The Student Room Group

I'm too shy to dance in clubs? How to let go?

Scroll to see replies

i cant dance properly either, and i cant dance when im sober, but after a few drinks...:wink:
Reply 41
Make sure you're drunk, and then copy your friends for a while until you get a feel for it. Lots of people can't dance, the important thing is to have fun.
Reply 42
Remember that no one worth caring about will give a ****. Your friends may laugh a bit but I bet they're no better at dancing :smile: you'll be one of a big crowd of which most will never see you. Just enjoy the music :smile:
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist
Haha I love your style... You sound smooooth :wink:

I don't appreciate the sarcasm :frown: Reading back I don't sound too cool in that post but it makes a lot more sense in person.
Original post by hassi94
I don't appreciate the sarcasm :frown: Reading back I don't sound too cool in that post but it makes a lot more sense in person.

I swear to you it wasn't sarcasm I genuinely just smiled when I read it and thought it did sound quite smooth!
Pinky promise!! :smile:
I swear to you it wasn't sarcasm I genuinely just smiled when I read it and thought it did sound quite smooth!
Pinky promise!! :smile:

Haha okay then I'll trust you, maybe one day you'll get to check out my moves :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by IndianDancer
Ok so I'm not the shyest person in the world (I used to be when I was younger) but dancing scares me. I don't know how to dance and I'm too scared to even dance in front of my friends. I think I'm just worried about how I'm gonna look and also I don't think people expect me to dance, I think they see me as quite reserved which I am at first I suppose so that makes me even more rigid. Other people don't seem to worry about these things at all, they can just let go so easily.

How do I get to that place? How can I learn to let go? I don't want to be a buzz kill lol And btw I don't even know how to dance.

Thanks!

I think I remember you, well one of your threads, how is your friend doing (the one you asked us to rate)?
Nobody cares, honestly. Next time you're in a club look around, nobody can dance! Its going to look far worse if you're just standing their awkwardly clearly not enjoying yourself. As long as you don't dance like Boris you'll be fine...

Original post by sr90
Nobody cares, honestly. Next time you're in a club look around, nobody can dance! Its going to look far worse if you're just standing their awkwardly clearly not enjoying yourself. As long as you don't dance like Boris you'll be fine...

He stole my moves! :tongue:
As many people have said before, alcohol
Original post by FreeHat
Get drunk; nobody goes to clubs to dance, they go to pull/be pulled. Dancing/enjoying the music/going out with friends is used as a pretext.

despite the negs you got, ill have to agree with some of what your saying.

I never liked dancing but when my cousins and I had shots and alcohol, i was dancing because i enjoyed myself.

@OP , Drink takes all the pressure away brah.
I was exactly like you but at prom when i had to dance it turn out that no one really notices or cares about your dancing but just having a good time. The chances are that there are many (like me) who can't dance but do it anyway so don't feel like an idiot. After being pushed to dance by confidence grew and now i enjoy going to parties and weddings even more. Seriously no one gives a monkeys about if you can/can't dance as most people can't but still enjoy them selves!!. I know how you feel.
Reply 52
I think what I'm scared about is my friends' reaction. They'll just tease me and go "oooww look at her, go *****" etc..which is just for fun but I don't know how to handle that? I think I feel like they are laughing at me?

That's another thing I need to fix. I get butt hurt over every little thing. How do I stop doing that?

Yeah I wouldn't like that either. It draws more attention to the thing you've just plucked up the courage to do, but I know I'd rather just get on with it.
Reply 53
as the famous saying goes, to be happy in life you should:
[h="1"]Dance as though no one is watching you.
Love as though you have never been hurt before.
Sing as though no one can hear you.
Live as though heaven is on earth.
[/h]
there are loads of tips on youtube for dance moves you can practice and maybe try them next time you go out once you feel a bit confident practicing infront of music videos at home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCGzRX00O2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5V9ZIZ6_U0&feature=fvwrel

etc etc etc.....there are so many, and you might not feel confident trying them publicly to begin with but just do them a bit more subtle and less exaggerated to start off with, and if you are good, your friends are more likely to be impressed than to laugh at you

another thing you can do is go to a salsacise exercise class, then you can say you are going for the exercise, but you are obviously going to pick up some good moves whilst you are there, and you will get used to dancing in front of people who wont be laughing at you, and i am sure you will soon improve in confidence and have fun too, then soon you will feel better about showing your friends how you dance and they will prob be really impressed

also this might make you laugh, although i dont recommend you copy him: the evolution of dance by julian laipply:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg

from reading some of your other posts i think you just need to grow in inner confidence in your own self and this will come from being brave and trying lots of new things, doing a few things that scare you now and again as you learn a lot from this, and trying hard not to worry about what people think too much, just try and learn how to be your authentic self, be genuine and try to smile as much as you can by doing what makes you happy inside
Ok so I'm not the shyest person in the world (I used to be when I was younger) but dancing scares me. I don't know how to dance and I'm too scared to even dance in front of my friends. I think I'm just worried about how I'm gonna look and also I don't think people expect me to dance, I think they see me as quite reserved which I am at first I suppose so that makes me even more rigid. Other people don't seem to worry about these things at all, they can just let go so easily.

How do I get to that place? How can I learn to let go? I don't want to be a buzz kill lol And btw I don't even know how to dance.

Thanks!

just jump around or follow what your friends are doing.
no one will notice if you look uncomfortable anyway, just tell yourself your going to let go and have fun.
the first time will be awkward but then youll get used to it and may actually have fun.

i was like you before my prom, and i just told myself to get on with it.
I just followed what everyone else was doing, which wasnt really dancing more of just jumping.
i actually had a lot of fun and can honestly say i enjoy dancing now.

Trust me, once you have a go at it it wont seem so bad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Drink helps loosen up your inhibitions for dancing, but it shouldn't be the foundation of your skill.

Dancing, like many things you might be nervous about (e.g. public speaking), only takes a bit of confidence and general practice to get right.

Just look up dance videos on the net, gyrate your hips in the privacy of your room, step from side-to-side, flex your arms, bob your head to the beat. Sooner or later, you'll become comfortable with your rhythmic movements. Just don't do anything too risky in public (e.g. break dancing) if you haven't trained and practiced it before.

Forget what your detractors think - dancing confidently is a far more attractive trait than standing and sniggering at people.
Original post by hassi94
Haha okay then I'll trust you, maybe one day you'll get to check out my moves :wink: :biggrin:

Yes I shall look out for you in position/welly/spiders/sugar mill or where ever else it is you shake your moves :wink:
Reply 57
Show me da migraine skank. I said SHOW MEEEEE.
Reply 58
Get drunk :biggrin:
Yes I shall look out for you in position/welly/spiders/sugar mill or where ever else it is you shake your moves :wink:

Now I'm scared. Did you just Google clubs near my location or do you live nearby? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending