The Student Room Group

TSR Computer Science Society

Scroll to see replies

Why is this so dead? :frown:
Original post by Juichiro
Why is this so dead? :frown:

Let's bring it to life.
Am expecting to become active on this soon. Dunno how y'all feel about bringing this back to life? :h:
Original post by Iridann
Am expecting to become active on this soon. Dunno how y'all feel about bringing this back to life? :h:

I for one would be very pleased if this becomes more active.
Original post by ukdragon37

Me too, after exams ... where Ill be too depressed to do anything other than code...
Original post by Jooooshy
What's everybody's favourite model of concurrency/favourite language to write concurrent programs in?

Not familiar with any models of concurrency yet, but in terms of languages, Go(lang) has been an absolute pleasure in dealing with concurrency the right way. It's generally a brilliant language, and I'm switching over to it from Node for what I use for my backends.
I'd also be happy to join in resuscitating this.
So I've started to learn some Java over the summer, using this list of projects as a way of learning the language: https://github.com/karan/Projects

What would people recommend for resources to help with syntax?
hi does anyone know of good books for reading about algorithms and computer science before uni

thanks
Original post by bigmansouf
hi does anyone know of good books for reading about algorithms and computer science before uni

For algorithms, check out CLRS (Google it if you don't know what I mean). 'And computer science' is too broad to answer.
Original post by Iridann
So I've started to learn some Java over the summer, using this list of projects as a way of learning the language: https://github.com/karan/Projects

What would people recommend for resources to help with syntax?

Try Java Precisely. The rest is down to practise :smile:
Original post by Iridann

Original post by ukdragon37

Original post by AwesomeSauce#1
Me too, after exams ... where Ill be too depressed to do anything other than code...

Original post by UpInTheMorning
I'd also be happy to join in resuscitating this.

Good. :smile:
Original post by Jooooshy
For algorithms, check out CLRS (Google it if you don't know what I mean). 'And computer science' is too broad to answer.

thanks
Hi guys im learning java online from edx course introduction to java programming and the instructor talked about
state space representation being used in order to help solve complex problems

Please can someone tell me about any notes on state space representation or problem representation in computer science

i have tried google and cant find anything

thank you for any help
Also, is there a way to find out the number of languages that java can be programmed in

I found out throughout the online tutorials that java was created with internationalization in mind thus, it can be programmed in Chinese. i wanted to know if it is programmed in another African language

thank you
who is using edx intro to java to learn more about java
Also, is there a way to find out the number of languages that java can be programmed in

I found out throughout the online tutorials that java was created with internationalization in mind thus, it can be programmed in Chinese. i wanted to know if it is programmed in another African language

thank you

lol Java IS a language. The keywords are based on English terms but they are not English as we understand it. You don't program Java, you program USING Java.

thank you

I'm not sure that refers to Java being programmable in different languages, Java is a language in itself. What it probably refers to is to be able to create your applications to have more than one Locale, have a look at the Java SE Internationalization docs for more info.
hello again please help me to understand;
why is it in line 12 celsius is not in quotation marks?

the question is about this pictureweek_2_act_debug.png
hello again please help me to understand;
why is it in line 12 celsius is not in quotation marks?

the question is about this pictureweek_2_act_debug.png

Because when you enclose text within quotes it's considered a string literal, where the compiler uses the exact text put in quotes. So your first celsius on line 12 is not a string literal and is referring to the value of the double called celsius (which you initialised on line 8), while the second one is just representing the exact text "celsius". Hope that helps.

Quick Reply