The Student Room Group

New Secretary General: Step 1

...and the first step on the road to MY retirement :p:

If you HAVE already applied (you know who you are), please feel free to PM me a statement to be put up here for every Tom, Dick and Harry in the General Assembly to gawp at. You don't have to. Not if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

If you have NOT already applied, but would like to, it's not too late. Yet. PM me ASAP to let me know of your interest, and PM a statement if you want to, and you're in the race.

Statements should be No More Than Three Hundred Words. If you do NOT intend to submit one, please PM me a line to let me know, so I'm not hanging around waiting for statements from people who have no intention of writing one.

Step 2 will be the poll...

By the way: The New Secretary General will be decided by this poll, but may not actually enter office until a later date. The changeover date is yet another thing for the People to decide.

STATEMENTS:

Nightowl
Nightowl's little blue book

For the past few months, I have been a representative in this MUN. First, it was Malaysia, and then I moved on to China. I am proud that I have become among the most active members, and will always* carry on as one of the most active members.

However, I feel I must carry on and serve the MUN. I feel that I have gained the trust of the MUN, and feel that I can be considered someone who people can always count on to be prompt, even handed, and an all round canny bloke.

I have many ideas for the future of the MUN. First and for most, you should know I intend to (with the mandate of the Reps of course) carry out reforms which will boost activity in the MUN. For example, a motion will be brought forward to the General Assembly to consider applying to expand the press releases team so they can report on what’s happening on the World stage, as well as the House of Commons.

Because I will not be representing a country anymore, but wish to stay as one of the most active members on the sub forum, I will change the current system so the Secretary General can also bring matters to the attention of the MUN.

I will also get the House system up and running again with the introduction of weekly mass PMing.

I am restrained with a word limit so must stop there, however I assure you I have other ideas, ideas which with my experience I have formed, which I am sure will make the MUN a happier, more active and interesting board to be a part of. Viva la MUN!

brimstone
Representing both Sierra Leone and India, I feel that I have been one of the most active members of the Model United Nations since I have joined. Despite criticism, I believe that I have represented my countries fairly and with honour. I also believe that I bolstered the reputation of Sierra Leone whilst I was representing it. As representative for both of these nations, I have always used my initiative when posting threads, and feel that some of the topics I posted were very diverse. When responding to threads, I always take the stance of my country, and feel that I represent them correctly.

Aside from just representing these nations, I have been a deeply involved part of the administration side of the MUN. I helped to remove inactive members from the board, paving the way for better representatives to act as spokespeople for America, Italy and Iceland. I was also elected to be a non-permanent member of the Security Council, proving that I can represent my countries well. From all of this, I have gained knowledge on the administration process of the MUN, something that will help me greatly if elected to be Secretary General.

If elected to be Secretary General, I have no doubt that I would do only good for the MUN, and increase it’s reputation and standing to the general members of TSR. I will implement procedures that I feel will increase activity in the MUN, and lead to many interesting and active threads, in which all representatives can take part. I will also initiate an overhaul in the disciplinary procedures, making sure that inactive members are removed, to stop the MUN being ruined for those who do participate regularly.

In conclusion, electing me to the post of Secretary General will be a decision you will not regret. I will make the Model United Nations a better place for all of us to participate in. You will not regret voting for me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is there a time limit people should be aware of?
Reply 2
For which part?
Reply 3
For submitting statements.
Reply 4
Just for step one in general.
Reply 5
For new applications, it's a case of "by the time I post the poll", and to be fair if you're too inactive to get it done by then, then (a) you shouldn't be SG and (b) nobody's going to vote for you anyway.

For statements, it's self-regulating - we move on once either a statement or a lack-of-statement has been submitted by everyone.
Reply 6
Ok cool. Im not planning to apply just was curious.
Reply 7
Agent Smith
...and the first step on the road to MY retirement :p:

If you HAVE already applied (you know who you are), please feel free to PM me a statement to be put up here for every Tom, Dick and Harry in the General Assembly to gawp at. You don't have to. Not if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

If you have NOT already applied, but would like to, it's not too late. Yet. PM me ASAP to let me know of your interest, and PM a statement if you want to, and you're in the race.

Statements should be No More Than Three Hundred Words. If you do NOT intend to submit one, please PM me a line to let me know, so I'm not hanging around waiting for statements from people who have no intention of writing one.

Step 2 will be the poll...

By the way: The New Secretary General will be decided by this poll, but may not actually enter office until a later date. The changeover date is yet another thing for the People to decide.

why are you retiring??? you are doing a great job Yemen is extremely saddened by this news
Reply 8
ahmed
why are you retiring??? you are doing a great job Yemen is extremely saddened by this news

Its not really new news.
Reply 9
Dhesi
Its not really new news.

it is very new news to me, how long has it not been new news 2 days???
Reply 10
Like, 3-4 weeks!
Reply 11
Will the SG's term still be indefinate? Or will we have bi-monthly (example) elections?
Reply 12
I think that the SGs term should be decided by whoever is in that position at the time. Unless, of course, they're doing a bad job, and we can have my fave - a vote of no confidence!
Reply 13
brimstone
I think that the SGs term should be decided by whoever is in that position at the time. Unless, of course, they're doing a bad job, and we can have my fave - a vote of no confidence!

Agreed!
i think there should be a set term for the SG
Reply 15
ahmed
i think there should be a set term for the SG

I like the indefinite until they decide, but if we do have set terms they should be long (6 months+) and eligible for re election.
Reply 16
Nightowl
I like the indefinite until they decide, but if we do have set terms they should be long (6 months+) and eligible for re election.

I agree with that.
Reply 17
Nightowl

Agreed!
Reply 18
I Agree
Reply 19
So we all agree then :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending