Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how respected is this degree?
    Does BEconSc stand as Economic Science, and is this what the degree is classified as?
    Please reply

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to reply to you as you're an Arsenal fan and I'm United all the way but... I suppose I should. :p:
    I think it stands for Economic and Social Sciences... but I'm not sure. I'm doing politics as part of the BA(Econ) and it may be the same sort of thing. Sorry couldn't be more help.

ReputationRep:
    The BEconSci degree is a bachelor of science degree. It is much more mathematical than the BA Economics, which im doing next year.

I'd say it is well respected but not as much as other BSc economics courses like LSE UCL Wawrick Bristol etc

check this out,

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...e=UMBF1-H8L102

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chad87)
    The BEconSci degree is a bachelor of science degree. It is much more mathematical than the BA Economics, which im doing next year.

I'd say it is well respected but not as much as other BSc economics courses like LSE UCL Wawrick Bristol etc

check this out,

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...e=UMBF1-H8L102
    yah, its a lot more mathsy than the BA ones.

its more like right below the top 3, oxbridge and lse.
    as for ucl, warwick, its debatable.
    certainly not below bristol ,because i know people did econ degrees there

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am thinking of putting the BEconS as my firm choice after I reject a few what are considered to be "first-tier" Unis because I really like the UoM. How respectable/good is this course in relation to the likes of LSE/UCL/Warwick/Nottingham/Bristol. Many people dont consider the economics department good because they are very low in the league tables and the fact that their research is only 4. Are these opinions true? One more thing, when it comes to applying to jobs, will you be at a disadvantage if you are competing with UCL/LSE/Warwick/Bristol/Nottingham grads?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haji747)
    Hi

I am thinking of putting the BEconS as my firm choice after I reject a few what are considered to be "first-tier" Unis because I really like the UoM. How respectable/good is this course in relation to the likes of LSE/UCL/Warwick/Nottingham/Bristol. Many people dont consider the economics department good because they are very low in the league tables and the fact that their research is only 4. Are these opinions true? One more thing, when it comes to applying to jobs, will you be at a disadvantage if you are competing with UCL/LSE/Warwick/Bristol/Nottingham grads?

Thank you
    we will never know how good this course is in respect of other unis, unless you've studied in all of them. their research was 5 in 2004 ish. obviously LSE is considered much better in this kind of area. when it comes below that it doesnt make much difference whether you study in nottingham or manchester. you get good lecturers and bad ones in every uni. I was suprised to know that the econ department is ranked very low?? because the lecturers are fairly respectable. I know people who graduated with a 1st class from econ and went on to IB (some had 2.1s), some went to cambridge for postgrad. it really depends on yourself , how hard you work and how good you are when it comes to employment.

ReputationRep:
    I think these threads are always a bit stupid, it depends on the individual candidate. Manc may not be so good for economics as Notts or Warwick, but if your the best economist at Manc, get a first, get a very good reference from ur tutors etc..... Then ur way more likely to get a job than someone with a 2.2 at warwick... Plus its not all about grades when getting a job, it is the bigger picture they look at. E.g. Whether you could work well in a team, are you a people person etc etc...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.