The Student Room Group

Sergio Busquets, What do you think of him?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
He's an important asset to the team
I think he's a good footballer and a cheat at the same time. Goes down like he's been shot by a .50 cal bullet. Actually, every Spanish league game has that cheeky diver
Probably the best player in the world at his role, an excellent passer and one of the most intelligent players around. Criminally underrated by those that can't separate his theatrics from what he does on the pitch. I don't know what else he needs to do after having consistently great performances, including, most notably, in the 2011 Champions League final and the 2010 World Cup final.

I don't think he's underrated as a defensive midfielder because of his theatrics, actually. I think it plays a part, but people seem to think that all DMs need to be the 'destroyer' role like Gattuso or Mascherano or something. Busquets does his role well without needing to chase every loose ball like a madman.
Reply 63
Funny how its most of the people who regularly post on here that rate Busquets while its the people with about 50 posts that just say hes a dick. Think its pretty clear to see who can distinguish between behavior and actual ability.
Reply 64
Original post by Stu Laverty
Probably the best player in the world at his role, an excellent passer and one of the most intelligent players around. Criminally underrated by those that can't separate his theatrics from what he does on the pitch. I don't know what else he needs to do after having consistently great performances, including, most notably, in the 2011 Champions League final and the 2010 World Cup final.

I don't think he's underrated as a defensive midfielder because of his theatrics, actually. I think it plays a part, but people seem to think that all DMs need to be the 'destroyer' role like Gattuso or Mascherano or something. Busquets does his role well without needing to chase every loose ball like a madman.

This +1
Original post by VQG

I've heard a lot about Rafael Alcantara though, isn't he more of an attacking midfielder? He was apparently quite productive in terms of assists and goals for Barcelona B?

Yeah I think he plays a more advanced role. I actually thought his older brother (Thiago Alacantra) was a better player and also more suited to playing a similar role to Xavi. Think he's broken into the first team squad this season.
Reply 66
A decent footballer but a bad actor :wink:
Busquets is the best defensive midfielder in the world for me. He can do everything a conventional DM can do and then on top be able to pass in high pressure situations as well as being able to dictate the tempo of the game.
Reply 68
Original post by Stu Laverty

All of the posts that are like this, I agree with. Your last paragraph in particular is bang on. I think people underrate him because he makes everything look so incredibly simple due to his intelligence and understanding of the game.
Reply 69
Nice to see some actual points being made by people about him.
Probably the most composed player on the ball I've ever seen. Very good awareness too. Obviously his theatrics let him down though, he really doesn't need to do that.
Overrated, excellent passer of the ball but as a defensive midfielder, nothing spectacular. Song and Mascherano are vastly superior
He's a great player and passer of the ball, and complements Barca well in his position.

But just because he's a great player doesn't mean he isn't a prick with his theatrics. I see him as both, honestly put. (Same with Ronaldo, unbelievable player, but peeved with unnecessary theatrics)

Reply 73
Original post by villageorge
He's a great player and passer of the ball, and complements Barca well in his position.

But just because he's a great player doesn't mean he isn't a prick with his theatrics. I see him as both, honestly put. (Same with Ronaldo, unbelievable player, but peeved with unnecessary theatrics)

Hey no ones claimed hes not a prick i know hes a massive dick but the point was is he underrated and dismissed because he acts like a prick?
Original post by johnharris19944
Hey no ones claimed hes not a prick i know hes a massive dick but the point was is he underrated and dismissed because he acts like a prick?

I don't think it makes him underrated, but it does overshadow his ability as a footballer. But that's what I think anyways..
Massively underrated. Again, not talking about theatrics and stuff. But tactically, he's as good as it gets.
Reply 76
Bustquets is brilliant.. first player on spain's and barca's team sheet.. Don't like his antics on the pitch sometimes though
Reply 77
Right I can see he must be a decent player as otherwise he wouldn't play for Spain and barca
However (even though I see how he keeps up the tempo with quick passing to xavi and co
And he's good at moving the ball on from the back to front accurately) he never makes a clean tackle seriously he just commits fouls and makes the odd interception the full backs do all the tackling so he can't be regarded as a top DMF when he has such a hole in his overall play

yaya is better don't just call someone a troll for there opinion (Busquests would do **** all in a struggling team)
Xabi alonso is also better (Busquests couldn't hold Liverpool together like Xabi did)
Reply 78
Original post by g.k
Bustquets is brilliant.. first player on spain's and barca's team sheet.. Don't like his antics on the pitch sometimes though

Oh Ye forgot he was better than Messi
And casillas

LOL
Original post by That Bearded Man
Overrated, excellent passer of the ball but as a defensive midfielder, nothing spectacular. Song and Mascherano are vastly superior

I find Busquets a much better defensive midfielder. Song is a very good player, but at Arsenal at least he showed very poor tactical discipline/intelligence, would constantly leave his marker, drive forward when it was unnecessary and make poor decisions off the ball. His defensive positioning and reading of the game was just no where near as good as Busquet's. His only real advantage to Busquets defensively is his physicality.

Quick Reply

Latest