The Student Room Group

Am I intellectually inferior to those at Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by member591354
I emphasise with your case; I also lack confidence. Congratulations on getting into Warwick University, that is a commendable achievement. :h:

The key is that they didn't interview XD I've dealt with my issues now, so all is good.
I can't forfeit a chance to study at such a prestigious establishment due to some syndrome I may have. I will perservere in improving my conversational skills, as I can be quite fluent when discussing my academic interests. I just hate small talk, it is such a waste of time. Also, my happiness is certainly not my priority; education and learning are all that matter to me.

Small talk isn't really important in that context, since the interview(s) will revolve more or less entirely around your academic interests. I assure you that a lack of general conversational skills will not be a colossal impediment; at least not if you are, as you say, fluent when it comes to discussion of your interests. I did well enough at interview to earn a place and I'm not a particularly great conversationalist, to say the least.

On topic, on average any given person will be intellectually inferior to any given Oxbridge student, simply by the nature of those institutions. However, missing an offer certainly doesn't mean that you aren't clever, and it doesn't even necessarily mean that you aren't as clever as people who did get in. Some people have all the requisite qualifications and intelligence, and simply miss out because there weren't enough places. Others maybe don't come across as well at interview, but are ultimately more intellectually able than someone who may be more confident/more engaged in extra-curricular activity. There are an incalculable number of variables, so many that it's impossible to draw an absolute dividing line between successful and unsuccessful applicants.
Reply 22
Original post by Peel
No offence, but why are you so insecure about being "intellectually inferior" to Oxbridge students? There's loads of other great universities there, and tbh intelligence is really overrated - it means and translates to very little in the real world. People on TSR should really stop using their university and degree subject to define themselves so much.

Firstly, I am a very insecure person. Read my comments for further evidence of this. Secondly, intelligence is integral to being a great academic along with commitment and other such attributes. I want to be an academic my whole life, so it is essential. My degree subject, rather than the university I attend, will mostly define me. I adore my chosen field; although I will not reveal it here. I will surely be judged harshly and mocked.
I can't forfeit a chance to study at such a prestigious establishment due to some syndrome I may have. I will perservere in improving my conversational skills, as I can be quite fluent when discussing my academic interests. I just hate small talk, it is such a waste of time. Also, my happiness is certainly not my priority; education and learning are all that matter to me.

It's not always just your happiness though. A family friend's daughter went to cambridge to study maths, and really couldn't cope with it for various reasons, and ended up becoming very ill with glandular fever. Obviously this is an extreme example, but I think this is the sort of outcome admissions tutors want to avoid.

Whilst I am sure you are an excellent candidate, and have every chance of getting in to Oxbridge, there are many prestigious universities in the UK, and I genuinely believe prestige should not be your first consideration when applying to university. Enjoying the experience is important, because you won't do as well if you're miserable and stressed all the time.

You don't actually mention what you want to study there (or I missed it) but I do think the tutors want you to be passionate about your course, instead of passionate about your institution.
Reply 24
That's a little unfair. I have Asperger's Syndrome and don't fair well in conversations with people I am unfamiliar with. I hope I am not disadvantaged due to my neuroanatomy... :s-smilie:

Don't worry about this mate. I'm an aspie (mild though) and am going to study economic at Cambridge in October. Never let having aspergers hold you back!
Reply 25
You probably aren't, I found with them a lot rode on what school you went to, where you lived and my parent's financial status -_-

Sent from The Student Room's Android App
Original post by RedBedHead
You probably aren't, I found with them a lot rode on what school you went to, where you lived and my parent's financial status -_-

Sent from The Student Room's Android App

Yeah, this. Actually, the interviews and admissions tests are just a show -- the real decisions are based purely on whether daddy earned enough to put you through Eton.
Original post by tory88
Not necessarily. Obviously there's a higher chance than picking someone from the general population, but not a guarantee by any means. I interviewed for Oxford and was rejected. Now, that could be because I was going for the wrong subject (which I do genuinely believe played a part), didn't go to a private school (which I don't) or was academically inferior to my peers, but in actuality it was because I came across badly at interview. The ability to interview, certainly in my case, was linked to confidence, which I didn't have much of at the time so I got nervous and messed up. So if anything I think for me it probably shows that I should have gone for a different subject (having studied for a year, I now know this was the case) and lacked confidence compared to others.

Not having gone to a private school or even being shy wouldn't really have made much of a difference, tbh :nah:
Reply 28
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not having gone to a private school or even being shy wouldn't really have made much of a difference, tbh :nah:

No, but being so nervous about being in that situation that I screwed up my answers because I was stumbling over my words and getting confused would. I don't believe the private school bearing had much impact on my status (save for interview practice) as I stated in the post - I just had it there to illustrate I wasn't clutching at all the usual straws like a lot of Oxbridge rejects.
Original post by tory88
No, but being so nervous about being in that situation that I screwed up my answers because I was stumbling over my words and getting confused would. I don't believe the private school bearing had much impact on my status (save for interview practice) as I stated in the post - I just had it there to illustrate I wasn't clutching at all the usual straws like a lot of Oxbridge rejects.

Even so, it's misleading to put that down to the school you go to. Being nervous crosses all class and schooling barriers! Not to mention that not all private schools provide such practice and many state schools do. In any case, the tutors can differentiate between those who are terribly nervous and have something to say, and those who are nervous and have nothing to say, and those who just simply have nothing to say :yes: It's not as clear-cut as you were making out :nah:
Reply 30
i wouldnt say so. I actually got equivalent to EEE at college and i dont consider myself inferior i just need one more year at college lol. Nah intelligence is more thatn how well you test or interview its about many things and common sense is hugely impotant and oxbridge students dont all have this even though they are extremely capable. Just do the best you can and try get a good degree at a uni that suits you. Never feel inferior to anyone because we can all achieve great things and personally i never let anyone put me dont because intend to go uni and kick ass. Good luck :smile:
Course for course the chances are that you are (although if you go to UCL, Bristol, Bath etc I doubt there's much of a distinction) but not definitely.
Of course people who got rejected aren't intellectually inferior, there are numerous reasons why someone would be rejected, whether it be a uni application or a job. Assuming you met their entry requirements, you might not have demonstrated your commitment enough in your personal statement or not taken enough "traditional" subjects that they prefer. These are just examples but people who get rejections shouldn't feel stupid or inferior, in many cases it's not necessarily down to your actual grades; you aren't guaranteed a place just because you meet/exceed the entry requirements.
Reply 33
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Even so, it's misleading to put that down to the school you go to. Being nervous crosses all class and schooling barriers! Not to mention that not all private schools provide such practice and many state schools do. In any case, the tutors can differentiate between those who are terribly nervous and have something to say, and those who are nervous and have nothing to say, and those who just simply have nothing to say :yes: It's not as clear-cut as you were making out :nah:

I don't put it down to the school I went to, that was my point. I put it down to my effective breakdown in the interview, which was to do with my psychological state and nothing to do with school. I do take issue with your last point, as I had things to say but don't think I came across as if I did (obviously there's no way to know for sure). There were quite a few questions that I screwed up and tripped over myself on, but later that day when thinking about it could do easily (I'm talking normal AS level stuff even) and I did better in my second and third interview, because In felt less nervous. I'm not using it as an excuse - I don't think I was as intelligent as some of the people on the course, and I certainly agree it isn't clear cut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending