Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    omg! i was just reading that and it said wales has 5 cities, so i went through that list, counting the 5

i counted 3 welsh cities

then i read 'ENGLISH CITIES'

where am i from, you ask??

WALES!!

i'm such a carrot!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    omg! i was just reading that and it said wales has 5 cities, so i went through that list, counting the 5

i counted 3 welsh cities

then i read 'ENGLISH CITIES'

where am i from, you ask??

WALES!!

i'm such a carrot!!

lol....and i mean it, i really did laugh out loud. Well, sniggered to myself. bless you little one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    The cathedral definition is outdated.

Remember there was a whole competition for which towns could become cities at the turn of the millennium?
    Being from Milton Keynes, yes I do. We didn't have a hope in Hell.

I'm planning on putting UoB as my firm and my bro goes to UWE.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's fab! And it IS a city.
    As far as hills go... good exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    you are telling me that salisbury is a city?
    Yes

Its pretty arbitrary what being a city requires now anyway, an old university or cathedral will make a place one, as will lots of people.

As for Bristol, its got very negative press recently that fairly or not seems to have created a pretty charged atmosphere in the uni on the state/private issue (or so I hear). Kinda defeats the purpose of whatever they hoped to achieve.

I got rejected by them with 4A's anyway so highly suspicious (just waiting by the phone for the press to call, but they never do... ) Happy where I am now (no hills )

ReputationRep:
    what is this about the hill? park street? because that isnt exactly the worst of hills....

lookie: http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~aiba/1...l/Dsc00040.jpg

th two hills ive got to walk up to get home are worse than that....and park street is packed with studenty shops.

not at the uni but live in bristol, good nightlife, its on the circuit for bands and has more than enough places for clubbing etc.

ReputationRep:
    That huge storm cloud doesn't look too enticing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_)
    That huge storm cloud doesn't look too enticing
    Bristol gets a lot of rainfall, its an area surrounded and made up of hills, which attract lots of rain.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    Bristol gets a lot of rainfall, its an area surrounded and made up of hills, which attract lots of rain.....

It wasn't too bad in the winder thankfully. Probably lots of summer showers to come though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    It wasn't too bad in the winder thankfully. Probably lots of summer showers to come though..
    oh yes, pretty nasty today at times. second highest rainfall next to manchester i think bristol is overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    So what's the real deal with Bristol uni? Some say its posh, others say it's sloaney, some say its good, some say it's bad and others say it's a wannabe oxbridge. Some guides reckon it's earned it's reputation, other's say it hasn't. The town? Some say it's lacking "something", others compare it to Manchester! The halls? Miles away...some say thats good, others say it's rubbish. Union? any good?

So confused.

Anyone actually in Bristol studying or anyone turn it down?

I have to choose between Sheffield and Bristol.....which one which one?

OK i'm in my frst year at god old Brizol (as the locals would say) and i have loved it. Yes there is an element of sloanism but its easy to avoid it and you can avoid them all together if you just ignore anyone in a pashmina.

Yes the uni is wannabe oxbridge but so many places are now but don't let that put you off coming.
    The city has a wide variety of things to do and the halls that are out of the centre are right by white ladies road which was a road designed for pub crawls. Something thatyou will be doing a lot if you are in Stoke Bishop. Speaking of which, yes those halls are 2-3 miles away but the exercise does you good and you get a campus feel on stoke Bishop. it also gives you a chance to see another area of Bristol. If teh distance bothers you, there are halls in clifton ehcih are really close and if you are particularly lazy the Hawthortns our on the main university precinct.

The union forfills the needs of the students nothing more nothing less. As Bristol isn't a campus uni, the union isn't the centre of studetn life and most people go out into the city for nightlife rather than the union. In the first year the main focal point is the hall bars rather than the union and tight knit communities are built up which makes uni less depersonalised. Although in latter years as studetns move into their own houses more people go to the union bar etc. Its a 6 story building with laundry, swimming pool, bar.... all the usual stuff.

After virtualyl being hear for a year I don't regret my choice adn i would reccomnned it to anyone.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.