The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

What are the crowds like at Southampton? Does it feel crowded or is it relatively empty?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by TheMoon
I'm not a current student (well I will be in a couple weeks) but it's definitely a campus university - most of the buildings are on Highfield campus, and some are on Avenue or Winchester campus.

The main campus itself isn't in the city centre but it's still in the city (so not isolated), you could look at google maps or something to see whereabouts it's located.

There's no accommodation directly on campus as far as I'm aware though.

Accommodation wise, Glen Eyre and Highfield halls are both about 10 mins from campus, and Wessex Lane is about 20 mins from campus, both walking distances.

If your doing Oceanography or Marine biology, you'll be working mostly at NOCS which is in the city centre. Also, Medical students will be mostly working at the general hospital, which you can see on Google maps. Except from that, most people have their lectures either at Highfield or Avenue, which are about 10 minutes walk between each other.

Hope this helps
Original post by LiamzB
What are the crowds like at Southampton? Does it feel crowded or is it relatively empty?

It does get busy on campus, especially in the morning when everyone has a 9am or in the evenings when people are leaving, but I'd say it's generally not busy any other time, as most students are either at home or in lectures.
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could transfer from a Bachelors to a masters? I was hoping to enter on the BEng Electronic Engineering (H610) course and transfer to MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (H602).
Original post by BradleyAustin97
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could transfer from a Bachelors to a masters? I was hoping to enter on the BEng Electronic Engineering (H610) course and transfer to MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (H602).

You can usually transfer to any master's course after good performance in your first year (usually a 2:1 or above). The degrees are quite flexible, and for the first 2 years, you will be doing mostly the same core modules as everybody else.

For the actual transfer, I don't know what you have to do, as I applied for the MChem Chemistry through UCAS and that is now what I am studying. I assume you may have to speak to your course coordinator in your second year, but you should have a while yet.

Hope this helps
Thank you thomanat, that really helps :smile:
Original post by BradleyAustin97

If you want to do the MEng then apply for the MEng.

There’s no benefit to applying to a BEng if you want to do the masters.
Original post by PQ
If you want to do the MEng then apply for the MEng.

There’s no benefit to applying to a BEng if you want to do the masters.

I would but I can just about meet the entry criteria, I won't be meeting the criteria for the MEng...
Original post by Unilife Student Living
If you're thinking of moving to Southampton make sure you check our Unilife Student accommodation, www.unilife.co.uk
Unilife offers students a safe, stylish, comfortable and functional space to relax, study and enjoy with friends. All of our student studio properties in Southampton and Portsmouth include unlimited high speed internet, laundry credits, your own smart TV and the luxury of a double bed with en-suite. We’ve listened to thousands of students and together we’ve created the ultimate student living experience.

Best regards,
Kim

Original post by HamptonSqSouthampton
Hey
Not sure if you have heard about your accommodation yet... so if you havent check out Hampton Square, its 10minutes from the university of Southampton and has a mixture of students and a significant amount of Post Grads.

We have loads of great facilities onsite including, cinema room, gym, study rooms etc at no extra cost and all bills are included.

Feel free to have a look at the videos of the rooms below and if you need any more info get in touch 02382 148421 we are happy to help.

Cluster Flat Kitchen

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhXFSGs-6p2QbB3Cd10vrwuYmAU

Cluster Flat

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhXFSGs-6p2Qbeowk1dApbSmT6M

Studio
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhXFSGs-6p2Qb09dMZr1EvTpYLw

As a Southampton student, DO NOT listen to these people from companies trying to flog you luxury flats.

As a first year student you are guaranteed University of Southampton halls as long as you apply before the Accommodation Guarantee Deadline (In my case, it was 1st August). I personally missed the deadline as I applied after I got my place (I applied on the 18th of August), but I still got into halls.

If you go to private luxury halls like UrbaLife, Unilife or Hampton Square they will mostly be filled with 2nd, 3rd, 4th or postgrads. There are many foreign Chinese students at both that aren't sociable and don't speak good English. You are setting yourself up for social isolation, loneliness and depression. You will struggle to make friends with first year students if you go to these halls, as nearly all first year students go to official halls.

If you go to University of Southampton halls, everyone will be a fresher and you make some really close friends.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi!I’d like to ask someone from computer science; what’s the programme like? It looks like the focus would be greatly on software engineering and less on algorithms/data science/mathematical stuff. I didn’t even find any math courses in the programme when I looked. I’m a current first-year CS student abroad and received an offer from Southampton (and Newcastle) so now I need more info to make any decision. 🤔 I’m not that sure I’d enjoy an engineering career as much as everything else CS can lead me to
Hi, I have applied to do biology at Southampton. I sent off my UCAS and got a reply from them on the same day and have given me an interview. Is this a good thing? (As all my 4 other choices gave me an offer) do you know what the interviews for an undergraduate student are like?
Original post by emily569
Hi, I have applied to do biology at Southampton. I sent off my UCAS and got a reply from them on the same day and have given me an interview. Is this a good thing? (As all my 4 other choices gave me an offer) do you know what the interviews for an undergraduate student are like?

:hello:
Firstly congratulations with getting an invite to interview :ahee:
This is definitely a good thing! Interviews are really helpful to both you, to see if you like the uni, and the admission team to ensure they make the right decision in giving you an offer over others!
I have heard from my friends here (I am a Bsc 1st year chemistry student) that these are quite relaxed talks with an academic member of staff about areas of your personal statement with the occasional scientific problem/question aimed at you.
These questions don't deviate too much from the A-level syllabus.
Remember that interviews are different for each person so I cannot guarentee the above information but good advice would be to look over that personal statement of yours!

Best of luck,
Cheese :smile:

P.S Can answer any qs about the uni itself also :yy:
Thank you so much for getting back to me. That has reassured me a lot. It’s just that I read on here someone got an offer for biology at Southampton and their predicted grades are BBC whereas the grades you need to get are AAB. And I am predicted ABB. I think hat just confused me and I was just a bit unsure as to why I am having an interview.
Hello,

New Year Greetings!

I am from India, and I have been looking to join a university for a post grad in Environmental Studies in 2018. I have looked at courses from different univ. but I found the curriculum from Imperial College London, University College London, Univ of Southampton and Univ of Leeds that I could look forward too.

Could someone here help me decide if Univ. of Southampton is a considerable option? If someone has an idea about the other three and could be honest, which one of these 4 univ. I should consider, I would be grateful.

My primary learning objectives include knowing about the science behind waste, water and environmental management. The processes, systems and technology that are being employed to manage the waste, wastewater and environment. I learn more through practice and observation, so merely theory in a curriculum wouldn't help me learn significantly.

Having said this, please share your opinion, what I should research for before enrolling myself.

Thanks in anticipation.
S.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey I was just wondering if you had an interview before they offered you a place and if so what was it like? Thank! Ps studying french and german x
Hi I have accepted my offer for Msc starting on September.
what if I want to cancel my contract after the 14days.
The 14 days end tomorrow :frown:
Original post by elinayp
Hi I have accepted my offer for Msc starting on September.
what if I want to cancel my contract after the 14days.
The 14 days end tomorrow :frown:

:erm:
Does anyone know how much we have to pay if we cancel the offer?
Original post by Atznock
Hi!I’d like to ask someone from computer science; what’s the programme like? It looks like the focus would be greatly on software engineering and less on algorithms/data science/mathematical stuff. I didn’t even find any math courses in the programme when I looked. I’m a current first-year CS student abroad and received an offer from Southampton (and Newcastle) so now I need more info to make any decision. 🤔 I’m not that sure I’d enjoy an engineering career as much as everything else CS can lead me to

I'm a postgrad student in CS at Southampton. I looked at the undergrad courses available using the intranet and you're right, there isn't much on data science/maths on offer. Otherwise, I would warn that the teaching quality is appalling. Southampton got the lowest rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (and deservedly so). A lot of the courses are really out of date (e.g. lecturers using powerpoint decks over 7 years old) which is a big problem in CS.
I have an offer from Southampton and I was wondering what’s the best accommodation if I’m looking for ensuite and self-catered. I want it to be social and I’ll be studying medicine so location-wise too? Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending