a good path into IB...??? Watch

gogna500
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi, every1, im thinkin of goin into IB. Im still in the 6th form and still deciding what i wanna do at uni. I was thinking of doing Chemistry at a really good uni, eg. Imperial, notts, St.Andrews, UCL and warwick. If i got a 2:1 or a 1st degree in chemistry at one of these unis, wt r the chances of getting into a gd investment bank..?

ohh, and also, is it true that employers are now looking for employees with a physics degree from a good uni..? do these student have an advantage as to obtain a physics degree is difficult..? reply back asap to my questions
Jan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
chemistry/physics makes little difference, as long as the degree is highly quantitative..

go for the one you enjoy, you're most likely to get the 1st/2.i there.
gogna500
Rep:
?
what degrees do u think makes sum1 have a gd chance of getting into a big investment bank and why wud chemistry make little difference..?
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what degrees do u think makes sum1 have a gd chance of getting into a big investment bank and why wud chemistry make little difference..?
you might want to start with learning not to use 'do u', 'sum1', 'gd', 'wud' etc

1) top university
2) preferably quantitative
3) chemistry vs physics makes little difference, that's what I meant.
gogna500
Rep:
?
lol, ill use better english with you from now on. So, do you think that chemistry would be a right move for me, because i do enjoy it and i really want to do IB. If i did do it at the universities i mentioned earlier, do you think i have a good chance..?
Johan C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gogna500)
lol, ill use better english with you from now on. So, do you think that chemistry would be a right move for me, because i do enjoy it and i really want to do IB. If i did do it at the universities i mentioned earlier, do you think i have a good chance..?
See a good degree in Physics or Chemistry in one of the good unis (esp. Imperial or Oxbridge) will definitely be fine for getting into IB. But isn't the most logical choice Economics/Finance/something like that ? And also, wouldn't you feel uncomfortable starting IB knowing perfectly how to get throught the maths and stuff, but having only basic understanding of the economic/financial world ? I know I couldn't - not criticising at all though, just my 2 cents.
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
imperial/warwick, probably nottingam would be likely to get you to the interview stage..beyond that, it's up to you, your abilities and interest in finance.

don't let IB drive your life, it's far too early yet - get decent a-levels, apply for a respected degree at the best universities you can, preferably quantitative if you are thinking about markets..that's basically all you need to know at the moment, you can start taking it more seriously and doing some reserach during the summer before you go to university.

btw, reflecting on the post above, go for a subject you are passionate about - it doesn't have to be economics/finance.
Tortle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
gogna500,

Economics & Management at Oxford.

I don't see the point of doing a science degree if your want to get into Investment banking.
gogna500
Rep:
?
I know, but the problem is i dont do Economics at A level. I do 3 sciences and maths. To be honest with you, if i was an absolute genius at maths and actually enjoyed it, i would consider to take it on at uni. I enjoy chemistry so i just thought to ask the experts ( you guys ) for some advice. If i did a chemistry degree, how long would the conversion course be to get into IB, or isnt there a conversion course..?
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
not doing economics at A level isn't such a problem, but I don't see why not go for chemistry if that's what you like.

there's no conversion course..banks will want you to be a) the top at academics, b) motivated & interested in finance, c) soft skills..other than that, they'll train you on the job.
gogna500
Rep:
?
(Original post by Honza)
banks will want you to be a) the top at academics, b) motivated & interested in finance, c) soft skills..other than that, they'll train you on the job.
When you say the top at acedemics, do you mean GCSE'S, A LEVELS, and be the top in your year at uni..? Also, will banks look at GCSE results when you go for an interview. I got 5 A, 4B, 1 C at GCSE. will that be ok for IB
Tortle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does it really make sense to take chemistry if you want to go into investment banking? Think about it.
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I mean AAB+ and a solid 2.i from a good university..they would hardly care about your gcses.
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does it really make sense to take chemistry if you want to go into investment banking? Think about it.
you think about what you say..determination and passion for the subject you study is far more important for your success than whether it's economics, finance or chemistry..
Johan C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tortle)
Exactly ! Sure it'll never hinder the OP, and she should go for what interests her most, but I think it's simply more logical to go for smtg at least remotely linked with Finance.
gogna500
Rep:
?
Well, what else am i going to do. I was thinking about Money, Banking and Finance at b'ham or cardiff, but honza told me a couple of days ago that there would be a fairly small chance, if none to be successful at getting a good job. I cant do economics because i dont offer it at A-Level. Do you have any suggestions Tortle..?
Tortle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, what else am i going to do. I was thinking about Money, Banking and Finance at b'ham or cardiff, but honza told me a couple of days ago that there would be a fairly small chance, if none to be successful at getting a good job. I cant do economics because i dont offer it at A-Level. Do you have any suggestions Tortle..?
Here's a suggestion, talk to a proper career counselor in person.
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I said that you can do economics without A level several posts above..

1) most career counselors should be imprisoned at least, if not shot dead

2) most people don't seem to understand the fundamentals about university
a) if you are not passionate about your subject, you will never get into oxbridge
b) if you are not very interested in the subject, you are very unlikely to get into the top universities
c) if you are not very interested in the subject, you will hate your degree and hardly get a good 2.i class
d) there's more to life than IB, ie. your interests and curiosity about certain areas of human exploration
sugardaddy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I cant do economics because i dont offer it at A-Level.
None of the economics courses at degree level require A-Level Economics. It would obviously be preferable, as Cambridge have noted for example, but it's not essential like Maths.

As Honza has pointed out, go for what you are passionate about. It would be ridiculous not to.

Out of sheer curiousity - are you interested in IB because of the projected high salaries?
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
I don't see the point of doing a science degree if your want to get into Investment banking.
Really? That's not a good reflection on you to be honest.

What if you are, for example, covering the chemicals/pharmaceutical sector and need to read through the performance report of a new chemical compound?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
27.03%
No (459)
72.97%

Watched Threads