Turn on thread page Beta

Student account - best time to apply? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When is the best time to apply for a student bank account? I've tried to apply for one at Halifax, but they wouldn't accept me, I have no idea why. Is it too early to apply or something?

ReputationRep:
    yeh tis way too early! wait till you've had your offers on results day!

most banks need the as12 letter from ucas.

ReputationRep:
    Yup do it after results day. Until then give the SLC the details of your current bank account, and then when your new student account is set up you can send the SLC a change of details form, it's really simple and they send these forms out to everyone. xx

ReputationRep:
    people with unconditionals can apply anytime after the they've accepted the offer, but I'm waiting til the autumn in case of freebies!

ReputationRep:
    barclays opened mine with no proof id had an offer, applied or anything!

ReputationRep:
    lisa2k, did you get the free 3 years national express pass?

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    i went to natwest last week to open a student account (i have a confirmed place) They cant actually open them until June and you have to open a current account first...i didnt, dont have enough money to keep two accounts running

so yeah, June time is when you apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xavier2k3)
    lisa2k, did you get the free 3 years national express pass?

regards
    --marty
    yeh. and a discount card for loads of places (although most of them in london and none particularly useful)

also got a connect card (which is cheque guarantee so a step up from my old electron card), a cheque book and an overdraft. only £200 but they'd probably increase it if i asked, haven't bothered though cos i don't need it yet. they even asked if i wanted to apply for a credit card but i don't want one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *carly*)
    i went to natwest last week to open a student account (i have a confirmed place) They cant actually open them until June and you have to open a current account first...i didnt, dont have enough money to keep two accounts running
    how do you mean money to keep accounts running? I opened my current account when I was 16 and no money went in til I got my first wages when I was 18.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I went into NatWest and the lady said it would be best to open it later in the year, so you get the freebies and such. So should I just put my current (Nationwide) account details down on all the forms, and when I open the new one up change it?

Its weird, the loan forms want details now, but banks don't want you to sign up. You think they'd work together or something.

ReputationRep:
    you can get your loan paid into any bank account you have. and its really easy to change the details later on.

think they ask for an account now so they know they can definitely pay it into somewhere, you can always transfer it. some people are disorganised and don't get student accounts sorted til they are actually at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drawmeamonkey)
    you can get your loan paid into any bank account you have. and its really easy to change the details later on.

think they ask for an account now so they know they can definitely pay it into somewhere, you can always transfer it. some people are disorganised and don't get student accounts sorted til they are actually at uni.
    Cheers. I just figured a change of details form would be long, complex and take a long time to process. Ta for the help.

ReputationRep:
    I am about to open a student account at HSBC, they offer one thousand pound guarenteed overdraft in the first year which goes up every year, they also have a choice of freebies too. To apply you need to have proof of your offer at uni( either a letter from ucas or the uni), seems better than all the other banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyTwo)
    Hmm I went into NatWest and the lady said it would be best to open it later in the year, so you get the freebies and such. So should I just put my current (Nationwide) account details down on all the forms, and when I open the new one up change it?

Its weird, the loan forms want details now, but banks don't want you to sign up. You think they'd work together or something.
    if you open a bog-standard current account at the bank where you plan to have your student account now, then in the summer you can upgrade it to a student account and your account number wont change. so no need for a change of details form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa_2k)
    if you open a bog-standard current account at the bank where you plan to have your student account now, then in the summer you can upgrade it to a student account and your account number wont change. so no need for a change of details form
    when you upgrade to a student one do you get the freebies though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hralipour)
    when you upgrade to a student one do you get the freebies though?
    i did. make sure you time it right though - some banks only have them in the summer

ReputationRep:
    yeah i opened a HSBC account last week, I had all the staff confused though because I was the first person to ask to open one this year so I had to open a pre student account, whatever that is, and it'll automatically get upgraded to a student account and the overdraft will start in around august/september.

I had to show my UCAS unconditional offer letter though (I did my A-Levels last year).

I was told i wouldnt get any freebies though because I'm opening it so early but i don't really want any, I already have a rail pass and a few free CDs I can't be arsed with.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me the best banks to open a student account with based on past experience or just what people have told you? i.e good freebies, amount of interest charged on overdraft etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    Whichever one offers the free railcard over 5 years (i don't know which ones it would be this year but i'm guessing it would be natwest and hsbc)

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.