Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do

Basically, what I'm thinking at the moment is whether or not its worth me buying a car, or if I should even be learning to drive at all. I've had 20ish lessons, and my instructor says if I put a little more effort in then I could do my test soonish. BUT, I don't have my own car, and I'm not insured on my parents, so I'm finding myself holding back from really making an effort in my lessons, cos in a way I don't actually want to pass cos it means I'll have to stop driving. Which is quite ironic no?

I could save up for a car, but I'm going to uni in September and it might not be worth it, and I don't really think I would be able to anyway. Would I need a car at uni (Exeter, if that makes any difference)? Or should I get my test over with now and wait a year or 3 to buy a car?? All this money seems like such a waste if I don't actually get to enjoy the end result (driving!)

Help

(Apologies for length and lack of sense I'm feeling a bit under the weather and confused)

ReputationRep:
    You shold pass your test ASAP instead of wasting money taking lessons when you dont even want to progress. The longer you have your liscence, the less your insurance will cost, thus saving you money in the long term. It amkes no sense to just continue taking lessons when you dont want to pass, wasting either your or your parents hard earned money.

ReputationRep:
    Pass your test, then think about what to to afterwards

ReputationRep:
    lol, sounds simple like that. ah well, ignore me I think I'm thinking about stuff too much.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is pretty small so you could probably get by without a car - still nice to have one though so you dont have to rely on public transport etc

ReputationRep:
    Take your test before uni, if you're ready for it.

If you don't drive for the next 3 years, you can still have a couple of refresher lessons when you want to start driving again - driving schools/instructors are usually more than happy to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leona)
    How do

Basically, what I'm thinking at the moment is whether or not its worth me buying a car, or if I should even be learning to drive at all. I've had 20ish lessons, and my instructor says if I put a little more effort in then I could do my test soonish. BUT, I don't have my own car, and I'm not insured on my parents, so I'm finding myself holding back from really making an effort in my lessons, cos in a way I don't actually want to pass cos it means I'll have to stop driving. Which is quite ironic no?

I could save up for a car, but I'm going to uni in September and it might not be worth it, and I don't really think I would be able to anyway. Would I need a car at uni (Exeter, if that makes any difference)? Or should I get my test over with now and wait a year or 3 to buy a car?? All this money seems like such a waste if I don't actually get to enjoy the end result (driving!)

Help

(Apologies for length and lack of sense I'm feeling a bit under the weather and confused)
    test over with now despite whether u can get a car or not. its impractical getting a car now cos u wud have to get 6months min road tax and 6 months minimum insurance or maybe its 10 months?! and if ur not allowed to use it/leave it at uni, it wud be a waste of money. but definitely get the test out of the wayu before uni because u wont have much time for lessons in holidays whilst ur a uni student, and it'd therefore be at least 3 yrs before having enough time. and even then u wud be quite a bit older wud u still wana be a learner?! lol food for thought x

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.