder, difficult & An Nightmare?
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think OCR at GCSE.
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jack93o)
all I know is if you want to do A-level maths, EDEXCEL is the way to go
haha is it easy?
Oromis263
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
How difficult is A Level Physics on OCR and on AQA?

Which exam board is more harder, difficult & An Nightmare?
This is a difficult one to answer, as most people tend to not sit both. People who sit their own will (often) invariably try to argue that their's is the hardest, to give an excuse, perhaps, but just because it's all they have experience of. I sat OCR B - Advancing Physics, and didn't find it overly challenging. AQA coursework, however, looked a nightmare in comparison to mine.
a10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OCR Maths, OCR Chemistry and OCR Biology are very very difficult compared to other exam boards my college uses OCR for those subjects because of the difficulty(its hard haha). Especially this month we were warned that the exam board is making sure they mark exam papers harshly so emphasis has been put on really revising the content. As for Physics i do Edexcel and its pretty hard...
Amz1217
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OCR Biology ain't a joke!!!
Jack93o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a10)
haha is it easy?
I think most maths students are with that exam board, theres enough material in their official textbook for you to prepare, and it seemed quite straight forward to me. But I haven't been with other exam boards for maths, so I can't compare.
a10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jack93o)
I think most maths students are with that exam board, theres enough material in their official textbook for you to prepare, and it seemed quite straight forward to me. But I haven't been with other exam boards for maths, so I can't compare.
I do OCR maths and its challenging in some aspects, i would say the A2 is hard...the AS is mainly continuation from gcse just a little bit harder but its not that hard as long as you prepare well
Negaduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My exam board was CCEA, so i'm clueless.
> Fat Bastard <
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Let's end the debate by starting a debate? Couldn't resist.
ergo30
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm studying ed excel maths, OCR biology,physics and chemistry and WJEC English so quite a mix for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (27)
62.79%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
2.33%
No- I want it (12)
27.91%
No- I don't want it (3)