What would happen if bird flu became a real risk... Watch

Cloud_Strife
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
If we became vunerable to the disease, what would happen?
Would we all have to stay in our houses with the windows closed, and wear face masks.
Evangeline
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Probably.

I read an article about what would happen. If the virus mutates into a form that can spread quickly between humans and had a high fatality rate, schools and things like that would probably be closed. People would be discouraged from going outside, and we would most likely have to wear face masks.

People in crowded cities like London would probably be kind of screwed. On the other hand, rural areas have more birds.
Cloud_Strife
Rep:
?
Ah man, iwant to go to uni this year, ffs.
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is everyone panicking about it?

I saw that thing on the dead swan in Scotland having the strain of virus, but I'm still not worried. Maybe I should be, but I see no reason to panic. If it happens then we'll all have to deal with it as best we can.

Edit: Wondering if people get a warning before 'quarentine' situation... I need to shop for supplies.
Cloud_Strife
Rep:
?
Im not worrying at the minute, not as much as i would be, just take it how it comes i guess.
donkey144
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
humans have survived the plague and everything... so we can survive this!!

anyway, its infectioness is low, as it lives in the lower oesophagus, so unless it really mutates, the death toll shouldn't get to high! plus the governments got vaccines on standby, although if they bother giving them to us middle-lower class citizens is another issue...! lol
sophisti_kate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As in the wonderful words of Corporal Jones - DON'T PANIC!
chaoringmeister
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The chances are that if it does mutate, it will also become less potent.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by donkey144)
humans have survived the plague and everything... so we can survive this!!

anyway, its infectioness is low, as it lives in the lower oesophagus, so unless it really mutates, the death toll shouldn't get to high! plus the governments got vaccines on standby, although if they bother giving them to us middle-lower class citizens is another issue...! lol
Unfortunately the vaccines go to primary healthcare workers, government ministers, the royal family and important people at risk from catching it like teachers.
beecher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Unfortunately the vaccines go to primary healthcare workers, government ministers, the royal family and important people at risk from catching it like teachers.
But the vaccine doesn't even work
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cloud_Strife)
If we became vunerable to the disease, what would happen?
Would we all have to stay in our houses with the windows closed, and wear face masks.

The simple fact is that no one knows. The ordinary flu strains that go about kill thousands in Britain every year; this particular strain of bird flu though has the potential to be extremely pathogenic in humans, as pathogenic in fact as the flu strain that caused the 1918-1919 pandemic, which killed about fifty million people worldwide (although it should be remembered that there were other complicating factors then: the war, for instance, and the incidence of tuberculosis).

The government has in place a lot of contingency plans of varying intensity. The worst case scenario is that public meetings would be banned, schools closed, quarantines imposed, martial law imposed, and so on. There are even plans in place to bury people in mass graves if necessary. But this is the worst case scenario; the virus may never become transmissible in humans, if it does become transmissible, it may not be that pathogenic; if it is pathogenic, it might be contained; if it isn't contained, we might be able to protect the right people with Tamiflu; and so on. There are an awful lot of ifs, and it's very far from becoming a reality. Yes if it were a pandemic it wouldn't be pleasant, but there's no reason at this stage to think that it will become a pandemic, and no reason to worry about it.
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good think I'm currently training to be a teacher then. I knew there were benefits from doing this job....lol
lskdgjsj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by p00p)
But the vaccine doesn't even work

Strictly speaking there is no vaccine; it would take about six months to develop one once the strain had emerged. We have antiviral drugs like Tamiflu instead, which will take a few days off the flu, and possibly prevent the development of pneumonia or respiratory collapse.
lskdgjsj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Healthcare workers and the government yes, but I don't think teachers are prioritized. They're in the second wave of possible vaccinations. Everyone else is in either the third or fourth wave of vaccination, depending on their job, age, health, &c.

Edit: The contingency plan if you're interested: http://www.dh.gov.uk/PublicationsAnd...735&chk=Z6kjQY.
Gio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by svidrigailov)
Strictly speaking there is no vaccine; it would take about six months to develop one once the strain had emerged. We have antiviral drugs like Tamiflu instead, which will take a few days off the flu, and possibly prevent the development of pneumonia or respiratory collapse.
apparently there was a few cases where Tamiflu didn't work on patients who caught the bird flu in asia
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by svidrigailov)
Healthcare workers and the government yes, but I don't think teachers are prioritized. They're in the second wave of possible vaccinations. Everyone else is in either the third or fourth wave of vaccination, depending on their job, age, health, &c.

Edit: The contingency plan if you're interested: http://www.dh.gov.uk/PublicationsAnd...735&chk=Z6kjQY.
why do they always have to be pdf files? :mad:

*refuses to download adobe*
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Doing things such as barring all your windows wouldn't be much good (unless you expect birds to fly in). According to a medical expert on BBC news this morning, you have to be in close proximity to catch the virus - practically touching distance.
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This poor little guy didn't stand a chance

http://www.gutshot.com/images/featurepics/birdflu.jpg
donkey144
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
but if it mutates in south africa like they're saying... it may become just6 like another airborne disease...
yorkshirelass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm a bit worried, but mostly about my cats, because they like to hunt birds and a sick, infected one would make for an easy killing. Other than that, I think it'll be some time before we can even tell what kind of damage this could do to the country, so there's no point worrying just yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads