Turn on thread page Beta

should i start now?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK so I've had the form to get my provisional license for nearly a year now (say nothing!) and am almost there, I just need to pay for it. Anyway, I'm not sure I actually want to drive. I'd have to pass in the next 5months as I'm going away to uni, and even if I pass I won't be able to afford a car. But then my dad is really pressuring me to sart driving soon. I don't know what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    OK so I've had the form to get my provisional license for nearly a year now (say nothing!) and am almost there, I just need to pay for it. Anyway, I'm not sure I actually want to drive. I'd have to pass in the next 5months as I'm going away to uni, and even if I pass I won't be able to afford a car. But then my dad is really pressuring me to sart driving soon. I don't know what to do!
    Get the provisional - you will want to learn one day! Aside from that, its a good form of ID!

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1010)
    Get the provisional - you will want to learn one day! Aside from that, its a good form of ID!

Mark
    lol I'll get the provisional then just for ID

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to be retarded to take longer than 5 months to pass, to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    why?

ReputationRep:
    Be warned-the provisional does expire after a time and you'll have to get a new one.

I'm in the same position.....I'm going away to uni in September,started my driving lessons and HAVE to pass before I go away basically....I kind of have a car in that my mum will add me to her insurance(although she has a huge people carrier so that's going to cost a bomb)...but I'm really failing to see the point in my learning atm.

My mum is making me,lol.

I'd say do it though,you might as well get it out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrychocolate)
    Be warned-the provisional does expire after a time and you'll have to get a new one.

I'm in the same position.....I'm going away to uni in September,started my driving lessons and HAVE to pass before I go away basically....I kind of have a car in that my mum will add me to her insurance(although she has a huge people carrier so that's going to cost a bomb)...but I'm really failing to see the point in my learning atm.

My mum is making me,lol.

I'd say do it though,you might as well get it out of the way.
    I was insured on my parents people carrier - for some reason people always want you to be the designated driver!

ReputationRep:
    Lol,did you get pulled over loads by the police?

I can just see it happening to me...I mean,how many young girls(19 in my case...although apparently I look 17,lol) can afford an expensive people carrier...let alone the insurance for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrychocolate)
    Lol,did you get pulled over loads by the police?

I can just see it happening to me...I mean,how many young girls(19 in my case...although apparently I look 17,lol) can afford an expensive people carrier...let alone the insurance for it.
    nah i was never stopped by them - they could never catch me!

Mark
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As it will be over the summer, you may be able to fit in lots of lessons (obviously depends if you work etc, but even then the evenings will be lighter) so you might be able to pass in 5 months. What I did was had my test booked for a few weeks after I started uni, had lessons til I went and then a few more at uni, and then came back and passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Considering it takes over 3 months to wait for a driving test in this area, and the majority of people do not pass first time, are you implying that the majority of adults are retarded? Also you are assuming people book the test after 2 months, in this case that may be fine if you have regular lessons, but not everyone can manage that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theisticandy)
    Considering it takes over 3 months to wait for a driving test in this area, and the majority of people do not pass first time, are you implying that the majority of adults are retarded? Also you are assuming people book the test after 2 months, in this case that may be fine if you have regular lessons, but not everyone can manage that.

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I took a year. I'm not retarded, I'm just not cocky. It depends on the person. People either take to it and can drive fine after a month or two of lessons, or have to learn slower. That doesn't make me retarded, it just means I'm not a natural.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.