The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Physics > Philosophy

Hi, I have an AAB offer for physics. After a recent rethink I'm moving more towards philosophy based degrees, natural sciences at durham being my other main choice. How possible is it to switch to doing say philosophy with mathematical studies at st andrews? I do english Lit at A2 level and will get an A if that helps :smile:

cheers
john
Unless you're doing direct entry to second year, I think you should have a slot free in your module choices to pick up philosophy. This is how it works: my flatmate is currently doing modules in Physics, Maths and Astronomy with a view to getting an Astrophysics degree. If you do Physics, Maths is mandatory anyway. There's a strong possibility that they might let you do Philosophy as a third subject rather than the Astronomy module my flatmate is doing. You could then quite easily take Maths and Philosophy to honours and drop Physics.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Oh, and looking at the philosophy modules available to you in the course catalogue might help your decision - unlike most subjects, there is a choice of modules on various topics.
Reply 3
thanks guys for the replies. the only problem I can see is that I have been admitted to the science faculty, and philosophy is an arts subject. From what I understand aren't all first year modules meant to be from the same faculty?
anyway I've dropped them an email today to see whats going down. Just trying to see if I can get something close to the flexibility of durham's natsci degree.

thanks for the help
john

Latest

Trending

Trending