The Student Room Group

moving from northern ireland to england for uni?

The course I want to do is only available in universities in England, so I kinda have to move. The idea of this whole new experience is so exciting, but a the same time daunting.. how the hell do I get all my stuff over? what if i hate it? what if i dont make any friends?!

any one have any experience/knowledge/opinions on the transition?
Not really uni but i moved to boarding school on a new continent. Bringing stuff over is easy. Mostly you'll be bringing clothes/personal items so you could have it as luggage on a plane or ship it over. These questuons aren't specific to moving countries for uni, it's uni in general. Uni's are huge, you'll make friends with someone - most people are in the same boat.
Original post by sasc7
The course I want to do is only available in universities in England, so I kinda have to move. The idea of this whole new experience is so exciting, but a the same time daunting.. how the hell do I get all my stuff over? what if i hate it? what if i dont make any friends?!

Best way to move stuff over is probably to load the car and catch a ferry. If you hate it, not much you can do except quit and reapply for something different? You will make friends, I have no doubt about that. If it's really the course you want to do, you'll regret not applying more than any of your above worries.
Reply 3
I'm making the move in a week. There's a company that moves stuff from NI to England for you that I saw in the paper (http://www.unibaggage.com/ - it's £20 for a 30kg bag) but it was too late for me as I had already booked the plane tickets + baggage. I'm going over with my mum and we're both taking one hold bag and one piece of hand luggage. If you're going somewhere that is somewhat close to a ferry port then take a car but as i'm going to Brighton, it's pretty awkward.

I doubt you'll hate but if you do you can still call family/ friends back home regularly and visit in the holidays. You'll gain a lot of independence too as I know people at Queen's who come home to get laundry done and have meals for the week cooked for them and put in freezer bags. IT's highly unlikely you won't make friends. There are so many people at University that you are bound to find people with similar interests.
I did the same thing Belfast - Liverpool. My mum came over with the car on the ferry and we filled it with my stuff. It also gave her a chance to say goodbye and make sure I was sorted with food etc.
Flights can be cheap in advance so book a few weekend trips home :smile:
Inbetween years I put my stuff in storage and just took home a suitcase for the summer.

Everyone makes friends at uni! You really shouldn't worry about that :smile:
Reply 5
thanks :smile: going to the open day for leeds met at the end of october so hopefully it will all seem a little less daunting haha :smile:
Reply 6
Im hoping to move to either London or Aberdeen in sept. Im soo scared. :frown: Im such a home bird. :frown:
Reply 7
I'm thinking of going to London. It's so daunting but it's going to be a once in a lifetime experience so we might as well do something different!! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by sasc7

Do you have an irish accent then? If so expect a lot of people to want to be your friend! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Dpdr
Do you have an irish accent then? If so expect a lot of people to want to be your friend! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahaha yeah, i went to the open day in Leeds and stayed for a few days and everyone just loved my accent which I found a little strange as I think it's horrible!
Reply 10
The transition isn't bad at all. All you have to do is just do your thing, and everything else will take care of itself.

I know because I moved over from NI to England for uni myself.

Quick Reply

Latest